Congressman to UFC, Bellator: "Move to a real league system"

How didn’t they? Cody beat Cruz for the belt. Joanna beat Carla, and Bisping beat rockhold. I’m not agreeing with the way the ufc has done things, I’m just saying this guy saying none of the three fighters that won that night are world champions is bullshit.

By his logic they didn't. His logic being that there isn't a "real league system" to determine who gets the title shot, so he doesn't feel that the championships are "real".

This is combat sports, real league systems don't exist in combat sports, what the hell are these clowns talking about. UFC aren't doing anything wrong, its the exact same in professional boxing, kickboxing, muay thai etc etc. You can't do league systems, this is not a team LMAO.

He's just pointing out that there are economic protections in place for boxers that give them performance based negotiating power.

i.e. If a boxer makes his way up the rankings to number 1 contender, then he is (theoretically... because, yes, it gets danced around) entitled to a title shot. The promoters have to negotiate with him and come to a deal. That gives him some power to make demands. He's not all powerful, because if the price he demands is above the value that promoters believe will be profitable, they aren't going to make that deal... but then everyone sits on the shelf for a bit, and no one makes money, not the champ, not the challenger, not the promoter, until they can come up with some sort of compromise. (At least that's how it's supposed to work.)

If a UFC fighter makes his way up the rankings to number 1 contender, the UFC never has to deal with him. Ever. They can offer fights to other guys instead. That changes the negotiating dynamic entirely. The promoter can keep on making money while the contender becomes more and more desperate, going progressively more and more broke, and more and more willing to fight for less and less. The promoter can also offer him fights with lower ranked fighters, that he needs to take at some point to feed his family, and keep doing that until he loses and drops in ranking. They can also shuffle the media voters who decide the rankings to avoid the PR backlash of having a guy sit as number one contender indefinitely with no title fight in sight.

Boxing has a million problems, but they do have the Ali Act which does protect fighters from these sorts of economic strong-arm tactics.

That's what the hell these guys are talking about, and it's a legitimate concern, which is why the UFC dances around the issue by saying things like "Well... it's not really a world title so much as an award given to the guy who was the best fighter on that night."

Mullin: World titles? So when [UFC Chief Operating Officer] Lawrence Epstein came and talked to me and he said they don’t look at the title as being a title but as an award bestowed upon the best fighter that night, would you agree with that statement?

Ratner: I do. Just going back to Saturday night -

Mullin: Then it’s not really a world title. (Ding Ding Ding)

I hate to defend the UFC on anything, but do we seriously want a bunch of halftard congressmen cobbling together a "more legitimate" sport? The guy who kept saying "the mma" is going to fix everything, just like how they fixed boxing? No thanks. Dana is a goof but if you watched UFC 217 and think the sport is dying, go watch a "more legitimate" sport.

I'm not sure that most people here understand the thrust of the back and forth in this exchange. The congressman is pointing out that the UFC has a system in place that takes all negotiating power out of the hands of the fighters. There's no real negotiation happening if I can just say "Whelp... fine then; you don't wanna fight for peanuts, I'll just give the shot to some 12th ranked dude on the verge of retirement. And it doesn't matter how well you do, either; I have an endless chain of guys I can put in there instead. Call me when your kids are hungry."

As the congressman said, that's all well and good for "money fights" that everyone wants to see, and that fighters want to be involved it. But it has exploitative consequences in terms of titles.

A-level athletes is subjective

<TrumpWrong1>

Objectively A-level:

Clyde+Drexler+The+Glide.gif

<{anton}>

Objectively D-level:

JS2nxRP.gif

<31>

Why didn't he just tell him bisping came in short notice?

I guess the point is did the guys in front of Bisping get asked to fill in and turn it down? If they did fine but if the ufc went straight to Bisping then that’s the problem

It's funny they say boxing title holders fight the number 2 all the time. There are multiple boxing organization and top fighters like to have a say. This is mostly no different in the UFC.

Fuck man, how can he dispute the idea of the UFC having a 'world title' in a country whose national sport has a domestic 'world series'. gtfo with that shit.

It is prize fighting. It's one vs one. It cannot work the same as a sports league. One injury to a sports team doesn't prevent the game but it does prevent a fight.

the UFC if getting more and more into the freak show business than anything these days congrats to McNugget for that

It’s a fucking entertainment and doesn’t need government regulation for concerns of who wins what.

This is a fucking failed fighter Republican who wants government in making a ducking combat sport fair.

What about free health care and equal education? A simple tax code? Stop
the fake ‘war’ on terror? Opioid crisis?

Nope, this fucking fuck face Republican wants make sure that Bisping fights the #1 contender.

Meanwhile the major sports are statutory exempt from government anti monopoly regulations.

Fucking failure bitter fighter.

seeing all the bashing towards people trying to make MMA a better sport here, you morons deserve this freak show circus that is UFC. let the moeny fights rule this ''sport'' , let the leeches like Dana White get all the money, let the majority of fighters rot in poverty.... the intelegence of some fans here is mind boggling

Just do away with the whole number ranking system and have a top 10 contender status, where anyone of those can vie for a title shot. We all know the numbers mean shite anyway...

Pff who the fuck are they? UFC has a few BS money fights here and there.. But in terms of matchmaking is far ahead of the likes of boxing.. not as many outrageous decisions either

Back