Crime Maine shooting - 18 dead

Or you know... how easily a known crazy person was able to obtain one...

Because people didn't do what they needed to. There was a failure to do what the had the legal right to do.

And they should have had the legal right to do more. Like forced commitment.

Yeah, man...don't mean to derail your pro gun-grabbing posts, but need to make a correction to the above:

Handguns are great for convenience/being discreet, but they're not the "best defense" against badguy(s) breaking into your domicile.

Carbines>Shotguns>Handguns

Also, while I'm here, It's not "AWAL"...it's AWOL. Absent Without Official Leave. And it's not always what you think. Shit, I've been AWOL once. If someone forgets to ensure that their leave was approved before traveling, technically they're AWOL. It doesn't mean they've become some deserter and are put up on the wall and shot. Sometimes it's just administrative issues.

Alright, you filthy civilians, carry on with your hot takes and scenarios. They're quite entertaining.
How is a carbine better than a shot gun at close quarters??

For home defense?
Round capacity, low recoil for follow up shots, round capacity, faster reload, round capacity, more mod'able for ergonomics/function (lights, optics, grips, etc), and last but not least....round capacity.

The best weapon is what you have available, though.

For home defense?
Round capacity, low recoil for follow up shots, round capacity, faster reload, round capacity, more mod'able for ergonomics/function (lights, optics, grips, etc), and last but not least....round capacity.

The best weapon is what you have available, though.
Anything that takes more than 7 rounds of 00 buckshot likely won't go down with a carbine

I don't understand how it took so fucking long to catch up with him. That really does not speak well of our police/detective capabilities as a nation
What do you expect? It's action vs reaction and the dude went and killed himself. Not exactly a trail to follow.

Yeah, I'm not limiting myself to 7 rounds of ANYTHING when there is potential for multiple moving targets and misses. Especially not something tube-fed. You do you, though.
See a shot gun blast will send most shit bags running. If you piss off Seal Team 6 I can see the need for a m4. I have both so I don't have to decide which one. I'll just duel wield.

See a shot gun blast will send most shit bags running. If you piss off Seal Team 6 I can see the need for a m4. I have both so I don't have to decide which one. I'll just duel wield.

"Seal Team 6", "M4", "Dual wield"?
First off, it's SEAL.

Second off, your belief that a semi-auto rifle/carbine should only be reserved for some high level combat defense tells me all I need to know about you and I should stop responding...but I can't help myself.

Thirdly, civilians don't own "M4s", including you, unless you have an approved NFA stamp.

For the record, I don't own a single weapon, certainly not pistols, certainly not shotguns, not a single bolt gun, and definitely not any semi-auto carbines. I've also never broken the law and have paid every cent of taxes ever owed on my income.

But if I did own firearms, I most certainly would never dual-wield two long guns in home defense.

Again, you do you, though.

Last edited:

It's not. Ideally you'd have a sub-carbine (MP5), but those are expensive, and highly regulated.

If you're by yourself a handgun (or preferably multiple handguns) is ideal. It's extremely hard to safely disarm someone of a handgun--even if you get a hand on it--not true for a long gun. Handguns also offer the advantage of being able to carry multiple on your person, so if you have a malfunction you are still in the fight.

Shotguns are great against a single target, but are slower to put on multiple targets--and the slower fire rate and size of the weapon make it more likely to be disarmed and have it turned against you.

Updating this thread with information.

Recently, familes of the victims recent gave testimony to a commission. The commission was established by Democratic Gov. Janet Mills and state Attorney General Aaron Frey to review events leading up to the shootings and make factual findings that can inform policy changes to prevent similar tragedies from happening again. You can read more about the independent commission.

I wonder what facts and recommendations will come out of this process. Is it true the police checked on him, but he refused to open the door and the police had no recourse other than to leave?

Some more information about the weeks before the shooting.

“The commission said it straight out — that they could have done it, should have done it,” said Walker, an Auburn City Council member. “What something like this really does is it brings up everything … It just breaks the heart all over again.”

“The commission said it straight out — that they could have done it, should have done it,” said Walker, an Auburn City Council member. “What something like this really does is it brings up everything … It just breaks the heart all over again.”
A reservist called a superior and said "I think he's gonna snap and do a mass shooting."

Yeah great.. totally normal way to live for "the wealthiest nation in the world"

Trading 10-20 innocent lives for one asshole with a gun every time
Someone could have had a gun to defend themselves?
If it was a carry state
That’s the country we live in

How would you interpret the commission's initial report?

Sufficient laws but we need better guidance and enforcement?

Or should the laws need more detail and less room for guidance?

I don't think the answer is across the board more legislation though

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back