Is Shavkat overhyped?

I think the hype comes from him being an all action type of fighter, like he's must watch TV no matter who he's competing against. So in that sense I believe he's properly hyped.
In terms of him as a fighter, he's a little overhyped IMO and I think people are underestimating how well dude's like Leon or JDM would do against him. His submissions are probably the most impressive part of his game I'd say so far, dude just has a way to find them altho we have seen that he has trouble taking the fight to the ground a few times now.

His defense is iffy as hell, but his chin and pressure makes up for it as shown in his Neal fight. However guys like Leon or even JDM I think will be able to negate some of that with their footwork.
Anyways he belongs in the top five for sure and I get the boogeyman status he's getting since fighters like Colby was avoiding saying his name at all costs, but Idk if I'm fully confident in him being the one to derail Leon.
Absolutely. I think 18-0 with 18 finishes is why people think he's the terminator. Regardless of what happens prior to the finish. People look at an undefeated record and never having allowed anybody to go the distance with him.

Interestingly, I saw some stats a few months ago about what separates UFC champions from every other fighter. And it was the amount of decisions they win, not finishes. Fighters with super high finish rates actually don't become champ that often. Of course, we have had fighters that buck the trend, like Aspinall and Carwin for example, but it is actually quite rare.

I agree, I'm saying he's overhyped when you look at him skill for skill compared to other guys in the division. I think a guy like JDM can give him a huge headache, and I think Jack knows that and that's why he's been calling him out for 3 years. Shavkats defense is sloppy like you said, his head movement is non existent and JDM has the best boxing in the division. Shavkat's equaliser is on the ground bit I've actually not been impressed with his takedowns. He couldn't take Neal down, he had some real issues getting Wondeboy down even though WB had a broken foot. When for example Burns and Belal had way less issues taking down a younger, fully healthy WB.

I think he can beat everybody at 170, but I also think a few of the top guys can beat him as well.

Idk about life and death - he ate some hard punches but his chin is world class and he wasn't rocked, was up on the scorecards, and got the finish
People talk about the Neal fight like it was the same situation as the Burns-Khamzat fight

Khamzat was dropped twice, won that decision by a hair, and Burns isn't a striker.

Whereas Shavkat wasn't dropped at all, won every round, finished the fight, and Neal is genuinely good on the feet.

Yes, Shavkat showed deficiencies in striking defense but it was a much better look than the Khamzat fight imo.

Overhyped? Lol. Nobody says he is a perfect fighter. He’s pretty fucking good though. His hype is appropriate. That finish rate speaks for itself.

Generally speaking, I don't judge a prospect until they've: (1) faced a good wrestler; and (2) had their cardio legitimately tested.

Shavkhat has had a great run and is fun to watch, so I wouldn't say he's "overhyped." But I would say he's still a bit unproven.

He's being treated as the boogeyman of the welterweight division, the guy whose going to take the belt and run the division. But imo his last two fights have revealed two flaws in his current skill set.

1. His offensive takedown game is average. He struggled against Neal. And while he did eventually get Wonderboy down in the second, a high level wrestler should have manhandled Wonderboy from the opening round.

2. His striking defense is pretty poor. He's very easy to hit. He's showing a great chin but the fact he's getting hit like that is not a great sign for career longevity.

Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing talent and that perfect finishing rate is insane. But I don't see the guy who fought Geoff Neal beating Leon Edwards. Leon is the better striker and has already handled the two best wrestlers in the division. I'm rooting for Shavkat as Leon is fairly boring to watch but I wouldn't favor him as of now.
I've said the same things for awhile. He's talented for sure, top contender, great fighter, but he's far from the unstoppable juggernaut that some make him out to be.

Leon I think is a great matchup for him though, and I do see him beating Leon if he fights him. Geoff Neal kind of showed a blueprint for the type of fighter he'll have weaknesses against.

Neal has great TDD and Shavkat fought the stupidest way possible and still won.

He is an elite fighter for sure. The best? to be seen
The stupidest way possible? What was his other way of fighting? How he fought is Shavkat's style dude, he doesn't fight any other way.

The hype mostly stems from him being an exciting as fuck fighter, and deservedly so. He's a lot like Jiri, but so far undefeated and doing it in a tougher division. He's also more well rounded but also has some of the same flaws.
Nobody's saying he's an all time great. I have my doubt he beats Leon who is more refined but we'll see.

The stupidest way possible? What was his other way of fighting? How he fought is Shavkat's style dude, he doesn't fight any other way.
He could have pushed Geoff to the cage or simply outpoint him without taking damage.. the Colbi way.

But Shavkat is a gift from the gods so he stood in front of him and banged with the technical brawler.. and gave us beautiful violence.

He is the rare example of warranted hype.

Sorry but this is a crock of shit. His performance against Neal was much more impressive than Garry's. He didn't go "life and death" either. He chose to stand and trade in the third round as he was cruising his way to victory, then choked him out.

He also fought "old, injured Wonderboy" because he was the only one who would accept a fight with him. Who is also incredibly difficult to finish and was submitted for the first time by Shavkat.

Belal and Leon are the only WWs currently on a better run.
People see what they want to see obviously.

Garry barely got touched by Neal for 15 minutes while comfortably outpointing him.

