Johnson's power vs McGregor's

Mcgregor is very accurate but I don't believe he has one punch stopping power. He usually has to stun a person and then go in for the kill. People always bring up he knocked down iron chinned Nate but Nate even got knocked down in a fight with Bendo

Force was the wrong term. Can't remember the correct one in English, but Mcgregor has more power x speed which translates to harder punches. He also has much longer reach so he can punch through his opponent instead of just hitting them right on the end of his punches where most of the power is gone.

Aldo and Edgar is a perfect example. Same size and speed, but the former is much more explosive. Has a lot to do with strength and the type of muscle fibre you have.

I think its a lot more complicated than who has more power. "Power" is an overrated concept in martial arts.

If you put your hands behind your back and let either MJ or McGregor clip you right on the chin, I am fairly confident that both would put you out cold. They probably are similarly athletic.

However, McGregor is much better at setting you up for the left hand in a real fight. He's just the better overall striker.

It doesn't only have to do with raw power or speed, it has to do with him setting you up, making you drop your hands, making you go forward or backward and lose your balance, and THEN striking you when you are in a bad position.

The reason McGregor knocks so many guys out has a lot more to do with footwork and positioning, set ups, timing and precision than power.

How do you quantify this?

Force = mass x acceleration

If Johnson's punches have more acceleration than McGregor's, then is it just because McGregor is bigger that he has more power? To me they seem roughly the same size.
Good luck. People in boxing have spent lifetimes trying to explain power. They think they have it figured out, then a short, skinny guy like Prince Naseem Hamed comes around and starts flatlining good fighters with off balance punches, arm punches, going backwards, etc. Some fighters just have hands made of stone and it's almost impossible to quantify.

Good luck. People in boxing have spent lifetimes trying to explain power. They think they have it figured out, then a short, skinny guy like Prince Naseem Hamed comes around and starts flatlining good fighters with off balance punches, arm punches, going backwards, etc. Some fighters just have hands made of stone and it's almost impossible to quantify.

Read my last post right above yours.

Power is an overrated concept in combat sports. Everyone has power.

The angle at which the punch comes from, which part of the face it hits you in and the position you are in while getting hit will determine whether you get KO'd or dropped much more than how much power was in the punch.

Johnson has a lot of power and is faster than McGregor.

giphy.gif

Also, he's a southpaw, which proves Khabib can deal with punches from those angles unlike guys like Eddie Alvarez who constantly had problems with getting hit by southpaws. Khabib keeps his right hand glued to his face so its pretty hard to land a straight left on him.

I think MJ vs Khabib will look a lot like McGregor vs Khabib, except McGregor will be finished faster because his defensive positional grappling is worse than MJ's.

You mean it's pretty hard to land a hook right? Please tell me you know the difference between a straight and a hook.

Whatever the case is, due to having his hand glued to the right side of his face, Khabib is vulnerable to all sorts of trouble, like liver and other body shots, and also straight punches to the face which are arguably McGregor's strongest weapon.

You mean it's pretty hard to land a hook right? Please tell me you know the difference between a straight and a hook.

Whatever the case is, due to having his hand glued to the right side of his face, Khabib is vulnerable to all sorts of trouble, like liver and other body shots, and also straight punches to the face which are arguably McGregor's strongest weapon.

If your right hand is glued to the right side of your face, its hard to land any type of left punch on you, whether its a hook or straight.

A hook would be easier to land than a straight in that scenario, actually. Because it could go around the hand and clip you behind the ear.

Whereas a cross from a southpaw will usually land on the right side of your face.

FaMO.gif

Read my last post right above yours.

Power is an overrated concept in combat sports. Everyone has power.

The angle at which the punch comes from, which part of the face it hits you in and the position you are in while getting hit will determine whether you get KO'd or dropped much more than how much power was in the punch.
I'm not not disagreeing. I will say the most important thing is what the guy who gets KO'd is doing. Why did a jab KO Barboza? Because he walked right into it. The best weapon for counterpunchers is hitting their opponent with a shot they never saw coming or step into. The punch doesn't have to be hard when you have no idea it's coming. You just wake up wondering wtf happened.

