Cohen's mystery 3rd Client

Speaking of Mob Bosses...

In today’s podcast, we look into the background of Michael Cohen. TPM first reported last year that Cohen was actually a childhood friend of Felix Sater, whose father was himself a reputed capo in the Mogilevich organized crime syndicate, said to be Russia’s largest and most dangerous. Filling out this picture of how Cohen fell into this milieu we’ve always been focused on the fact that Cohen’s uncle, Morton Levine, owned and ran a Brooklyn social club which was a well-known meeting spot for members of Italian and Russian organized crime families in the 1970s and 1980s. (Levine, a medical doctor has never been charged with a crime.) But now it turns out there’s a bit more to this story.

I came across this in a January AP article about Boris Nayfeld, one-time organized crime boss in Brooklyn, who now wants to go home to Russia to start a new life. Nayfeld is 70 and he just finished his latest prison sentence. The whole story is a bit low energy and a sad sack in a nonetheless menacing and predatory way. According to published reports, in the 70s and early 80s, the boss of the Russian mob in the U.S. was a man named Evsei Agron. Things ended badly for Agron when was gunned down in a mob hit in 1985.

After Agron was assassinated, his organization was taken over by Marat Balagula. Law enforcement apparently believed Balagula was behind Agron’s killing. But he was never charged with the crime. Balagula ran things until 1991 when he was convicted of gasoline bootlegging. Nayfeld had been the bodyguard and enforcer for both Agron and Balagula, one would say more successfully in the latter case than the former. He took over the organization when Balagula went to prison.

What I didn’t realize until now is that both Agron and his successor Balagula ran their operations out of an office in the El Caribe social club. So the El Caribe wasn’t just a mob hang out. From the 70s through the 90s at least, the bosses of the Russian mafia in the U.S. literally ran their crime organizations out of the El Caribe.

So Michael Cohen’s uncle Morton Levin’s social club was the headquarters of Russian organized crime in the U.S.

That’s quite something.

The AP article includes another detail. According to Levine, who is apparently still alive, all his nieces and nephews owned shares of the El Caribe and still do. Levine told the AP that Michael Cohen owned his stake in the club until Donald Trump was elected President when he “gave up his stake.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/good-grief-cohens-gets-mobbier-the-closer-i-look

Gasoline bootlegging? In 1991?

Its a point to establish origin connections which only leads to speculation. Need more in-depth reporting showing expanding connections with specific patterns to make that "big" conclusion.

In today’s podcast, we look into the background of Michael Cohen. TPM first reported last year that Cohen was actually a childhood friend of Felix Sater, whose father was himself a reputed capo in the Mogilevich organized crime syndicate, said to be Russia’s largest and most dangerous. Filling out this picture of how Cohen fell into this milieu we’ve always been focused on the fact that Cohen’s uncle, Morton Levine, owned and ran a Brooklyn social club which was a well-known meeting spot for members of Italian and Russian organized crime families in the 1970s and 1980s. (Levine, a medical doctor has never been charged with a crime.) But now it turns out there’s a bit more to this story.

I came across this in a January AP article about Boris Nayfeld, one-time organized crime boss in Brooklyn, who now wants to go home to Russia to start a new life. Nayfeld is 70 and he just finished his latest prison sentence. The whole story is a bit low energy and a sad sack in a nonetheless menacing and predatory way. According to published reports, in the 70s and early 80s, the boss of the Russian mob in the U.S. was a man named Evsei Agron. Things ended badly for Agron when was gunned down in a mob hit in 1985.

After Agron was assassinated, his organization was taken over by Marat Balagula. Law enforcement apparently believed Balagula was behind Agron’s killing. But he was never charged with the crime. Balagula ran things until 1991 when he was convicted of gasoline bootlegging. Nayfeld had been the bodyguard and enforcer for both Agron and Balagula, one would say more successfully in the latter case than the former. He took over the organization when Balagula went to prison.

What I didn’t realize until now is that both Agron and his successor Balagula ran their operations out of an office in the El Caribe social club. So the El Caribe wasn’t just a mob hang out. From the 70s through the 90s at least, the bosses of the Russian mafia in the U.S. literally ran their crime organizations out of the El Caribe.

So Michael Cohen’s uncle Morton Levin’s social club was the headquarters of Russian organized crime in the U.S.

That’s quite something.

