Brian Ortega asked Dana White to be paid for UFC 226

Probably costed Ortega a shitload of money to attend.
Worse yet, i bet Holloway will get paid something at least, as is tradition.

https://mmajunkie.com/2017/03/tony-...an-half-his-contracted-show-money-for-ufc-209

Obviously Ortega doesn't have any sway, but if he doesn't get anything for putting in the time and fulfilling his obligations, than i'd think it's time to go the Rousey route and stop doing media events.

If UFC pays fighters when their opponent pulls out, no fighter will ever accept a replacement fight again.
So? The UFC is the one failing to deliver their agreed upon deal with the fighter. How about fighters stop training before fights? Because it costs money that they aren't guarunteed to get revenue to cover? How will the sport be then?

If a fighter pulls out due to injury, and the opponent is there, weighs in, he deserves to be paid his show money. There should be a time period restriction, maybe the week of the fight or something, maybe 2-3 weeks out. But no way Ortega shouldn't get paid. That is complete bullshit.

Unless you are the champ or sell 700k+ ppvs, the managers have very little power and pretty much just take what the ufc gives.
Not always true. Look at the deals guys coming over from strikeforce or Bellator have gotten. You have to be willing to use free agency to raise your asking price, and exploit the limited free market that exists.

I said almost all of this earlier in the thread except for the boxing comparison

The reason boxing and MMA isn't comparable is there is no dominant boxing organization. The UFC has made the brand bigger than the athlete. They should have fought against that harder, like boxers did but they didn't and that fight has for all intents and purposes been lost. Unionizing is the most intelligent course of action to combat that at this point

It may seem intelligent on the surface but until the question of whether or not UFC fighters are employees or independent contractors is fully addressed it can't happen. Right now the UFC defines the fighters as independent contractors. Essentially 500 plus little independent companies. Except they aren't as the UFC levels all kinds of restrictions on them that you could never do with true independent contractors

Also a union only works if they get every single fighter under contract to join. This isn't the 1920's, creating a union today is a very complex issue. In the states the employee free choice act still hasn't been passed (and likely won't under trump)

The US actually has one of the lowest union membership rates per capita of major countries in the world and declining rapidly.

There are ways around it. WME needs to just start treating this like an MMA organization instead of a circus show. Sounds like rich problems. Phukk WME. I'd rather they take a blow and the fighters are taken care of.
Easy to say when you're not the one running the business.

How these guys haven't started negotiating that into their contracts is beyond me

LOL You think that the UFC is just going to agree to that stipulation, especially now that WME is cutting as many costs as possible?

Any fighter who asks for guaranteed money would just get stonewalled and be forced to sit on the shelf until they accepted the UFC's terms.

They only way that they can improve the terms of employment is with collective action.

they should at least pay him some show money if not this event basically took money out his pocket

Yes bro.... A fucking a contender who is dependent on the UFC, is gonna strong arm the Biggest/Best Promotion in MMA by demanding things on a contract, that can easily hype up someone else to be a contender and fuck over Ortega.

I mean, we all know how Dana, Loves people who ask for too much...He never ever fucks them over after.<36>

Wow you people are fucking delusional lol.

Brian Ortega isn't fucking Conor/Brock/Ronda/etc to be asking for pay money incase a fighter drops out....He isn't on that fucking level at all.

If he tries that shit, the fight might of never taken place because Dana/UFC want complete control...Thus he would be fucked.

You people literally have no common sense....Fucking corporate cucks!
First off not understanding how business works doesn't put you on some moral high ground. If you think every fighter that tries to negotiate gets cut or told to fuck off, well you're wrong. Simple as that. Guys coming over from Bellator or strikeforce as champs or top contenders there were not getting standard contracts. Well known fighters that made their name in the ufc aren't settling for lowball contracts when they renegotiate.

In literally every other business, if you want to get paid what you feel you deserve, you have to negotiate. I don't know why people think fucking prize fighting is the one business that would magically be different.

Not always true. Look at the deals guys coming over from strikeforce or Bellator have gotten. You have to be willing to use free agency to raise your asking price, and exploit the limited free market that exists.
That’s true. Alvarez and reem are good examples of that.

LOL You think that the UFC is just going to agree to that stipulation, especially now that WME is cutting as many costs as possible?

Any fighter who asks for guaranteed money would just get stonewalled and be forced to sit on the shelf until they accepted the UFC's terms.

They only way that they can improve the terms of employment is with collective action.

Fighters have negotiated it before lol what are you even talking about

Collective action is necessary but none of the rest of this is true at all

I don't think he was asking for all of the money from the fight... just some money for the flight and promotion during the week.

It's ok though.. and he should be fine with it. This little sacrifice was worth not losing his title shot with Max... if Stephans some how got the upset.

I'm sure if Frankie could go back in time, he would have gladly gave up his show money to have been able to fight for the title.

If a fighter's opponent pulls out 1 week or less from the fight, they(the fighter) should be paid their show money, and not required to take a fight. But, the UFC could persuade them by paying them an incentive, or something.

I'm so sick and tired of fighters, athletes, and workers getting screwed. They need to form a fighter's union for shit like this.

Was really starting to like this guy but now all I can do is hope that Max tears him up if they ever fight.

Remember when Nate Diaz refused to rematch Conor without a better deal, and Dana did his usual bashing in the media, and Nate still sat out and refused to take the fight? He had leverage and he knew it, the ufc really wanted that fight made.

And they DID end up meeting in the middle somewhere and renegotiating. You have to be willing to stand your ground, or play free agency, if you think you have leverage.

It may seem intelligent on the surface but until the question of whether or not UFC fighters are employees or independent contractors is fully addressed it can't happen. Right now the UFC defines the fighters as independent contractors. Essentially 500 plus little independent companies. Except they aren't as the UFC levels all kinds of restrictions on them that you could never do with true independent contractors

Also a union only works if they get every single fighter under contract to join. This isn't the 1920's, creating a union today is a very complex issue. In the states the employee free choice act still hasn't been passed (and likely won't under trump)

The US actually has one of the lowest union membership rates per capita of major countries in the world and declining rapidly.

Collective action is more likely to be effective than attempting to boxing model in MMA. MMA does not have the built in long term fan bases or star power to support that system nor do they have the amateur production system boxing does. The also already have a company that is bigger than the sport. The majority of people think MMA is called UFC for god's sake.

This fight is lost. Collective action, being classified as employees and in the long run some form of collective bargaining is the only way fighters will ever get to a good position

Makes sense but Dana has paid guys in the past that had an opponent pull out late.
When they didn’t have a replacement... this was 2 days before weigh ins and he had two opponent choices and turned them down. That’s called two opportunities to go to work.

Back