Lady w/ F--k Trump sticker Arrested

Nehls posted a photo of the truck on Facebook Wednesday: "I have received numerous calls regarding the offensive display on this truck as it is often seen along FM 359. If you know who owns this truck or it is yours, I would like to discuss it with you," the post read. "Our Prosecutor has informed us she would accept Disorderly Conduct charges regarding it, but I feel we could come to an agreement regarding a modification to it."

Sounds like the prosecutor was willing to press charges but the Sheriff wanted to possibly avoid that. All I can go on is what he publicly posted on FB per the article. He went on to say that they hoped to prevent physical confrontations, which sounds reasonable enough.

Either way, it was discovered she was already a fugitive for past crimes and was arrested as such.

Who’s the bad guy here? The sheriff? The prosecutor? The judge who signed the warrant she was arrested on?

I’m just not seeing it...
I don't think anybody's the bad guy here. Just a dispute about what should be acceptable.

The way I read it the threat of a disorderly conduct charge was basically an attention getter. Sounds like the cop just wanted to talk to the lady in hopes of convincing her that it's best to not parade yourself around with such an inflammatory message being broadcast to every nut on the road. Essentially a safety concern. Which is valid. Some might call it a preventative effort.
Surprised that you'd feel that way about this one. I would expect you to be on the extreme free speech end.

I don't think anybody's the bad guy here. Just a dispute about what should be acceptable.

Well we know fraud shouldn’t be lmao.

But I understand what you’re getting at. For me, even those “Fuck Cancer” (a sentiment we can all agree on) things come across as a bit crass for public display. I don’t think it’s a big deal, but I understand that basically saying “fuck you!” to a segment of the local population is going to anger some people. It could be argued it amounts to “fighting words.”

"fuck trump" seems like a reasonable bumper sticker, but lady had it in giant letters on the truck's rear window, along with "fuck you" for people who voted for him. I can see how that's unacceptable.

Dude I'm totally with you it's a reasonable sticker

There’s a huge legal difference to me between “fuck Trump” and “fuck Trump and you for voting for him.”

The first example I can’t see as fighting words, but the second I could.

The way I read it the threat of a disorderly conduct charge was basically an attention getter. Sounds like the cop just wanted to talk to the lady in hopes of convincing her that it's best to not parade yourself around with such an inflammatory message being broadcast to every nut on the road. Essentially a safety concern. Which is valid. Some might call it a preventative effort.

It’s not valid. You can turn anything into a safety concern at that point. Sorry Muslims your no longer allowed to practice your religion safety concern which is valid.

A similar case has already been ruled on and she’s allowed to have that bumper sticker. The DA and sheriff can say what they want in court this would be thrown out.

Having a bumper sticker at all is pretty trashy. Cruising around in what is surely a 1996 geo metro with the most meaningless, profane political bumper sticker while you have a warrant for fraud is just magnificent. The bumper sticker doesn't sound like a criminal offense, but fraud certainly is, and putting "fuck more than half the people in this state" on your car isn't exactly a great way to lay low.

Last edited:
Surprised that you'd feel that way about this one. I would expect you to be on the extreme free speech end.

I am. And had she been arrested for it I'd have nothing but scorn for the local authorities responsible. But it sounds like the cop wanted to explain the risks and encourage a different decision rather than try to make charges stick. It seems reasonable to me. People can get pretty worked up on traffic already. That sign is begging for trouble.

I don't think profane bumper stickers should be allowed. Our society lacks decency, in my opinion.

But arrested? That's absurd. I think a ticket with a small fine would be more than adequate. This is America, we should not be arresting people for bad words.

Edit: Her warrant and arrest was for fraud, but the sheriff threatened to press charges for the sticker, which is crazy.

2nd edit: You know, I take it back. The woman is irresponsible and immature, and I would not want to associate with her. But you can't really regulate the words people put on their own possessions. Who would make the list of banned words?

But I really can't stand that type of person. It's like the guy who blasts profane rap music in parking lots.
Most states have laws about profanity in public. Texas does. She broke the law.

It’s not valid. You can turn anything into a safety concern at that point. Sorry Muslims your no longer allowed to practice your religion safety concern which is valid.

A similar case has already been ruled on and she’s allowed to have that bumper sticker. The DA and sheriff can say what they want in court this would be thrown out.

I guess we have a difference of opinion. That's a pretty weak analogy by the way.

As we clearly see, it's not going to court.

Go fuck yourself.

Snowflake.
No, no. I use harsh words on the internet. Calm down, I'm hardcore, like you.

But in public, where there may be people who don't want to hear or see such language. Show some consideration for people around you when you're in a public place.

I am. And had she been arrested for it I'd have nothing but scorn for the local authorities responsible. But it sounds like the cop wanted to explain the risks and encourage a different decision rather than try to make charges stick. It seems reasonable to me. People can get pretty worked up on traffic already. That sign is begging for trouble.

if one only wants to explain and encourage, opening with a threat is not getting off on the right foot. no?

Liberals are funny... person with warrant gets arrested and they blame the cop who arrests her.

Except that people in the USA have freedom of religion and “fighting words” have already been found to not be protected speech. Care to post the “similar case?” Is it in the same jurisdiction? No offense, but you don’t seem well versed in legal matters.

Most states have laws about profanity in public. Texas does. She broke the law.

I wonder how each state determines what words are considered profanity and it it applies to speaking, t-shirts, etc.

I know that they will deny you a personalized license plate that they deem inappropriate. But again, I have no idea how they decide. They would obviously deny "sukmydk" or something, but I saw "yelofvr" once and thought it was odd.

I have a personal disdain for people who are loud and profane in public. I really can't stand those people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back