I bought a PS4. Now what?

I doubt they skip PS4. I think multiplatform is the most likely scenario. Sony doesn't always seem to care about releasing their system with a huge system seller. The PS4 started off slow and was even laughed at by Xbox fanboys for not having any games. It still started selling more than xbox out of the gate which had a few exclusives on release. E3 didn't help xbox of course.
Xbox one “online games and play only” release rumors killed its release.

Hopefully they have learned

I thought it was supposed to be out soon??

Like sooner than the ps5?
oh I was just effing around- moment of panic for ps4 pro pwners. I’m a shit. I don’t know if they even have a ps5 in the works.

I doubt they skip PS4. I think multiplatform is the most likely scenario. Sony doesn't always seem to care about releasing their system with a huge system seller. The PS4 started off slow and was even laughed at by Xbox fanboys for not having any games. It still started selling more than xbox out of the gate which had a few exclusives on release. E3 didn't help xbox of course.
That's why I would expect it to be a "Timed Exclusive".

They'll come out with it acting like it is a full exclusive to the PS5 because it is too advanced to run on the older systems, if they indeed intend a PS5 at all, and not just another update to the PS4, then after a year, they'll announce they're about to make it backwards compatible for PS4 users. Of course, this was always pageantry, but the dance will be more disingenuous than ever since the rumored PS5 will also be on AMD x86 architecture (descended from the same genealogical family) as the PS4, and all their modern PC hardware.

Also, not sure why XB1 fans were mocking PS4 fans. As I recall both consoles had joke libraries at launch. Ryse was gorgeous, but it wasn't exactly blowing anyone's minds:

I got a ps4 a few months ago and got gow and uncharted 4. Also picked up the killzone. Kicking myself I haven’t played them much. Too add to give any of them attention. I get most games on Xbox as I just like the controller better.

I got a ps4 a few months ago and got gow and uncharted 4. Also picked up the killzone. Kicking myself I haven’t played them much. Too add to give any of them attention. I get most games on Xbox as I just like the controller better.
I always liked the Killzone series. Is there a Killzone release on PS4?

That's why I would expect it to be a "Timed Exclusive".

They'll come out with it acting like it is a full exclusive to the PS5 because it is too advanced to run on the older systems, if they indeed intend a PS5 at all, and not just another update to the PS4, then after a year, they'll announce they're about to make it backwards compatible for PS4 users. Of course, this was always pageantry, but the dance will be more disingenuous than ever since the rumored PS5 will also be on AMD x86 architecture (descended from the same genealogical family) as the PS4, and all their modern PC hardware.

Also, not sure why XB1 fans were mocking PS4 fans. As I recall both consoles had joke libraries at launch. Ryse was gorgeous, but it wasn't exactly blowing anyone's minds:

I don’t even think they’ll even attempt it (timed exclusive). And if they do it’ll be a week or 2 week timed exclusive to encourage to buy PS5.

There is no need to do these underhanded tactics that may result in negative publicity ala Activision and EA. The game will sell and it’ll sell with PS5 and PS4. On its own it’s a console seller and I’d easily preorder a PS5 for it. I would preorder a PS5 anyway so it’ll be the cherry on top of it anyhoo.

I always liked the Killzone series. Is there a Killzone release on PS4?

Yeah Killzone Shadowfall, its the last in the series, was a launch title so you'll be able to find it cheap, i got it for £1.50 a couple of months back. I think its the only KZ title where the online is still available too

Yeah Killzone Shadowfall, its the last in the series, was a launch title so you'll be able to find it cheap, i got it for £1.50 a couple of months back. I think its the only KZ title where the online is still available too

I got it for like $6. Haven’t really gotten into it but $6 lol hard to go wrong.

I don’t even think they’ll even attempt it (timed exclusive). And if they do it’ll be a week or 2 week timed exclusive to encourage to buy PS5.

There is no need to do these underhanded tactics that may result in negative publicity ala Activision and EA. The game will sell and it’ll sell with PS5 and PS4. On its own it’s a console seller and I’d easily preorder a PS5 for it. I would preorder a PS5 anyway so it’ll be the cherry on top of it anyhoo.
Sounds like wishful thinking to me. Given, Uncharted 4 by Naughty Dog wasn't released until 2016, but they didn't make that backwards compatible, and this will be that game's studio successor.

Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack, Infamous: Second Son, and Driveclub were all Full Exclusives that were launch titles or released in the first year of the PS4's lifespan among their incredibly thin library. Meanwhile, the haven't released a single significant Platform Exclusive, at any time, outside of the MLB: The Show series.

