Economy Last days of Tesla. Closing a dozen solar plants. Loses deal with Home Depot.

This is the problem no ones especially the big 3 ever going to say starting or running a car company is easy especially an electric car company. Recently GM's head of EV development wrote an OP-ed piece saying that for electric cars to succeed 3 things need to be solved.

Forbes automotive writer tore into the OP-ed hard but as they talk about California I live across the country an Model 3's are popping up everywhere.

Cost is still an issue and recent tweets by Elon seems to back the idea it's not getting much cheaper. The Cybertruck is huge in size and has a massive battery but remains a 40,000 dollar plus item.

A lot of people where hoping that the big three or VW was going to run over Tesla. It seems other manufacturers are running into manufacturing delays or rising prices. Part of the reason Elon points to is manufacturing.

The gigafactory was in his word was the most complex product any of his companies to date. Elon points to the decade of investment in engineering in manufacturing of the product.

No one other then people internally has seen the machines that insert and assemble the battery modules or the drives. When people see the manufacturing they see finished modules being installed into rolling chassis then being attached to the body.

Tesla been able to assemble 1200 battery packs a day from one factory. Elon said at one time the robots move faster then the human eye. That means over 8,000 cells X 1200 a day.

That's almost 50 percent of the world's output of Lithium batteries. Panasonic and Tesla are at each other at going forward because Tesla needs 8 million plus cells a day.

These issues others are running into who's going to make the cells at volume levels they need. Ford said Mustang Mark-3 production going to be limited to 50,000 cars a year due to battery shortages.

Tesla as CEO of VW recently stated achieved was unprecedented an Porsche CEO VW subsidiary stated the same thing. Even huge deep pocketed manufacturers have admitted to the difficulty it takes to achieve what Tesla is doing.

Tesla revenue will continue to be challenged as they continue to build more factories at about 1 a year. We could be talking over 10 of these things around the world.

But through all of it Tesla moves forward in a challenging direction while trying to secure materials to build them.
lol the cybertruck isn't even fucking close to 40k.
That's the same bullshit that idiots read when the Model3 came out in 2017 for "30k"...never happened. Cybertruck will be a 50k+ car minimum

That's the same bullshit that idiots read when the Model3 came out in 2017 for "30k"...never happened. Cybertruck will be a 50k+ car minimum

Don't be so obnoxious you know your F-150 crew with rebates is still going to cost you 35K. You still need to add a cover for the bed "Cybertruck has a retractable harden steel cover" adds 2,400 to the cost. It has several channel locks in the bed and in the side made of harden steel. To get anything similar in a Ford your looking at 1500 dollars.

Illuminate bed built in takes full size 4 × 8 sheets without needing to purchase a flip up lid in the door. The bed has a 3,500 lb capacity vs 2,000 lbs in both the Ford and Chevy.

The body and chassis stainless steel exoskeleton will last well beyond the 3 to 5 years the average road construction truck will last due to salt corrosion. This from actual people who work on roads.

No need to do regular service checks because it does not need oil changes especially useful for people who drive an average of 30,000 miles a year doing construction.

This save 100's of dollars a year. Fuel costs even in expensive electric utilities rates it's a 3rd the cost vs similar non electric trucks. Built in 220 and 110 electric outlets for tools included in the price.

Automatic ride height adjustment when adding weight to the bed. I could go on and on.

Don't be so obnoxious you know your F-150 crew with rebates is still going to cost you 35K. You still need to add a cover for the bed "Cybertruck has a retractable harden steel cover" adds 2,400 to the cost. It has several channel locks in the bed and in the side made of harden steel. To get anything similar in a Ford your looking at 1500 dollars.

Illuminate bed built in takes full size 4 × 8 sheets without needing to purchase a flip up lid in the door. The bed has a 3,500 lb capacity vs 2,000 lbs in both the Ford and Chevy.

The body and chassis stainless steel exoskeleton will last well beyond the 3 to 5 years the average road construction truck will last due to salt corrosion. This from actual people who work on roads.

No need to do regular service checks because it does not need oil changes especially useful for people who drive an average of 30,000 miles a year doing construction.

