Double Champ Goals ruin a fighters momentum and possibly careers

Abolish silly weight classes so we can just watch big guys smash.

He should’ve lost to Reyes so he wasn’t gonna risk fighting anymore contenders. Plus he could’ve been facing a USADA ban
“Well, I lost to Reyes, I guess I should go to heavyweight, which is so much easier than 205”

Ok.

This 100% needs to happen. It is literally the only way to make this shit stop. Even if he was willing to make an exception for someone, at least keep that behind the scenes but still crack down publicly.
He should come out and say all these guys calling for double champ fights without significant defences are fuckin goofs and they're not getting a shot at it unless they clean out their division or bring in Conor tier bucks.

The last one that intrigued me was TJ moving down a weight because we hadn't seen that before.

Aldo could have won at 155 or even 135 (as we all later discovered). There are few other champs in history who deserved that opportunity.

GSP, Jones, and Silva have the best MMA legacies and didn't waste their prime years chase other weight titles.

2 of those 3 took off years of their prime then came back to fight in a new weight class.

He should come out and say all these guys calling for double champ fights without significant defences are fuckin goofs and they're not getting a shot at it unless they clean out their division or bring in Conor tier bucks.

The last one that intrigued me was TJ moving down a weight because we hadn't seen that before.

Aldo could have won at 155 or even 135 (as we all later discovered). There are few other champs in history who deserved that opportunity.
I wish TJ had moved down a lot sooner, he was markedly different fighter at 155. I actually would have favoured him to beat Bendo if he didn't get hurt. I always thought he seemed undersized for WW when he signed with the UFC, but he's a game fighter and wouldn't turn anyone down.

I have met TJ and Gavin Tucker a couple times here locally at PFP/ECC events. Both really nice guys.

I wish TJ had moved down a lot sooner, he was markedly different fighter at 155. I actually would have favoured him to beat Bendo if he didn't get hurt. I always thought he seemed undersized for WW when he signed with the UFC, but he's a game fighter and wouldn't turn anyone down.

I have met TJ and Gavin Tucker a couple times here locally at PFP/ECC events. Both really nice guys.
TJ at 170? I think you are mixing up some names here

I think it can be argued Jon's "Prime" as a LHW ended and he knew it so hence the reason for his "Move Up".

The thing about "Prime" is it actually can't be argued because it has no meaning. It is just a term people on the internet use because they don't have any intelligent thought and want to deny reality.

The thing about "Prime" is it actually can't be argued because it has no meaning. It is just a term people on the internet use because they don't have any intelligent thought and want to deny reality.
Prime certainly has meaning. I do agree on Sherdog it is a term used as black and white but used incorrectly. Assessing a fighters Prime correctly IMO needs context and a nuance that escapes most on here. Sherdog's "Prime" is defined as the time immediately preceding your first loss as a fighter.

Prime certainly has meaning. I do agree on Sherdog it is a term used as black and white but used incorrectly. Assessing a fighters Prime correctly IMO needs context and a nuance that escapes most on here. Sherdog's "Prime" is defined as the time immediately preceding your first loss as a fighter.

Can you please articulate the meaning of prime then? Maybe also explain how we should assess it correctly? Has any fighter ever lost during their "prime". If so, who and why?

Did Jon Jones' prime end with the Matt Hammill loss making his entire Championship run after his prime? He hasn't lost since so when was his prime? When and how did it end? How do you even know it ended since he hasn't lost and is currently HW champion?

Alex Pereira didn't become UFC Champion until 34, Daniel Cormier 36, both became champions in heavier divisions even older, when was their prime or is it yet to come? Did they only win because their opponents were not prime?

Like many fans, I'm kind of tired of the whole double champ thing. It just messes with the division's flow. They missed the boat on the GSP vs Silva fight everyone wanted, and ever since McGregor, champs seem to rush to move up without really defending their titles. The only superfight that makes sense to me now is Makhachev vs Edwards, but I think they should defend their belts a few more times before we even think about that matchup.

When he was 21 and a much more inexperienced fighter obviously
Conors 2nd UFC Fight, Max's 6th. And it wasn't close at all.

If it happened now you would probably say Mas was past his prime lol

What? Jones wasted 3 years of his prime just to move up to Heavyweight. He literally did exactly that.

What sort of rationale could you have possibly come up with for calling these past three years Jones's prime? Not only is he older than he's ever been (obviously), but besides the Gane fight, he's also looked worse than he ever has. Not to mention he'd been fighting for over a decade at that point.

