Did Francis Ngannou Make a Huge Mistake Not Resigning with the UFC?

Did Francis Ngannou make a mistake?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cejudo situation is not remotely comparable. Cejudo was still under contract. He couldn’t go anywhere. Ngannou is a free agent and has numerous fighters and promotions that have already expressed interest, including Tyson Fury, Wilder, Joe Joyce and all of the MMA orgs.

He might make some good money for one or two fights but I don't think it will last.

PFL will prob pay him well but...WHERE is that $$ coming from? it's unlikely to last.

Boxing : I don't think Fury does a fight with him, and even if he did I think he might make 6mill and that's it.
all Ngannou's dreams of 20million = RUBBISH. Not happening! The numbers simply would not justify a payment of that magnitude.
- If they paid him that the entire event would be a massive loss-maker. 6 or 7 million tops for Ngannou and then he'll very likely lose and nobody will be interested in seeing him box again, because he is NOT A BOXER!

He'd have been better off accepting the UFC deal I think and fighting twice per year or three times per year and making probably 6million + per year (approx guesstimate) but nope that wasn't good enough for him.

It will pay off big time if he goes on to have lucrative fights. Not only for his career but for the industry in general. Fighters will be less willing to accept whatever crumbs the UFC throws at them and explore other options.

This has already happening to a certain extent. Costa turned down a contract extension to explore free agency. AJ McKee chose to resign with Bellator than pursue the UFC.

If he fights Tyson Fury he gets paid more money than he’s ever seen in his life.

If he somehow beats Tyson Fury than he is set for life from an easy 2-3 more big boxing paydays.

If he loses, he will still make money just not anywhere near as much.

Any top ranked heavyweight boxer will smash him. All the anti UFC people on here are cheering it but it's a bad decision on his part after one boxing loss nobody will care.

Any top ranked heavyweight boxer will smash him. All the anti UFC people on here are cheering it but it's a bad decision on his part after one boxing loss nobody will care.

Lol exactly

why the fuck would Dana let him go get embarrassed in boxing while holding the organizations most prestigious/“baddest man on the planet” title

who in their right mind thinks letting Francis go devalue your heavyweight championship by getting completely outclassed in boxing is a good idea

ppl are just anti-Dana and anti-ufc

letting him box under ufc contract absolutely should be a deal breaker

$$wise and overall damage to his mind/body, for him personally, I think it does payoff.

If he gets the Fury fight, though, I have a little advice...
watch-out-for-his-being-better-at-boxing-than-you-jason-adam-katzenstei.jpg

More often than not these things don't end well for the fighter.

One big boxing fight, particularly if he gets Fury and it's worthwhile.

Can't see Bellator, PFL or any bareknuckle organisation having the sort of money to entice him. Although Francis as a main eventer might entice Bellator to have another go at cracking the ppv market.

Tbh whether he made the right choice is really arbitrary depends on what you value and whether you think he would have beaten Jones and even Gane in a rematch, Aspinall when he gets healthy. Even if we assume he goes can crushing in PFL and makes money boxing some will think he made the wrong choice. In Bellator he'll probably have a few big fights that can add to his legacy we'll see.

Legacy wise he leaves the UFC Ngannou is 12-2 and was never finished. That's not a long career especially by this eras standards but he has more wins and less loss than Cormier, and the same amount as Stipe and Werdum with less losses. He joins that list of fighters in the HW GOAT conversation.

Also Plausible deniability. If you think he couldn't beat Jones by not fighting him people will always wonder if Francis could have won even if he had no shot. This is something that benefits Hendos legacy IMO opposed to similar legends like the big 4(Machida, Evans,Rampage and Shogun). Hendo probably loses but you don't know that for sure and I think that elevates him a bit even if it's not fair. Same logic applies to Rumble and IMO guys like Phil Davis and Corey Anderson relative to their peers.

Things like this doesn't happen very often. It would not shock me one bit if some rich Arab threw Francis a few mil to box in Dubai.