Shavkat made Neal look like a much better fighter than he actually is. Got badly rocked in the fight he was supposedly cruising to victory in and had to rally back for the finish. Neal is a pliddy headhunter who Shabkat had a huge length advantage over, he shouldn't have been able to connect almost at will like he was.

You ironically are a perfect example of why he is so overhyped. I've actually been very complimentary of Shavkat, even saying he is capable of beating everyone in the division, yet you take some minor criticism of his game and skillset and shit your pants.

Yes. His offensive wrestling is not the threat that most people assumed earlier in his career.

I dont see him beating Leon and Im not even confident that he gets passed JDM.

The only time Shavkat nearly lost was vs Ordilov.
Ordilov is currently destroying shit in ACA at LHW.

Ordilov

Shavkat is a monster at WW everyone can be beaten but if Chimaev moves to MW permanently i am pretty sure he beats everyone.

He's being treated as the boogeyman of the welterweight division, the guy whose going to take the belt and run the division. But imo his last two fights have revealed two flaws in his current skill set.

1. His offensive takedown game is average. He struggled against Neal. And while he did eventually get Wonderboy down in the second, a high level wrestler should have manhandled Wonderboy from the opening round.

2. His striking defense is pretty poor. He's very easy to hit. He's showing a great chin but the fact he's getting hit like that is not a great sign for career longevity.

Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing talent and that perfect finishing rate is insane. But I don't see the guy who fought Geoff Neal beating Leon Edwards. Leon is the better striker and has already handled the two best wrestlers in the division. I'm rooting for Shavkat as Leon is fairly boring to watch but I wouldn't favor him as of now.

It reminds me a bit of the BSD hype to be honest: both are very physically imposing for their division, both all action finishing machines, both have great grappling but with their offensive takedown game being only average, both are dangerous as fuck on the feet while simultaneously being unpolished and hittable.

I think he really is great and a threat to anyone and has amazing potential, but I do not think he beats Leon edwards as things are right now. He might not get past JDM, either.

Ehh overhyped isn't fair but his biggest fans won't admit his striking defense is blocking punches with his face. Which might be a problem.

People see what they want to see obviously.

Garry barely got touched by Neal for 15 minutes while comfortably outpointing him.

Shavkat made Neal look like a much better fighter than he actually is. Got badly rocked in the fight he was supposedly cruising to victory in and had to rally back for the finish. Neal is a pliddy headhunter who Shabkat had a huge length advantage over, he shouldn't have been able to connect almost at will like he was.

You ironically are a perfect example of why he is so overhyped. I've actually been very complimentary of Shavkat, even saying he is capable of beating everyone in the division, yet you take some minor criticism of his game and skillset and shit your pants.
This is exactly how the Shavkat vs Neal fight was going until he decided to throw down in the third. Garry's performance was just a more boring version of Shavkat's without the finish, while acting like a clown, which is where most of the criticism stemmed from.

Edit - My issue also isn't with your assessment of his skillset/ability, it's the typical disingenuous nitpicking used to devalue wins/records. If the rank squatters above him would pony up and accept his call-outs, perhaps he would be able to fight stronger competition.

Last edited:
It reminds me a bit of the BSD hype to be honest: both are very physically imposing for their division, both all action finishing machines, both have great grappling but with their offensive takedown game being only average, both are dangerous as fuck on the feet while simultaneously being unpolished and hittable.

I think he really is great and a threat to anyone and has amazing potential, but I do not think he beats Leon edwards as things are right now. He might not get past JDM, either.
BSD is actually the perfect comparison.

Fantastic grappling, mediocre takedowns. Huge and physically opposing for the division. Very dangerous offense but leaves a lot to be desired defensively.

I agree about Leon and JDM. I think JDM is probably the worst matchup in the division for him, worse than Leon is.

Shavkat's clear weakness in his game is boxing and particularly boxing defense. His head doesn't leave the center line ever, and even a very rudimentary one handed headhunter in Geoff Neal was able to tag him almost at will. JDM is by far the best boxer in that division, with a much more varied offense than Neal. He will work the body (And Shavkat has a looooooong torso to work with) and will mix it up far more than Neal did. That fight all depends on hiw easily Shavkat can get him to the ground imo, on the feet, of course he has a shot but I don't particularly like his chances.

I also think JDM is the worst matchup in the division for Leon for the same reason. Edwards' weakest part of his game is also in boxing range throwing hands.

I'm talking overhyped as in everyone is talking about him running the division and I don't see him beating Leon without improvements in his game.
His wrestling is as he admits it the weakest part of his game that he's been working on hardest since he was signed to the UFC (saw some interview I'll try to find), but I think he is much stronger than Leon in the clinch, which is where I would see him winning that fight with Leon.

With improvements to his striking defense, he's definitely champ shit material if not already, and a Just Bleed darling at that. He's also a more cerebral fighter than he seems, it's incredibly difficult to have a 100% finish rate in the sport. It doesn't make him the Terminator (lol) but it does show that he's dangerous literally every second of the fight with both a KO threat and a submission threat.

I also agree with the two above that JDM is actually his most dangerous possible opponent, as he's the one I see most probable to crack the chin. JDM is incredibly sharp and accurate, wonderful technical boxing especially when he finds his range. I do hope that's a title fight in the coming years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonSable
Back