News Islam was 8 lbs heavier than first Volk fight

Firstly, being "in shape" and being "in condition" are two different things. You can be ripped with a 6 pack and still gas after 3 rounds. Conditioning builds up your ability to expend energy for longer durations, don't confuse that with being "in shape".

Also, most high level combat athletes aren't very active so they use training camps to reduce ring/cage rust and hone their timing, in addition to conditioning. Volk has been the most active fighter in the UFC, so this whole "getting off the couch" thing only goes so far with him. He didn't have the rust that inactive fighters typically have to shake off. The fact that he got KO'd in round 1 significantly reduces the lack of training camp as an excuse. If Volk got KO'd in rd 3-4 you might have a point.

I think you're the one confusing things. You act like because he's always in some sort of mythical "shape" when not preparing for a fight, he can still do the same things he always does in fights for at least a round or two so his not having a camp had nothing to do with Islam landing that kick. That's bullshit. I'm not saying Islam couldnt have landed it anyway because he landed that kick precisely because HE was in fight shape. He had his quickness and timing down perfectly from being in a long camp and getting tons of reps while sparring. Meanwhile, Volk had no chance with no camp. His timing was so bad he was unable to even land a single punch much less see and block things coming at him.

None of this is an excuse for Volk. It's simply a fact that even he realized afterwards. Volk thought like you did, that he could go out there and perform the same way he always does even with no camp at least for a couple of rounds. That kick knocked some sense into him when he said he realizes now that you don't fight someone of Islam's caliber without training for him.

The UFC had a backup in Gamrot and should have gone with him. They simply felt they needed a bigger name to sell the fight. I don't think Volk gets another chance unless he can run the table of LW contenders and at his age, I doubt that's happening.

Last edited:
So why is he talking about being heavier like its a good thing??...SMH, coaches need some guidance on the kind of DUMB things they can say in interviews, let the UFC worry about how much do they weigh on fight night, so far only CSAC bothers with this, if there is no official data they shouldnt talk about it, its all talk and in this case makes it sound like there was some shady things allowed by the UAE non existent comission that allowed him to either miss weight, or to rehydrate, cause back to the Australia fight there were allegations of IV use to rehydrate...now there is no allegations but his own camp claims he was 8lbs heavier than their first fight? Dumb, dumb talk by Javier Mendez, im not watching that, im not watching him talk, ever, the guy is always full of shit regarding his fighters.

What Volk did the first fight was incredible, he’s still lost but credit has to be given. At the same time Islam clearly did not look like his normal self. I’m glad we got the rematch, Islam was able to prove definitively that he’s the better fighter, and we can finally put this rivalry to rest.

Now all the Dagestani haters can move on to their next chosen one and continue to try and convince us that Islam isn’t that good and that whoever is next will finally be his kryptonite blah blah blah. You are all a bunch of idiots.
Volk was on 8 days notice and out of camp. There's also a huge size advantage.

The only thing the fight proved is that Islam is too big.

Just like Jared Cannonier would DESTROY Islam. But Islam is more skilled.

I am pretty sure Islam would win most of the times against Volk, and I even kinda do think he is the better fighter of the two, so I understand your point. However, and never mind that being a specific matchup which doesn't define a fighter as a whole, my main point is that it was a smaller guy challenging a bigger guy. I know it's not the same as saying Bob Sapp is a better fighter than Floyd Mayweather just because he'd likely KO him every time, but you get the idea.

I guess a more fair comparison could be Jan Blachowicz and Izzy. Izzy lost their champ vs champ fight and would probably lose if they fought again, but Izzy still looks like the better fighter of the two.

Well that’s where the p4p list comes from. Volk might be a better fighter at 45 than Islam at 55, but it still doesn’t take away from the fact that Islam beats Volk.

Islam looked like a He-Man figure in there. Mythical fully hydrated Islam was actually the truth.

If you see the photos he posted today of him and volk in a coffee shop, it really shows the difference in size. It's like Aragorn and Gimli

Khabib missed weight only once in his life in 2013, but he was still dying to make it until the end of his career. Didn’t miss, but obviously had troubles every time. Not missing doesn’t mean you are not big for the division.

He has missed weight at least 3 times.

Lol, even Volk isn't making those excuses.

Not having a full training camp doesn't physically affect a fighter in the same way as lack of hydration. The latter affects your ability to actually fight, no matter how skilled you are or how well you trained.

We've seen fighters win short notice fights and even become champions.
Yeah but you should probably shut the hell up when talking "compromised" fighters. Embarrassing post.

do u really believe these guys dont train all year round?
you believe he only trained for 2 weeks?
these are fighters they train all year round to improve
Training for a fight and just training are two completely different things. You would have known that if you trained at all.

Islam is special man

Islam is not someone you take a short notice fight againt, and at his age I doubt Volk is gonna be at the top much longer after being head kicked KO

The question now is, who does Islam fight next?

Starts at 12:50. According to Javier Mendez islam was 8 lbs heavier than he was in Perth. This puts to bed the question about whether the shorter rehydration window affected the first fight, it absolutely did.

"I can't rehydrate my body fully in under 60 hours, Perth was an injustice. My weight advantage was mitigated by 4kg"
Lol

Not a flex, just a fact. To me it says Volk would've probably gotten smashed in the first fight, islam was dried out and compromised, and still arguably won 4-1.
Well yeah Volk was supposed to get smashed in the first fight. Islam opened as a -490 favorite. Bobby Green and Dan Hooker had better odds lol.

It’s amazing Volk did as well as he did. Weight classes exist for a reason. Volk really doesn’t belong in the octagon with Islam.

This entire thread:
"A guy performed better this time compared to before with less rehydration time"
"OH SO YOU'RE SAYING THIS GUY THAT TOOK THIS FIGHT ON SHORT NOTICE WASN'T AFFECTED?"

It's like

"I don't think oranges grow in antarctica"
"OH SO YOU'RE SAYING COLD WEATHER IS EVIL?"

I’m not sure you understand how weight cutting works.

Volk usually weighs 170 - 172 in the cage even in his most recent few FW bouts, bruv, by his own words. That's as much as an average LW.

But I see the Volk stans need to keep pretending that there's some massive weight gulf between Volk and Islam just because Alex has an amazing talent for cutting an insane amount of lbs.

So many variables sure, but at the end of the day, it was probably Islam’s adjustments that made the biggest difference. At this level you cannot make mistakes against a guy like him.
I will say Volk looked tiny and soft but they agreed to all the terms of the match, so it is what it is.

He walks around heavier than Colby/Leon and is completely chiseled. This guy is going to be very hard to beat.. I think it would take a proper MW at this point, although I am one of those crazys that thinks Justin may be able to chop his leg in half.. Remember, he was One leg kick away from having Khabib in Peril!!

Back