It's actually probably overly optimistic to believe that it will even be a Timed Exclusive. All signs point to the expectation that TLOU2 will be wholly exclusive to the PS5 if they indeed launch the system this early.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me. Given, Uncharted 4 by Naughty Dog wasn't released until 2016, but they didn't make that backwards compatible, and this will be that game's studio successor.

Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack, Infamous: Second Son, and Driveclub were all Full Exclusives that were launch titles or released in the first year of the PS4's lifespan among their incredibly thin library. Meanwhile, the haven't released a single significant Platform Exclusive, at any time, outside of the MLB: The Show series.

It's actually probably overly optimistic to believe that it will even be a Timed Exclusive. All signs point to the expectation that TLOU2 will be wholly exclusive to the PS5 if they indeed launch the system this early.

Or they follow the same blueprint with the original last of us and release it at the end of that current console life cycle maximizing all their programming abilities to bring out the full potential of the PS4 system and then release a remastered version for PS5 launch. Guess who would double dip for the occasion? Faithful fans like myself.

Unless they backtrack and delay the game a year or more for the PS5 (2020?..). TLOU2 is currently tentatively scheduled for 2019.

You seem to think the worst with Naughty Dog. I do not think they will delay their game for PS5 launch and if they do it would be to ensure it is to Naughty Dog standard.

Methink it’s more like you are overly pessimistic based on what we know thus far... Naughty Dog has an amazing and respectful relationship with Sony and they work at their pace. Should Naughty declare TLOU2 a PS5 exclusive I’ll eat crow. But I am confidently certain they’ll release for PS4 first.

Or they follow the same blueprint with the original last of us and release it at the end of that current console life cycle maximizing all their programming abilities to bring out the full potential of the PS4 system and then release a remastered version for PS5 launch. Guess who would double dip for the occasion? Faithful fans like myself.

Unless they backtrack and delay the game a year or more for the PS5 (2020?..). TLOU2 is currently tentatively scheduled for 2019.

You seem to think the worst with Naughty Dog. I do not think they will delay their game for PS5 launch and if they do it would be to ensure it is to Naughty Dog standard.

Methink it’s more like you are overly pessimistic based on what we know thus far... Naughty Dog has an amazing and respectful relationship with Sony and they work at their pace. Should Naughty declare TLOU2 a PS5 exclusive I’ll eat crow. But I am confidently certain they’ll release for PS4 first.
You obviously didn't read the root post by @JSN that got us here. From above in response:
He's banking on an early release of the PS5 (2019 or 2020) and that they'll use TLOU2 as a console seller. They know they need a major flagship exclusive to sell a brand new platform.
Where are you getting this idea I "think the worst" with Naughty Dog? Sony is the one who will engineer this. No exclusives today need to be exclusives. PC, Xbox, PS4, it's all the same x86 base architecture. Porting is a breezy task for the potential payoff. Hell, even Nintendo uses the same ARM chipset as the NVIDIA Shield. Any of its games can easily be adapted to the most powerful smartphones and tablets. There is no incentive for developers to restrict their games to a single system unless they're getting heavily subsidized by by console manufacturers like Microsoft or Sony.

I'm building my presumption on past practice. You are building yours in personal hope & habit.

You obviously didn't read the root post by @JSN that got us here. From above in response:

Where are you getting this idea I "think the worst" with Naughty Dog? Sony is the one who will engineer this. No exclusives today need to be exclusives. PC, Xbox, PS4, it's all the same x86 base architecture. Porting is a breezy task for the potential payoff. Hell, even Nintendo uses the same ARM chipset as the NVIDIA Shield. Any of its games can easily be adapted to the most powerful smartphones and tablets. There is no incentive for developers to restrict their games to a single system unless they're getting heavily subsidized by by console manufacturers like Microsoft or Sony.

I'm building my presumption on past practice. You are building yours in personal hope & habit.

Yes and past practice tells me Naughty Dog will release the sequel the same as it releases its first game - an Untimed exclusive unlinked to any console release.

Significant exclusives outside of launch titles? What? I am confused because Horizon Zero Dawn, Unchartered 4 and GOW were all released way after the launch of the system. It will be released on PS4 first.

And exclusives now do not mean they want to wait for PS5 if the timing isn’t right. They’ve got plenty of other exclusives for PS5 to fall back on (HZD2 and GOW for instance).

And the biggest reason PS5 will be backwards compatible is the relative enormous player base they’re accumulated with PS4. Most of us have accounts with digital games and it would be in their best interest to ensure all our games are carried over. It’s an advantage Sony would be foolish not to lean on considering they’d be way ahead of their competition. And PS5 will not be released in 2019..

Last edited:
Yes and past practice tells me Naughty Dog will release the sequel the same as it releases its first game - an Untimed exclusive unlinked to any console release
The remastered version of TLOU was itself part of the launch cycle for the PS4.