The AP article includes another detail. According to Levine, who is apparently still alive, all his nieces and nephews owned shares of the El Caribe and still do. Levine told the AP that Michael Cohen owned his stake in the club until Donald Trump was elected President when he “gave up his stake.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/good-grief-cohens-gets-mobbier-the-closer-i-look

#nothingburger

Cohen's uncle basically owned the equivalent to The Bada Bing. And then Cohen owned a stake in it until Trump won the Presidency.

If Sater's father was a capo and Sater has since flipped and worked with the FBI as an informant - he's very likely working both sides all along. FBI likely knew it, and so did the Russians and both used it to their advantage.

It will take a Glenn Beck scenario to have him removed or even disciplined.
Glen Beck scenario? Care to refresh my memory of that? I mean, he seemed to have gone totally nuts but wouldn’t he fit right in there then?

Anyway, after being caught making shit up about other networks on his show, Hannity received nothing but support from his fans and Faux News, so this isn’t surprising. But it obviously renders anything that comes from the network unreliable at best, and purposefully misleading at worst. There ought to be a law...

He may as well flog his own brand of freeze dried prepper food on the show and ramble on about silver, it's not as if it will damage his credibility with his bovine audience....

Remember, his audience is... Increasing...... Just let that sink in...

"I am not Mr. Cohen's client..... but our communications should be protected by attorney client privilege." <WellThere>

Remember, his audience is... Increasing...... Just let that sink in...

People who voted for Trump just don't want his haters to be right about him, real news is too distressing for their cognitive dissonance to fend off, so they turn on Hannitty and go to the land of make believe.

People who voted for Trump just don't want his haters to be right about him, real news is too distressing for their cognitive dissonance to fend off, so they turn on Hannitty and go to the land of make believe.

200.gif

I got it. So if you are a democrat and have no family values you can't be called out on anything.
CNN is the beacon of journalistic integrity. Remember Donna Brazile?
BTW - I hate Sean Hannity. He ranks up there with that dude Rachel Maddow.
ANY time you find something untrue on that "dude" show, please come in here and say it.
Hannity lies on a daily basis, he does not even resemble anything that can be considered news. Your comparison is foolish, and just tell the truth, you like Hannity, its why you are in here posting.

Glen Beck scenario? Care to refresh my memory of that? I mean, he seemed to have gone totally nuts but wouldn’t he fit right in there then?

Beck still had the viewers. Its was the advertisers leaving that lead to his show being canceled on FOX News.

Beck still had the viewers. Its was the advertisers leaving that lead to his show being canceled on FOX News.
But aside from his overall shtick, why did he lose sponsors? I just don't recall.

That’s quite something.

Lol what?

Why is everyone Trump is close to closely involved with Russian crime?

No wonder Cohen has been under investigation for months.
This guys dirtier than Trumps Russian bed sheets.
If Sater's father was a capo and Sater has since flipped and worked with the FBI as an informant - he's very likely working both sides all along. FBI likely knew it, and so did the Russians and both used it to their advantage.

Once this corrupt disaster is over this administration isn't just going to get a HBO, Hallmark, Lifetime movie.

It's going to be a full fledged mob crime family blockbuster directed by Martin Scorcese.

He may as well flog his own brand of freeze dried prepper food on the show and ramble on about silver, it's not as if it will damage his credibility with his bovine audience....

{<jordan}

You're so right. The Cohen raid sent him all Glen Beck. This probably sealed it. Hannity's bringing full doomsday prepper to the major networks.

Funny that they're the party with control of every branch but it's Republicans going the most insane.
You won psychos. Chill out.

So you're just here to obfuscate the issue and cheer-lead for your team. Got it.

<bball2>

It seems that's the only tactic of the right in the War Room. Come in, troll, play dumb, lead posters off topic.
There's nothing left for them to defend about their party or this administration. It reeks of corruption head to toe.

Amazing.
Colbert was pretty boring when he took over the Late Show, but with how the Republican shit show has been his non interview segments have reminded me of Daily Show Jon Stewart.
I wish he never left. Trevor Noah is awful. Olivers format isn't that entertaining.

It's a true joy to watch another level of mental gymnastics on display by Trump/Hannity fans as this evidence emerges. Y'all are gonna end up like Jared Leto's Mom at the end of Requiem For a Dream, if you don't have something that tethers you to reality.

Watched that movie while high as a teen and messed me up real good.
The ending scenes are depressing as hell.

Welcome to 2018,

The news has been replaced by Trump fan fiction.

The only fiction being written is the fiction is by his supporters every time they write about how great he is.

Last edited:
Back