Conor has accuracy and timing thats the biggest difference. When he connects Khabib won't know what hit him or where it came from.

If your right hand is glued to the right side of your face, its hard to land any type of left punch on you, whether its a hook or straight.

A hook would be easier to land than a straight in that scenario, actually. Because it could go around the hand and clip you behind the ear.

Whereas a cross from a southpaw will usually land on the right side of your face.

This is probably the stupidest sentence I've read on sherdog, well done mate.

I think MJ is easily up there in power with Conor. Maybe he even has more.

But Conor is much better at actually delivering his power. He punches better but not harder imo.

Accuracy and timing give him the edge over MJ when it comes to KO ability. But MJ can definitely drop or KO any LW with the right shot.

There is enough reason to assume that Khabib can take a massive shot. Anyone can get KO'd though. It's both possible that Conor either finds his chin early and manages to put him away early or that he fails to do so and it looks like he does not have the power to finish Khabib.

He has to connect with the right punches at the right time.

McGregor has deceptive power. He doesn't seem to hit that hard on first glance, but you see the look on his opponent's faces change when he lands a clean shot. They get this "Oh shit! I wasn't expecting that" look on their faces and their eyes glaze over.

MJ just hits hard and people know it, he doesn't seem to carry that surprise factor that Conor does.

McGregor has deceptive power. He doesn't seem to hit that hard on first glance, but you see the look on his opponent's faces change when he lands a clean shot. They get this "Oh shit! I wasn't expecting that" look on their faces and their eyes glaze over.

MJ just hits hard and people know it, he doesn't seem to carry that surprise factor that Conor does.

That's because McGregor sets you up and hits you when you don't expect it.

When he hits you, you don't even realize what hit you.

MJ, you can usually see the punch coming because.

I think Johnson has just as much raw power, but he is nowhere near as accurate with it as McGregor.

That straight left is an impressive punch.

Mcgregor is definitely more accurate, but Johnson's hands are faster.

A couple more huge factors in power. 1. If you get caught during an exchange, you're gonna get hurt worse. Getting caught in the pocket is always more devastating than from distance. 2. Height. Punching up to reach a taller opponent robs you of some power. If you look at a lot of Tyson's KO's, he caught his opponents when they were hinging at the hips or going straight back with their chin in the air.

If you watch that sequence, Khabib was never really "rocked" or "wobbled".

And even if you think he was, which I personally don't, he maintained great composure, kept his hands up and blocked almost all of the followup shots. He blocked a few punches, then after 1 blocked punch he was able to shoot and get MJ down.

Khabib's defensive stand-up fighting is extremely underrated. He knows how to block punches and stay calm very well.

Unless McGregor actually puts him out with 1 punch, I don't see him finishing Khabib. If he lands a punch and then tries to swarm him, Khabib is most likely going to just cover up completely and use McGregor's aggression/pressure against him to take him down.

Bolded: this is actually quite important. If you watch the fight, Khabib is hit clean and staggers, and he takes a sec to reset. To me he looks a bit hurt but he handles it very well. He defends, clears his head and gets back to it. He was very composed even when hit cleanly. And not only does he have good composure, he also showed he can take a hard punch. These are assets to Khabib's game which can only become known once tested and he passed. He's much more than just a good TD artist.

I've picked Conor and I'll stick to that but Khabib is not to be underestimated.

Last edited:
Mcgregor's got that Dim Mak power. There's something freakish about it.

I feel like I always have to come on say this on Conor threads as a disclaimer (just a personal thing)- I love the way Conor fights but I don't like the man.
Anyways- as to o.p- please, Conor is not only stalker and counter puncher but his power is superior to,Lmao, Mike Johnson.

Again, for the umpteenth time, theres a reason why the betting odds are -160/ +130 and have pretty much stayed that way (something I've told the betting public that would happen).
The fact that 90% of Conors colleagues are picking khabibby means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
I have no clue who's going to win fight but these next 2 weeks are going to be awesome- champ/ elite vs champ/elite in Mousasi vs Macdonald then champ /elite vs champ [he never lost title]/elite in khabibby vs Conor.

It can't get much better for sport as far as back to back weeks.
#stoked

Back