This save 100's of dollars a year. Fuel costs even in expensive electric utilities rates it's a 3rd the cost vs similar non electric trucks. Built in 220 and 110 electric outlets for tools included in the price.

Automatic ride height adjustment when adding weight to the bed. I could go on and on.

Loved the concept and weird design

If it was available in my country for 40K I'd buy

Loved the concept and weird design

If it was available in my country for 40K I'd buy

The design according to Elon as well as the difficulty working with harden steel is aerodynamics. It could have as low as .30 CD number for aerodynamics if the bed is closed and the truck is not at highest setting.

I don't know what Country you live in but many countries now offer tax incentives to purchase electric vehicles.

Some put a limit under 50K purchase price. If you live in some of these Countries you could see anywhere from 2000 to 7500 or more off the price.

But at a base price of 39,900 for rear drive model that as I point out is pretty loaded. The added cost items are tires 3 different types and likely interior colors and matte black already confirmed. You should with tax breaks still be under the 40k point.

You should educate yourself on Elon musk and Tesla

The base model CyberTruck is $40K. The top of the line version is $70K.

If the current design stands, then it's just going to be bought by people who want a lifestyle vehicle and folks who don't really carry a lot of stuff, for whom rear loading is just fine.

or they have solar power at home to charge their car and are basically getting around for free, instead of sucking at the teat of gas and electric companies. It's the American way.

Perhaps. Other reasons people like my wife drive 3’s are that they performance sedans (0-60 in 3.5 for the performance model), starting each morning with a full tank of “gas”, the car technology (not the FSD stuff) is really great, and for all of this the cost per mile for us for electricity in $0.025 per mile (about 100 miles per gallon at the cost of gas here in Atlanta.

Last edited:
The base model CyberTruck is $40K. The top of the line version is $70K.

If the current design stands, then it's just going to be bought by people who want a lifestyle vehicle and folks who don't really carry a lot of stuff, for whom rear loading is just fine.

Maybe but I drive an older pickup that can easily reach over the side. I went shopping for a new one last year and the first thing I noticed was that all the 4wd ones were too tall to grab stuff out of the bed from the sides. It seems like the manufacturers are all making the trucks bigger and taller these days. They must be appealing to someone.

Maybe but I drive an older pickup that can easily reach over the side. I went shopping for a new one last year and the first thing I noticed was that all the 4wd ones were too tall to grab stuff out of the bed from the sides. It seems like the manufacturers are all making the trucks bigger and taller these days. They must be appealing to someone.
I drive a diesel 4x4 pickup, and yeah it's too high to reach in if things are at the bottom. But I can still toss and retrieve some things from the side. More importantly is side loading of large stuff using a forklift.

I agree 100%, because idiots like you will try to laugh without realizing the stock is the same price today as when the OP was made, thus making your money far underperform the market in that time.
Sucks to suck?

Made about as much as shorting it over the same time period.

I also love the video of the Cybertruck pulling an F150 up a hill in a tug of war.

Does no one notice that it's a BASE model F150 with a V6 non-turbo'd ecoboost in it? AND the Cybertruck got a rolling start and it's wheels are moving while the F150 is only on the brakes?

Have the Cybertruck do that again with the Raptor going full bore at the same time as the Cybertruck and let's see what happens.

I am admittedly interested in the Cybertruck as a truck owner myself.... I just hate how it looks and I worry how the charge will hold up when you're not on city/town streets or a high way and are driving up like old logging roads and shit. Couple that with barring carrying a generator in the truck that truck runs out of juice in those instances you're SOL.

Well GM and LG are 10 years late compared to Tesla and Panasonic. Even though there is cracks in the relationship it's still nearly 40 percent of the world's battery production. Eight million battery cells a day. GM is desperate they don't have any real leadership on EV's just look at the Bolt. Again they are trying to make up distance in the race and are already 10 years behind. Ford facing the same problem as well as all the other legacy manufacturers.

"
DETROIT – General Motors and LG Chem will invest up to $2.3 billion by 2023 to form a joint venture in Ohio for the production of battery cells for electric vehicles.

The companies plan to build a battery cell factory in the Lordstown area of northeast Ohio. Construction of the plant, which is expected to be among the largest in the world, is scheduled to begin in mid-2020.

