Lawler is a tough fight for Askren

I'd rather see Askren debut against a returning Nick Diaz but that's a little too much to ask for. Lawler is going to be a stiff test though.

was expecting them to bring Condit out for this

This is a great matchup. Probably the best they could come up with. Lawler should be a very tough matchup for Askren. He has great Takedown defense, and standup.

We know Askren is a great wrestler, but now we get to see if he is good enough... If he beats Lawler,i think only Tyron can beat him at WW..

Talk about a brutal debut. I realize Lawler hasn't fought in a while, but he's known for having exceptional takedown defense.
You'd think the UFC would give him an easy fight against a striker, but then again the UFC and Askren don't exactly have the best history.

Who wins and how?

5 Years ago maybe...

I can see both winning this. I hope that Robbie can get another KO.

If Larkin can wrestle Robbie to death, then Askren sure as hell can.

30-27 decision Askren I think

Lawler is another one who has looked a shadow of himself since USADA. I think Rory was right about him.

USADA started testing in the UFC July 1, 2015.

Lawler beat Rory and Condit after that. Robbie was never some awesome killer, best winning run in his career his first 7 fights, best winning run since then 5 (1 NC) between the Mayhem and Shields losses and 5 between the Hendricks and Woodley losses. If Askren beats him it'll be the 3rd time he's had back to back loses.

Rory pre USADA 18-2 post USADA 2-3
Robbie pre USADA 20-10 (1NC) post USADA 3-2

So USADA seems to be hurting Rory even more than Robbie.

Lawler is in his mid 30's and is 28-12, his pre USADA record was hardly impressive so the USADA claims are almost certainly BS.

I'm pretty sure Lawler didn't look great against RDA because he tore his ACL in the first round

Lawler is the scariest guy in the UFC when he attacks (but those are only in 10-20 second bursts every other round)

Talk about a brutal debut. I realize Lawler hasn't fought in a while, but he's known for having exceptional takedown defense.

Have you seen RDA vs Colby? Askren doesn't need to takedown Lawler to beat him, he can pin Lawler and drain his stamina for an easy point win. Lawler hasn't fought a lot of wrestlers in his career and this will be a major test for him.

Actually Lawler's TDD is only 69% in UFC fights. That's at the low end of the spectrum for the WW class.

Realistically, the last top wrestler he beat in the UFC was Koscheck who was past his prime, going 2-2 into that fight.

He also did well against Ellenberger (who went into that fight coming off a loss). However Ellenberger went on to go 2-7 in his next 9, again clearly past his best days.

The two best prime wrestlers that Lawler has fought in his second run in the UFC is Woodley (who is coached by Askren) and Hendricks, both of which he lost to.

He has looked good stuffing shots against guys like Brown and Rory, but frankly they are nowhere near top wrestlers.

Robbie isn't a victim of USADA. It is more like how many those fight for your life moments can you have in your career? He took a lot of damage in during his run. Sometimes a streak for someone to become champ is just a short brief moment

Actually this is easiest fight for askren. Its post usada lawler= no chin, slow, predictable. Im a fan..but being real. And lawler def not top 5. Dana gifting askren a win here to build up his brand.

he injured his knee/leg (can't remember which) pretty early on in that fight.

i remember wishing his corner would stop it after round 1 or 2.
I kept thinking about the long term and wishing at that point that his coaches would save their fighters knee but nope....

This fight is the perfect example of the UFC not caring who wins as long as the victory over a name makes the guy look good.

I guess it's smart matchmaking, maybe because it is so cynical. But I miss the day when you'd give a guy like Askren a journeyman to squash and give Lawler an up-and-comer to either bounce back on or make a name off him.

I still cant get my head around how good Askren is. This fight will go a long way in helping me do that.

I would think that Dana foresees Robbie losing, as he won't want his new prospect coming in to a loss straight away, even if he has got him blocked on Twatter

just hope askren lose so he can shut up. how funny that would be

Robbie at this point is a name for the ufc’s New acquisition to lay n pray on and get some money out of him.

Robbies old, been through the wars already and Is coming off surgery.

Poor Robbie. But it is what it is.

Back