Past history suggests it will be a Full Exclusive, yes. I only mention the possibility of a Timed Exclusive as a more marketing-intensive form of a Console Exclusive. Uncharted came out as a full exclusive for the PS3 a year after the console's launch in 2006. Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3, TLOU1, and Uncharted 4 were all also full exclusives, but none were released at a date coinciding with a platform launch. That's the major potential difference, here.

Otherwise, what has been suspected so far is that it will launch on the PS4, preceding the release of the PS5, and probably later be remastered for the newer console so that that platform's base can enjoy the game.

Dang sounds like the PS5 is truly a thing which will most likely be released for next Christmas. I guess six years is roughly the span between gen’s since ps1.

I remembered hearing speculation a couple years back when the pro was released that maybe we wouldn’t see actual hard line generations in consoles anymore, but that seemed overly optimistic.

I’m really interested to see what this will look like from a performance standpoint. @Madmick didnt Sony learn the hard way with the PS3 launch that pricing near serviceable gaming PC’s was a bad strategy? I remember reading that the price was pretty high at launch and that a lot of the sales were at discounted prices toward the very end of the generation.

Yes and past practice tells me Naughty Dog will release the sequel the same as it releases its first game - an Untimed exclusive unlinked to any console release.

Significant exclusives outside of launch titles? What? I am confused because Horizon Zero Dawn, Unchartered 4 and GOW were all released way after the launch of the system. It will be released on PS4 first.

And exclusives now do not mean they want to wait for PS5 if the timing isn’t right. They’ve got plenty of other exclusives for PS5 to fall back on (HZD2 and GOW for instance).

And the biggest reason PS5 will be backwards compatible is the relative enormous player base they’re accumulated with PS4. Most of us have accounts with digital games and it would be in their best interest to ensure all our games are carried over. It’s an advantage Sony would be foolish not to lean on considering they’d be way ahead of their competition. And PS5 will not be released in 2019..
How will they be “way ahead of their competition “ backwards compatibility wise?

You realize not only is there a large collection of backwards compatible 360 games for the one, there is a growing collection of original Xbox games backwards compatible on the one now right?

How will they be “way ahead of their competition “ backwards compatibility wise?

You realize not only is there a large collection of backwards compatible 360 games for the one, there is a growing collection of original Xbox games backwards compatible on the one now right?
I think he means the PS4’s library is a nice selling point for the PS5 vs XBone’s for the XBox Two and the multigenerational exclusives in general are a feather in Sony’s hat.

XBox I know has Forza and Halo, but not sure if they have much else.

Lifetime PS4 sales are at least 72 mil. Xbox One is at around 30 mil. The user base is way larger on PS4 than Xbox one.

Both offer online accounts with free games.

Look at it from my point of view. I have an account with over 60 or more digital games (most of them free) that I can download anytime I want on my PS4. I pay $40 a year of PS4 network. The exclusives are better (as of now). What reason would I have for jumping over to next gen Xbox if they offer backwards compatibility? You think I care of those 360 games?

Now multiply me by the PS4 user base that is still outgrowing Xbox user base even now...

Lifetime PS4 sales are at least 72 mil. Xbox One is at around 30 mil. The user base is way larger on PS4 than Xbox one.

Both offer online accounts with free games.

Look at it from my point of view. I have an account with over 60 or more digital games (most of them free) that I can download anytime I want on my PS4. I pay $40 a year of PS4 network. The exclusives are better (as of now). What reason would I have for jumping over to next gen Xbox if they offer backwards compatibility? You think I care of those 360 games?

Now multiply me by the PS4 user base that is still outgrowing Xbox user base even now...
You are talking user base, not back compatablity wise I see.

Because one generation of back compat does not “get ahead of competition “ when they go three consoles back and would presumably be 4 with a new Xbox.

But I seriously doubt many people look at that as a buying metric.

If you want a new console you probably aren’t caring what games from your old console you can play, you are caring what the next gen games are. It’s just a “nice to have”
But with online play like you are taking and how it has gotten so popular it might become more and more of a selling point in the near future.

You are talking user base, not back compatablity wise I see.

Because one generation of back compat does not “get ahead of competition “ when they go three consoles back and would presumably be 4 with a new Xbox.

But I seriously doubt many people look at that as a buying metric.

If you want a new console you probably aren’t caring what games from your old console you can play, you are caring what the next gen games are. It’s just a “nice to have”
But with online play like you are taking and how it has gotten so popular it might become more and more of a selling point in the near future.
i wouldn’t be surprised if last gen compatibility isn’t a pretty important selling point for the first couple years. I believe this gen and last gen people have generally grumbled about sparse libraries for the first couple of years.

When I bought ps4 I think four years ago TLoU was considered the title to own until Bloodbourne came out.

Back