The facility, according to GM, is projected to create 1,100 new jobs for the area, which lost thousands of jobs when the automaker shuttered its Lordstown assembly plant and sold it to an all-electric vehicle start-up"

Last edited:
I also love the video of the Cybertruck pulling an F150 up a hill in a tug of war.

Does no one notice that it's a BASE model F150 with a V6 non-turbo'd ecoboost in it? AND the Cybertruck got a rolling start and it's wheels are moving while the F150 is only on the brakes?

Have the Cybertruck do that again with the Raptor going full bore at the same time as the Cybertruck and let's see what happens.

I am admittedly interested in the Cybertruck as a truck owner myself.... I just hate how it looks and I worry how the charge will hold up when you're not on city/town streets or a high way and are driving up like old logging roads and shit. Couple that with barring carrying a generator in the truck that truck runs out of juice in those instances you're SOL.
Hummer v8 AWD studded tires vs a Tesla Model X studless tires and much smaller thread. Hummer also weighs 1100 lbs more then the Tesla.

Last edited:
Hummer v8 AWD studded tires vs a Tesla Model X studless tires and much smaller thread. Hummer also weighs 1100 lbs more then the Tesla.

Cool beans.

I'd still be interested on the battery charge rate when doing stuff like this:

Not necessarily the speed that Ken Block is doing (plus his truck's engine has been worked to Hell and back) but just driving up trails in a mountain that isn't plowed and shit/going through mud.

The Cybertruck would still win. Not because it is better but because it is heavier. The heavier truck will always win. The physics are straightforward. Both trucks have enough torque to spin the tires so that means that the max forward force that each vehicle can deliver is equal to the downward force (the vehicle weight in this case) over the drive wheels.

Cool beans.

I'd still be interested on the battery charge rate when doing stuff like this:

Not necessarily the speed that Ken Block is doing (plus his truck's engine has been worked to Hell and back) but just driving up trails in a mountain that isn't plowed and shit/going through mud.

The Model X is not really met for off roading. Bjorn just uses his Model X P90D to do various tests. Many in question because people throw out crazy ideas. The one with the Land cruiser the owner of a big Norwegian trucking company ask him to show what would happen. Kenny stuff includes the motor and transmission is heavily molded with new forged pistons and crankshaft as well as transmission improvements hardly a stock car for a guy who takes a group B Ford rally car for coffee in Utah.

I havent been so excited for a truck..... like ever. I made a deposit for the cybertruck within hours + full self driving ability. Dis gonna be good, it's a standout truck with standout features. I want a full self driving car, and tesla seems closest to making that happen.

The Cybertruck would still win. Not because it is better but because it is heavier. The heavier truck will always win. The physics are straightforward. Both trucks have enough torque to spin the tires so that means that the max forward force that each vehicle can deliver is equal to the downward force (the vehicle weight in this case) over the drive wheels.
Would it be more comprable to compare the Cybertruck to the Super Duty level of Ford or like the Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 or the big Rams then?

I haven't touched physics since I took AP Physics as a senior almost 10 years ago so....

The Model X is not really met for off roading. Bjorn just uses his Model X P90D to do various tests. Many in question because people throw out crazy ideas. The one with the Land cruiser the owner of a big Norwegian trucking company ask him to show what would happen.

Oh I know the Model X isn't an off road car, there's one someone in my office drives and you can tell it's a commuter car. And I've always been impressed with what Tesla's can do and how fast they get up to speed.

But again, and I know the vehicle for all intents and purposes even if I use it as a truck is meant to be used it's a bit impractical... this is really want I want to get in a couple years once my finances are more settles and shit:

And I just worry the Cybertruck batteries will drain at a super fast rate compared to say regular road driving. I know a gas engine will chew through gas faster too doing the same sorta stuff but it's way easier to drag a couple Jerry cans of fuel with you for a trail adventure day than it is to bring a generator.

It's also an instant fix with gas rather than sitting and waiting for it to charge.

the cybertruck looks awesome, people against the cybertruck will eventually go through the three phases of truth.

ridicule
opposition
self evident

as long as you can afford it and deal with an electric car, it will be the best truck on the market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back