If Stipe somehow beats Jones, where do you rank him at HW all-time?

If Stipe somehow beats Jones, where do you rank him at HW all-time?

• Total voters
DC always looked great, regardless of age. Francis was gun shy in the Lewis fight and neither guy did anything. And Jon Jones just ran though Gane like nothing. I'll take that over Fedors best wins who were a guy who got out boxed by Frank Mir and a guy who got sent to the shadow realm by Gabe Gonzaga.

DC didn't always look great. He looked like a fat blob with 2.5 rounds of cardio by the time he fought Stipe and still knocked Stipe once in that post prime, post back surgery form. It's no coincidence DC retired after that trilogy. Fighters retire when their body is done. Not when they're in their prime.

You can make up excuses for why Francis lost to mids ass Derrick Lewis but i chalk it down to him still being green and mentally weak. Aka not at his best.

Since you like to disparage fighters for losing let me remind you Stipe got sent to the shaddow realm by none other than Stephan Struve when Stipe was 30 years old and already had 10 fights under his belt.

I'll take Fedors wins over Nog, Mirko and Arlovksi in their 20s when they were at their absolute peaks over Stipes wins over fat blob back surgery DC who retired after those fights, green Ngannou who lost to Derrick Lewis one fight later lol and 36 year old Jones who's best years were 8 years ago.

Get back to me when Stipe beats an all time great HW at their peak. It will never happen. It never happened either.

Last edited:
Jon Jones has a 1-0 record at HW.

Would defeating him at HW be a good win, sure.
Would defeating him at HW be one of the best wins at HW? No.

Nobody considers GSP one of the greatest MWs ever simply because he defeated Bisping.

Last edited:
Stipe is & will remain #2 For HW. I wouldn't dispute a tie with Fedor... due to a win over the undefeated Jones.

Though new to the division, Jones sliced through a Gane that looked super impressive last night... so he earned his HW strap after cleaning out LHW undefeated.

Fedor had a lot of "filler fights"... & obviously lost his mojo in the twilight of his career... but if you look at his "wins against top contenders", he has more wins than Stipe has against top contenders. (that's disputable & very subjective though) That's about the only way I know to calculate it across different orgs.

No, he’d still be #2. He can be #1 when he surpasses Fedor’s accomplishments. Jones would be a great win, but Jones is not a HW. He’s got no significant resume or accomplishments in that weight class. It would be a great win for Stipe; nothing more.

I don't think just one win, no matter how good, would put him above Fedor but he'd be in the top 3 in my book.

If single wins elevated someone to GOAT Weidman and Conor would be higher ranked.

Jon Jones has a 1-0 record at HW.

Would defeating him at HW be a good win, sure.
Would defeating him at HW be one of the best wins at HW? No.

Nobody considers GSP one of the greatest MWs ever simply because he defeated Bisping.

Beating GSP would be the peak highlight of any MW resume on the planet imo

Result of this fight doesn't change my opinion of either guy in the slightest.

Beating GSP would be the peak highlight of any MW resume on the planet imo
37 year old GSP, who was retired for 3 years and unranked in not just MW but WW as well for 3 years?

That's completely moronic.

37 year old GSP, who was retired for 3 years and unranked in not just MW but WW as well for 3 years?

That's completely moronic.

GSP was 36 when he fought Bisping. Jones is also 36 (and will be when he fights Stipe). Not sure who you are referring to at 37, but yeah.

What better MW win could Bisping have had at that point? You think a win over Yoel Romero would have aged better? Another Silva win?

We are talking about the greatest fighters to ever walk the planet in a world title fight. If he's good enough to be the champion (Jones), it seems like a solid win imo.

I think we will kinda change opinion and look at the win and say Jones hadn't really proven himself at HW and was out of prime, even before his 3 years off. But definitely would be a clear #2 after Fedor for me.

While Stipe is widely expected to get wrecked it's not because Jones is so good, it's because Stipe hasn't fought in 3 years and got KO'd in his last fight.

Stipe beating Jones doesn't say much to his all-time HW status as Jones has only had 1 fight at HW against a favorable style match.

Blaydes could have beat Gane or Jones on the night Jones won the title so it's not even clear to me that Jones is currently the best HW. I think he loses to Blaydes and Ngannou with a high level of certainty. I think he loses to Pav and Almeida too but I don't feel it strongly. I don't know how it would play out if he fought Aspinall.

Stipe has everything to gain here and nearly nothing to lose. He's debatably the best HW in UFC history already, but he's very nearly retired and has been out of action for a long while. He's expected to lose. A win here would be a stunning upset and would catapult him firmly into the history books. A loss would be unsurprising, but all the factors stacked against him means he would mostly keep his legacy intact.

Back