Khabib: Poirier is a worthy title fighter, but I've got no respect for him. I will break Conor.

There's paper championships...and then there's Khabib's decorative championship
Can't wait to GSP step in.

Just need to wait for Al Iaquinta to become the champ before that happens.

One need not fault Habib to recognize that his title is weak.

I think one thing he could have done is try to get a title defense scheduled quickly. He didn't seem to take much damage vs Iaquinta and the division has been log-jammed for a while, so there's several decent fights he could take. Instead we have to play the waiting game. So much for Khabib saving the LW division. He'll be better than Conor because he'll fight rarely while Conor never defended at all. But outside of that comparison, Khabib is likely to be a very inactive champ.
that sounds ideal, and is a good thought(getting a quick defense in), but nobody was really clamoring for that. this is the first mention i've heard of it. who do you have in mind? Tony out.... Conor not happening.... Lee is fighting Barbosa.... Eddie? Eddie won't even fight Poirier for the rematch he promised him.
You're likely right as Khabib has never been a super active talent, but there's not a lot on the table presently in options that would improve his case to combat those that are unhappy with the level of competition he has faced to receive his belt.

There's paper championships...and then there's Khabib's decorative championship
They could have given Khabib a belt out of a Crackerjack box and I'd still consider him the most legit champ that division has had in years.

It's basically to the point of having Cyborg fight a blown up 135lb fighter from another promotion just to give her strap everyone knows should be hers anyway.

fakest belt in dana's long, fake history; should have had Don King there to strap it on the Kabob

A couple of hours ago Khabib had a big 1 hour long Q&A session with press and students of his former University (yes Khabib went to university :)).

When asked about who he is fighting next he said (around 27th minute):

There is no opponent at the moment, but there are negotiations about a possible fight at the end of the year. For me it makes no difference to be honest. I will fight whoever they give me. As long as I am healthy and have a desire to fight I will be defending my title.

There are negotiations about a fight with McGregor, but I don't want the negotiations to draw out and take to long.If I won't be able to come to an agreement with Conor to fight by the end of this year I would like to fight Poirier or another fighter.

(Some people in the crowd say he's not good enough)

Not good enough for a UFC title fight you say? I don't agree with that. He's fought 20 fights in the UFC. He is a worthy fighter, but I sure don't have any respect for Dustin.

If I fight Conor, you won't see a fight like with Barboza or Iaquinta. With Conor I'll wrestle, take him down and break him.

Anyone know why Khabib would say this about Poirier? Has he been trash talking?

If you want me to translate more, tell me about it in the comments.

I'm guessing he meant that he doesn't respect or fear Dustin as a fighter, not on a personal level.

Even Khabib knows he better DIVE for takedowns from bell to bell or he will be Conors easiest UFC fight.

I don't see how that is fair. He has pulled out of how many fights? Injuries... weight issues... declined fights due to religious purposes... Does he even have a 50% show record for fights he has committed to in the UFC?

Did they give belts around to others like candy when Khabib was too busy being unprofessional in his own ways?

I don't see how your post is fair. What does khabib's injuries and weight issues have to do with how he got the belt?

Khabib was supposed to fight Tony and then was supposed to fight Holloway. How the hell can he be blamed for them not making it to the fight?

Simple: if he thinks Eddie took dive, then he is pretty sure Dustin also took dive against Conor.

"Possible fight by the end of the year"....it's fuckin April. Khabib with a belt is gonna fight even less than Khabib without a belt.

Lightweight is going to be just as inactive with Khabib as the champion, the dude since coming into the UFC has fought an average of a little over once per year. The LW belt will go undefended for a year plus easily if Khabib ever gets injured, but I can guarantee that people won't be calling for him to be stripped. He's immune to criticism it seems.

I'm not taking sides on this cause I don't care....

... but Khabib said he was not going to fight unless it was for the title... so the UFC had to make it a title fight no matter who stepped up. If 16th ranked Felder would've stepped up... it would've been for the title.

Y'all argue it from there... but my personal point of view is that he's not completely the champ. Maybe like a half champ or something.

You're right, he's not completely the champ. I didn't say that, either. I firmly believe Tony would beat him if they fought.
But him pulling out from the event too wouldn't have made anything better.

UPDATE:

Think that I've found the reason why Khabib is upset.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/18/dustin-poirier-khabib-ufc-title-shot/

At the end of the interview:

Is there anything you want to say to Khabib?

Shine that belt up nice, cause it's coming home with me.

giphy.gif

who is better than khabib at LW? rda, eddie and conor have been paper champs.
Wait, what?

How was RDA a paper champ? How was Eddie a paper champ?

Seriously, do you know what people mean when they use that term?

Back