How Do You Cook Your Steaks?

I use one of these.....

joPZ0u2.jpg

Sous Vide... finished on grill or cast iron. This is all you need.

Yesterday I ordered a shitload of meat from Omaha Steaks to cook for my folks over Christmas week when I'm home.

I already was pretty good at cooking pork steak, but I'm going to use alot of the advice in this thread to cook up those Fillet Mignons and Top Serloins.

I marinate the steak overnight in a mixture of olive oil, red wine and pepper. Season the steak with sea salt right before cooking, and sear it to medium rare on a pan. Toss a slab of garlic butter right before it's done for extra richness.

Preferably you'd use a cast iron pan, and make sure it's smoking hot when the steak goes in.

Never tried baking one before. Sounds good though.

Baking is good. I usually get a cast iron sear on that fucker though. Outside of grilling, I usually only go cast iron.

I cut the steak up and put it in a ketchup bottle and leave it in the fridge over night, the next morning i remove the steak chunks and drink the bottle.

I let my steak sit about 30mins on the counter

I cook mine in a pan. First I coat the steak in a light layer of olive oil and i season with sea salt, pepper and some garlic powder.

I sear the sides for about 30 seconds each, turning 4 times and then I sear the top and bottom 30 seconds.

I add butter and cook the top and bottom another 45 seconds while scooping melted butter with a spoon and pouring it over the fatty parts.

then I let it rest for a few minutes

Just wanted to hear some of the different methods you guys use. I've recently got my first place and I've been trying to cook at least 5 nights a week just because before moving out I had no cooking skills what so ever and learning has been really fun and it's a good skill to have that saves money when you just get out on your own.

I'm cooking some steaks tonight. I looked at a few videos on YouTube to see how best to cook a steak. I'm doing a couple of ribeyes. Generously salted and peppered on both sides. A bit of olive oil in the pan of course. Cast iron pan to be exact. Then letting them sear with about half a stick of butter, a bit of fresh thyme and a couple garlic cloves.

I've been told its good to sort of rub the garlic cloves onto the steaks as you cook them so I'm going to do that too. This will be my first time trying this method, previously I'd throw my steaks in any old pan throw some McCormick griller seasoning on that bitch and let it go for about 6-7 minutes a side. The method I'm trying now sounds like they'll taste a lot better.

So how do you guys like cooking your steaks? What's your method?

tumblr_o5hrlsfYmW1vr2vt8o1_500.gif
With a good piece of meat all you need is salt, pepper, and a grill. Go to a quality meat market don't fool with grocery store steaks.

Edit: I just saw that you cannot grill due to landlord issues. In that case I'd use a cast iron skillet. Put skillet only in the oven on 500 to get it nice and hot. Then, take it out and put it on the stove eye on high while you sear the steak on each side for 30 seconds or so. Then place back into oven on 500 for about 1-1.5 minutes on each side.

Seared and butter/garlic basted then in the oven until medium rare.

It's been said before but I just want to reiterate how incredibly useful a good cast iron is. I'm by no means a professional but I cook quite a bit and my cast iron is one of my best friends.

An expensive steak medium-rare on the grill with a bit of pepper. Anything else and you may as well fuck right off.

I see that the Ketchup on Everything Brigade is out in full force.

{<redford}

with milk & jellybeans, like a true man with class does.

yes-my-good-man-ill-have-the-milk-steak-boiled-21847525.png

Always on the grill. Even in the winter. And normally with some onions cooked inside tinfoil right next to the steaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back