Good Forgotten 90s Movies

All right, last one from me for a little while.

A Simple Plan.

Good people getting twisted and corrupted through greed. Basically a Coen film without the Coens.

Directed by Sam Raimi, starring Bill Paxton (RIP), Billy Bob Thornton and Bridget Fonda.

This trailer kinda reminds me of that one movie "Dreamcatcher"

It came out in 2003 so it doesn't really fit in this thread but its forgotten none the less

Yeah, it just goes to show you that from one era to the next, it's really only the shit at the VERY TOP that is remembered.

For every Terminator 2 or Se7en, there are tons of good 90s movies that have just faded from popular memory.

You can say that for every decade really.

Agreed. Also, I feel we're entering a strange period in Hollywood and beyond. With the whole #metoo movement and the militarizing SJW movements/PC culture etc., it feels like film industry might be suffering some serious setbacks. To me it feels like in the last 1 or 2 years more than before.

The Hudsucker Proxy
Ghost Dog
Red Rock Rest
A Room for Romeo Brass
Shallow Grave
Tremors
Rushmore
Ed Wood
Dead Man
Seven Years in Tibet
Very Bad Things

I've been trying to pimp this one around here for a few weeks now so I guess I'll go ahead and give it another plug.

Renny Harlin's best movie and proof that with right script Geena Davis could lead an action film.

Written by Shane Black who, for those not in the know, also wrote Lethal Weapon.

This trailer kinda reminds me of that one movie "Dreamcatcher"

It came out in 2003 so it doesn't really fit in this thread but its forgotten none the less

Hmm. . . Totally different movie from Dreamcatcher and also a much better film.

You should check it out.

Agreed. Also, I feel we're entering a strange period in Hollywood and beyond. With the whole #metoo movement and the militarizing SJW movements/PC culture etc., it feels like film industry might be suffering some serious setbacks. To me it feels like in the last 1 or 2 years more than before.

Elaborate on that.

I've been trying to pimp this one around here for a few weeks now so I guess I'll go ahead and give it another plug.

Renny Harlin's best movie and proof that with right script Geena Davis could lead an action film.

Written by Shane Black who, for those not in the know, also wrote Lethal Weapon.

A great 90s neo-noir that one.

Elaborate on that.

Whatever year it was, 2014 I think, when John Wick, Gone Girl came out . . . Maybe some in 2015 with Sicario too . . . There's been a decline where it feels that identity politics and hyper-PC attitudes are creeping into films. I've gone to the theatre a couple of times recently and there's nothing that looks remotely interesting. The last good movie I saw was Blade Runner 2049.

I could be wrong though. I hope I am.

Speaking of movies that people dont talk about anymore

71AE595Y6VL._SY445_.gif

Definitely twisted.

Saw it. Decent flick.

Whatever year it was, 2014 I think, when John Wick, Gone Girl came out . . . Maybe some in 2015 with Sicario too . . . There's been a decline where it feels that identity politics and hyper-PC attitudes are creeping into films. I've gone to the theatre a couple of times recently and there's nothing that looks remotely interesting. The last good movie I saw was Blade Runner 2049.

I could be wrong though. I hope I am.

I think we ARE seeing some of that, but I actually think this year has ended up being a solid year for films.

The bottom line, I think, is that Hollywood is going to make whatever people are willing to pay for. People have voted with their dollars for female-lead action films for instance, so Hollywood keeps giving them to us.

On the other hand, people chose NOT to vote for Blade Runner--at least not in big enough numbers--so don't expect to see another ambitious sci-fi film in that vein any time soon.

Wasn't it Wesley Snipes?

51h3oFYWaZL.jpg

Last Light with Kiefer Sutherland and Forest Whitaker
Carlito's Way has a smallish loyal following but is still horribly overlooked in the big picture
Ditto for Last Action Hero
Far and Away
Stalingrad
A League of Their Own
Sneakers
Hoffa
A Bronx Tale
In the Line of Fire
A Perfect World
Outbreak

I think we ARE seeing some of that, but I actually think this year has ended up being a solid year for films.

The bottom line, I think, is that Hollywood is going to make whatever people are willing to pay for. People have voted with their dollars for female-lead action films for instance, so Hollywood keeps giving them to us.

On the other hand, people chose NOT to vote for Blade Runner--at least not in big enough numbers--so don't expect to see another ambitious sci-fi film in that vein any time soon.

51h3oFYWaZL.jpg

My, you are right! I should just look them up on my own lol.

But yeah, I think I saw a few too many movies with, you said it, the strong female lead (cop, detective, whatever) and it kind of ruined my mojo. I hope you're right.

Better than decent, I think.

7.5/10. Definitely one of the better action films of the 90s.

It's not quite a classic, but it's a fun movie.

That'd be about what I'd rate it. So I guess I meant more than decent.

Back