Double Champ Goals ruin a fighters momentum and possibly careers

I'm impressed you can snip a dictionary, now please show your great grasp of the English language and display your ability to apply any of those definitions to say the context of UFC? Also why did you specifically bracket the 12th definition and not the 11th? Watching Jon Jones fight it definitely looked like his opponents were in the time of early womanhood.

A fighter's prime is when their physical attributes are at (or should be at) their peak. It has nothing to do with how successful they are, how active they are, or even how injured they are. It's when they can reasonably be expected to perform at their best.

The reason the definition is so strict is because there's a common understanding that a fighter's prime can be "wasted," whether it's because they got hurt, or their head wasn't in the game, or they took a long layoff. It doesn't mean they weren't in their prime. It just means they weren't fighting well (or at all) while they were in their prime.

A fighter's prime is when their physical attributes are at (or should be at) their peak. It has nothing to do with how successful they are, how active they are, or even how injured they are. It's when they can reasonably be expected to perform at their best.

The reason the definition is so strict is because there's a common understanding that a fighter's prime can be "wasted," whether it's because they got hurt, or their head wasn't in the game, or they took a long layoff. It doesn't mean they weren't in their prime. It just means they weren't fighting well (or at all) while they were in their prime.

I am still waiting for anything close to a strict definition, but if I got this straight fighting is a purely physical sport, mental attributes are completely irrelevant to peak performance. So when are fighters reasonably expected to perform at their best?

Physical peak for males is commonly considered to be in their 20s. The average age of men when they become UFC Champions is around 31 so is nearly every fighter wasting their prime years?

How am I supposed to know when Jones, Fedor, DC, Pereira, Glover, Couture or anyone was or wasn't in their "prime" to know if their fights were meaningful or not? Is there some kind of sliding scale based on their opponent's level of "prime" or is it like a winner takes all kind of thing?

In a sport that is "an opportunity, not a career, kid", it seems that all MMA champions (or their managers) have realized that the best course of action is to double your belts without risking your first one, so that you can maximize your time on PPV points.

I wish there was a mandated minimum of 3 title defenses before being allowed to retain a belt and still move up/down, but the UFC would never create a rule that could pump the brakes on a potential superstar's meteoric rise in casual popularity. <WhatItIs>

Disagree, instant rematches has ruined more careers.

Back