News Dana says Conor will earn title shot with win over #9 ranked Cerrone

Fighting the biggest name but the easiest fight at 155 to get an interm shot.

<{cruzshake}>

oh...so you "earn" a title shot by beating someone who is not even a top contender in that division?

A benefit payday for Cowboy who has been a good servant to the UFC. I'll predict that he loses in the second and announces his retirement in the ring post- fight.
2nd?

He's a very slow starter and his chin and recovery at 155 are awful.

Conor TKO's him within the 1st round.

th

oh...so you "earn" a title shot by beating someone who is not even a top contender in that division?

I think its even worse than that. Even if McGregor fought a Top 5 fighter and won, why should he get another title shot on 1 win?

You all realize Conor could probably ask for a title shot at any reasonable weight class and get it right now.

The dude does almost 50% of their PPV business for the year. Off course your going to bend over backwards for him, any good businessman would. He literally makes more money for the UFC than all the champs combined do. Right or wrong, the UFC has to capitalize on him while they have him around. It's good for overall business of the UFC long term. Yes, some feather will be ruffled but from a business standpoint it's a no brainer. Sporting standpoint it does raise some concerns.

At this point is anyone even surprised? I can't even get upset anymore, it just is what it is

Only way i am ok with this if Conor has to fight Holloway for LW belt. This only happens is Max moves up to challenge for the belt.

I don’t know why anyone is surprised by this. As long as he’s popular, he’s not gonna have to “earn” big fights or title shots

Sad how Conor needs this sort of artificial push to get to the front of the line. His legacy as a fighter is sinking lower and lower.
hes going to have to crash a plane into the ufc performance institute to gain some steam again at this rate.

They can't fake Conor being good.

Everytime he fights someone good at LW he'll get destroyed like 229

Is this a joke? Why can't he earn it against a top 5, or better yet Ferg, who wants a red panty night and is now being shelved until next November?

1. Ferg - 11 straight wins.
3. Dustin - 9-1-1 in his last 11
4. Iaquinta - 6-1 in his last 7
5. Lee - 6-2 in his last 8

9. Cerrone - 3-4 in his last 7 fights, suffered three knockouts, aging and chin cracking

LMAO the only reason hes not getting a title shot right now is the backlash it would cause. Dana will probably try to give him a shot at 145 after cowboy chokes him out. Claiming he belongs at 145 or some shit

They aren’t giving it to him now cause Khabib refuses to accept the fight. The only thing they would get from that is another million PPV buys.

I wonder if Conor would even fight Khabib again or Ferg if he beats Khabib.

Both of those guys would retire him at this point.

He will probably stay fighting gatekeepers.

Well he earnes his 145 shot. But after that its been farce
I disagree. I think he should have had a legit #1 contender fight. Poirier was extremely overrated while on his streak and somehow managed to get ranked #5. That was Conor's only claim to a title shot, other than beating Chad Mendes who was literally not even allowed to train before hand ... then Conor beat Denis fucking Siver and got a title shot. Pretty suspect considering the other guys rounding out the top 5 outside of Aldo were all beast grapplers at the time. Conor faced none of them, except for the aforementioned fatty Mendes who gassed in like 5 minutes due to the weekish notice.

you're clearly blinded by hate, didn't have to beat anyone at 145?

beat brimage who was 3-0 in the UFC, beat a good prospect in holloway, beat brandao who's always dangerous in the 1st round, he gave poirier his first knockout loss and made it look easy, he took the siver fight as a warmup like i said, and he finished mendes who was the # 2 or # 3 guy. finished all of them except for holloway.

and like i said..again... he dusted the at the time # 1 P4P guy in aldo in 13 seconds so i don't see the problem with the 155 shot at RDA.
Then we just have to agree to disagree. Where the fuck are the 45ers he beat now outside of young max? How about those 3 or 4 stud grapplers that were high in the rankings at the time that Conor conveniently never had to face?

Back