Not true

If Fury negotiations don't work he will look for one last payday for sure
People that Dana had a bigger beef with have come back (like blockhead himself Tito); I don't necessarily think it is over in the UFC for good unless Francis goes out and loses some MMA fights, which I doubt would happen anytime soon.

Probably not. Had he held the belt, fought Jones and then Fury, it would've paid off.

The only other person to bluff this hard was cejudo and it backfired hard. The ufc has the strategy to promote you OR bury you. What does Nganou have to do to make his bluff pay off? Will the fans follow him or bash him like we did to triple c?

Frank wasn't bluffing and he's the champ so I see it paying off well for him well see

It depends what he wants from this. He keeps saying a fight with Tyson Fury but that won't happen until a few years after Fury retires at the very earliest, if at all.
Maybe he is in talks with ONE FC for another one of those insane money laundering contracts? Who knows.

Honestly, depending on his current health situation (Remember at the post-fight press conference he said his knee could suffer irreparable damage) he might be better off going the Hollywood route. There's decent money there and very little risk of injury. His thick accent might stop him from going too far in that industry though.

You want to hear a joke? Fury’s last opponent got paid $4.5M.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/amp...salaries-money-match/y0povdeganrihzzcadpyey14

You want to hear another one? Ngannou admitted he lost $7M in two UFC fights by not re-signing.

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...g-ufc-deal-but-freedom-doesnt-work-with-money

After reading the above quote, it’s easy math 2 fights = $7M.. or $3.5M each. His next UFC fight would have totaled $10.5M..right? So depending on what the UFC’s final offer was (we only know what it was before the Stipe rematch). But not what any final offer may have been. Ngannou will have to make at least $10.5M and possibly as much as $12.5M (It’s entirely possible the offer went up to $5M per fight) in this fantasy boxing match you’re talking about just to break even. Either way one more fight was necessary to attain these numbers, right?

NONE of this stuff is a secret.

Your posts contain zero facts. Mine are 100% fact. It’s looking like he could actually make less in one boxing match than one UFC fight.. Let alone 5 UFC fights. $4.5M boxing.. $17.5M UFC (5 fights).. possibly $25M UFC (5 fights). $4.5M boxing.. $5M UFC.

But $3.5M for sure for one UFC fight.

lol, it's worse than I thought. $4.5 million for Fury's opponent? Who is a top boxer and established name in boxing? And Francis is at best an intriguing matchup and former UFC champ, which is not nothing, but he's not exactly a promotional machine. Not like Conor was in the build up to the Floyd fight.

So he MIGHT get a decent payday, but nothing lightyears ahead of what was on the table with the UFC, and then he goes and gets KO'ed by Fury and can then go toil away in PFL for the rest of his career. He values freedom over money but the only way I see this working out is if he gets lucky and puts Fury away, and I don't see that happening.

You want to hear a joke? Fury’s last opponent got paid $4.5M.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/amp...salaries-money-match/y0povdeganrihzzcadpyey14

You want to hear another one? Ngannou admitted he lost $7M in two UFC fights by not re-signing.

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...g-ufc-deal-but-freedom-doesnt-work-with-money

After reading the above quote, it’s easy math 2 fights = $7M.. or $3.5M each. His next UFC fight would have totaled $10.5M..right? So depending on what the UFC’s final offer was (we only know what it was before the Stipe rematch). But not what any final offer may have been. Ngannou will have to make at least $10.5M and possibly as much as $12.5M (It’s entirely possible the offer went up to $5M per fight) in this fantasy boxing match you’re talking about just to break even. Either way one more fight was necessary to attain these numbers, right?

NONE of this stuff is a secret.

Your posts contain zero facts. Mine are 100% fact. It’s looking like he could actually make less in one boxing match than one UFC fight.. Let alone 5 UFC fights. $4.5M boxing.. $17.5M UFC (5 fights).. possibly $25M UFC (5 fights). $4.5M boxing.. $5M UFC.

But $3.5M for sure for one UFC fight.
<Lmaoo>
“100%” facts
<Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo>
Thanks for the laugh

Ufc not paying their HW champ what a HW champ deserves is bad for the sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back