Conors 2nd UFC Fight, Max's 6th. And it wasn't close at all.

If it happened now you would probably say Mas was past his prime lol

He was 21. Conor at 21 was getting subbed in 30 seconds. Age and experience matters.

The Max that Conor fought took Leonard Garcia to split decision. He obviously improved from there to rise to the top of featherweight. Like Conor himself did.

Same thing with Poirier. The featherweight gatekeeper that Conor KO'd in one round the first fight obviously wasn't as good as the top lightweight contender who KO'd Conor in two consecutive fights. Of course you don't actually believe any of this, you just came here to nuthug Conor. You obviously are aware that fighters improve.

Ruins the division as well. And it is really fucking annoying to hear a new crowned champion, who hasn't even defended talking about this. Like the interest in said fighter diminishes instantly.

Can you please articulate the meaning of prime then? Maybe also explain how we should assess it correctly? Has any fighter ever lost during their "prime". If so, who and why?

Did Jon Jones' prime end with the Matt Hammill loss making his entire Championship run after his prime? He hasn't lost since so when was his prime? When and how did it end? How do you even know it ended since he hasn't lost and is currently HW champion?

Alex Pereira didn't become UFC Champion until 34, Daniel Cormier 36, both became champions in heavier divisions even older, when was their prime or is it yet to come? Did they only win because their opponents were not prime?

Surely you're not so dense as to actually deny that a word has a definition?

J2otlIz.png

People misuse words all the time, like saying a fighter got "starched" when they fell limply (I've even see someone use it to describe getting choked out), or using "dominate" instead of "dominant." But that doesn't mean the word itself is meaningless; it just means people have poor grasps of the English language.

IMO The best way for a champ to secure a legacy is to defend for a long time at the weight they are champ at.

On a related note, I've also always said that a champ isn't "ducking" anyone who is outside of their division.

He was 21. Conor at 21 was getting subbed in 30 seconds. Age and experience matters.

The Max that Conor fought took Leonard Garcia to split decision. He obviously improved from there to rise to the top of featherweight. Like Conor himself did.

Same thing with Poirier. The featherweight gatekeeper that Conor KO'd in one round the first fight obviously wasn't as good as the top lightweight contender who KO'd Conor in two consecutive fights. Of course you don't actually believe any of this, you just came here to nuthug Conor. You obviously are aware that fighters improve.
People act as though Conor steamrolled Doosty in that first fight. I'm not going to call it a "lucky finish" because it was good finishing from Conor, but the punch that started it wasn't exactly a clean shot. It was an equilibrium scrambler that clipped him as he was ducking the punch.

It was short, but prior to that both guys looked pretty even. I remember rewatching that fight in the leadup to the 2nd fight, and thinking wait this isn't how I remember this going.

Not even sure I'd consider that to be a "bad chin" from Dustin at 145 either, more of just where the punch got em.

Also crazy how different Conor fights back then.

Surely you're not so dense as to actually deny that a word has a definition?

J2otlIz.png

People misuse words all the time, like saying a fighter got "starched" when they fell limply (I've even see someone use it to describe getting choked out), or using "dominate" instead of "dominant." But that doesn't mean the word itself is meaningless; it just means people have poor grasps of the English language.

I'm impressed you can snip a dictionary, now please show your great grasp of the English language and display your ability to apply any of those definitions to say the context of UFC? Also why did you specifically bracket the 12th definition and not the 11th? Watching Jon Jones fight it definitely looked like his opponents were in the time of early womanhood.

People act as though Conor steamrolled Doosty in that first fight. I'm not going to call it a "lucky finish" because it was good finishing from Conor, but the punch that started it wasn't exactly a clean shot. It was an equilibrium scrambler that clipped him as he was ducking the punch.

It was short, but prior to that both guys looked pretty even. I remember rewatching that fight in the leadup to the 2nd fight, and thinking wait this isn't how I remember this going.

Not even sure I'd consider that to be a "bad chin" from Dustin at 145 either, more of just where the punch got em.

Also crazy how different Conor fights back then.

Poirier was also a much different fighter back then. His boxing wasn't nearly as good and he didn't have that philly shell. Didn't he just win a poll of greatest boxer in the UFC? That would have been unthinkable back when he was getting soundly outboxed by Cub Swanson.

Back