Social College students' average IQ has plunged

Weird that everyone just ignored the main take away that was actually in the OP and just started writing their own narrative.

In the 1940s something like 5% of people went to college. Today it's over 30%. Obviously the average is going to decrease when the pool of students is exponentially larger.

"“The decline in students’ IQ is a necessary consequence of increasing educational attainment over the last 80 years,” the researchers commented. “Today, graduating from university is more common than completing high school in the 1940s.”"

The average IQ today is still higher than it was in the 1940s when average IQ was like 80.

College used to be only for the most elite and the vast majority could earn a living with a high school diploma. Today it's for almost everyone just to get a call back on job application.

Obviously this is over a much wider range of students from varying backgrounds and educational standards as well, back in the 40s college was just for the elite and purely academic when there was hardly a concept of community colleges and vocational colleges that we have today. Many millions that we consider college graduates today attain their education through these less prestigious and less academic type of schools.

I'm sure if you compared today's actually elite educated students with those from the 1940s, it would be much less of a contest.

Last edited:
Weird that everyone just ignored the main take away that was actually into OP and just started writing their own narrative.

In the 1940s something like 5% of people went to college. Today it's over 30%. Obviously the average is going to decrease when the pool of students is exponentially larger.

"“The decline in students’ IQ is a necessary consequence of increasing educational attainment over the last 80 years,” the researchers commented. “Today, graduating from university is more common than completing high school in the 1940s.”"

The average IQ today is still higher than it was in the 1940s when average IQ was like 80.

College used to be only for the most elite and the vast majority could earn a living with a high school diploma. Today it's for almost everyone just to get a call back on job application.

Obviously this is over a much wider range of students from varying backgrounds and educational standards as well, back in the 40s college was just for the elite and purely academic when there was hardly a concept of community colleges and vocational colleges that we have today. Many millions that we consider college graduates today attain their education through these less prestigious and less academic type of schools.

I'm sure if you compared today's actually elite educated students with those from the 1940s, it would be much less of a contest.

I made that exact point (about avg IQ going decreasing due to greater percentage of the population going to college) in post 12.

Now imagine if we didn't have a drastic increase in Asian students as a % of student population to intellectually subsidize our universities.

Now imagine if we didn't have a drastic increase in Asian students as a % of student population to intellectually subsidize our universities.
A lot of the those Asian students cheat

A lot of the those Asian students cheat
How smart of them!

I have seen it in some regards though. I remember back in Canada during high school, a lot of the Asian kids would meet up with Asian kids from previous years and have a catalogue of tests/assignments for each subject/teacher. They would use that as studying material or to predict the questions on the tests. I got in once and the math test was almost the exact same except the numbers/scenarios were slightly different. However the concepts being tested were the exact same barring maybe one question.

However it seems a lot of them got filtered out in university. Saw a lot of people who got amazing grades have to either change schools or majors to an easier one because they'd cheated their way to the top. I would imagine most good universities manage to filter out the ones who cheated to get there.

How smart of them!

I have seen it in some regards though. I remember back in Canada during high school, a lot of the Asian kids would meet up with Asian kids from previous years and have a catalogue of tests/assignments for each subject/teacher. They would use that as studying material or to predict the questions on the tests. I got in once and the math test was almost the exact same except the numbers/scenarios were slightly different. However the concepts being tested were the exact same barring maybe one question.

However it seems a lot of them got filtered out in university. Saw a lot of people who got amazing grades have to either change schools or majors to an easier one because they'd cheated their way to the top. I would imagine most good universities manage to filter out the ones who cheated to get there.
I meant a lot of international students from Asia who are enrolled in universities, cheat.

Same thing here, teachers union said same entrance tests that were used in 80s and 90s could not be used today because people would not be able to pass it

Me too. They seem to really love those jokes at that university.

I have never heard of that University and don't know how long they were shooting vids to accumulate what they got, but some of that, while sad, things on history and geography and stuff I am not surprised about because that usually involves an inquisitive mind and a lot of people don't have those for things that affect them in the here and now.

But the basic math of things like 15 times 3 it very odd to me because that effects people in the here and now so much. How does one function in society being that ignorant of basic math? Like just going to a store and you buy a few things, when you get to the register do you just trust whatever number comes up right if it could be way off the reality of what it should be? Especially when 15 is such a common interval for time. Setting up meetings etc 30 minutes and hour, 45. Or show playtimes and stuff. How does someone do budgeting, savings/investment decisions, understand salaries and taxes etc with such piss-poor numeracy?

That just is mind boggling to me.

Only the few went to college back in the day. Everybody goes now. No surprise here imo...

The drop of 17 points is absolutely massive

ACT scores have also declined substantially

The average IQ of the American population in general has taken a nosedive

I would wager the iq of the general population has declined in the US

We fucking elected a reality star/ rapist/ con-man who wears orange foundation into the highest office in the country, and are prepped to do it again despite epic failure.

1604127981-1581235214-donald-trump-orange-face.jpeg

Shit is absolutely surreal.

True Idiocracy.

I mentioned this in another thread on this subject. The Flynn effect has raised the average IQ by 3pts per decade.

1939 --> 2019 = 8 decades. That's a 24 point increase in IQ.

Compared to the 17 point decrease in measured IQ and today's college students are slightly smarter than their 1939 counterparts.

blog_flynn_reversal.jpg

Yeah I blame SoMe and especially TiKToK.
It has made people dumber no doubt.
I agree up to a point. Did you see @Sir Punchalot's post? (a bit above your post) A second-grader should be able to answer most of the questions.

3x3x3=9
How the fuck do you come up with 9?!?!?!?!?!?

I agree up to a point. Did you see @Sir Punchalot's post? (a bit above your post) A second-grader should be able to answer most of the questions.

3x3x3=9
How the fuck do you come up with 9?!?!?!?!?!?
They know the answer, it's just that, math is racist so they'll just play dumb.

Back