Is Ryan Phillippe underrated?

He's rated exactly where he should be. Had all the looks in the world but never really made it to the A list and now will remain a TV actor and occasional bit role player on the big screen for the rest of his career. Way of the Gun is a solid underrated flick. Crash is a fucking piece of garbage.

What would a SHAWSHANK sequel be like? What's going on there? It can't be a vacation comedy called WEEKEND AT ZIHUATENEO, can it? Like if Boggs was furloughed into the same town and got a job as a mischievous cabin boy, maybe? Bring in Percy from THE GREEN MILE, and Doug Hutchison's actual wife who accidentally (but not ironically nor seductively) calls him dad every now and again.

It turns out Boggs is the spitting image of a tropical dictator, so Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman break out his paralyzed body and do a Weekend at Bernie's / Moon Over Parador hybrid with comedic political hijinx.

It turns out Boggs is the spitting image of a tropical dictator, so Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman break out his paralyzed body and do a Weekend at Bernie's / Moon Over Parador hybrid with comedic political hijinx.
giphy.gif

I think he is.

He had a very good run in the late 90s and early 00s. 54, Cruel Intentions, Way of the Gun, Antitrust, Gosford Park, Crash. . . That's a fucking solid list of films.

While he's had some solid roles since Crash, he's definitely taken a step down and you never really hear anyone talk abut him anymore.

I do know that he has a new show on USA called Shooter, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Way of the Gun in particular is one of the my favorite movies of all time and it also has one of THE absolute best fucking opening scenes in any movie . . . ever!

What do you guys think about Ryan Phillippe? Underrated actor who should be getting higher profile roles or merely competent B-lister who was lucky to land the big roles that he did?

Shooter trailer:

The Way of the Gun has the GOAT opening scene. Starts on a moral low and just nose dives from there. God I love that movie.

I was at a house party a few years back in the Hollywood Hills a few years back and he was there with his baby mamma, not Reese but another one.

But I've seen some of his work and yeah, he isn't half bad.

Some of the best gallows humor around.

The look of disappointment on the empty chamber just kills. I love how him puts his other hand in his ear to stop the splatter.

Always liked him and felt the same. Should do more imo.

Way Of The Gun is a masterpiece.

He's a competent actor and has been rewarded as such with a rather successful career. Where someone like Jai Courtney lacks charisma altogether (though his lines generally don't read false), Phillippe kind of has the male version of resting bitch face. Unless he really fights it in a performance, he kind of comes across as a dick, and not in a way that's as interesting as the Hart Bochner, Michael Ironside or Philip Seymour Hoffman brands of jerks.

Phillippe is still working regularly in notable projects but isn't a superstar. Sounds about fair.

He's a competent actor and has been rewarded as such with a rather successful career. Where someone like Jai Courtney lacks charisma altogether (though his lines generally don't read false), Phillippe kind of has the male version of resting bitch face. Unless he really fights it in a performance, he kind of comes across as a dick, and not in a way that's as interesting as the Hart Bochner, Michael Ironside or Philip Seymour Hoffman brands of jerks.

Hmm, I'm not sure I've ever felt that way. Look at a movie like Antitrust. He's playing a good-at-heart character who gets in over his head and I thought he did it pretty well.

He was sympathetic and likable.

Phillippe is still working regularly in notable projects but isn't a superstar. Sounds about fair.

There was a time though when it looked like he was going to be an A-lister, and perhaps was for a short while. And then he just kind of faded out of the spotlight. Yes, he has continued to work and to have a pretty decent career, like you say, but he used to be a lot more noteworthy.

There was a time though when it looked like he was going to be an A-lister, and perhaps was for a short while. And then he just kind of faded out of the spotlight. Yes, he has continued to work and to have a pretty decent career, like you say, but he used to be a lot more noteworthy.

...and yet you talk smack about Eric Roberts.

There was an interview a while back where he said he took a break from acting to help raise his kids.

Always liked him and glad to see hez making a return

Back