Max hasn't faced a Div I wrestler since Bermudez

That's actually a very good point, surprised people don't talk about it more often. He also got outwrestled by Pillowfists McGregory ffs <Lmaoo>

Still, I think he's too big with too good boxing for Edgar, and should give poor little Frankie a beating.

He also had a broken foot

And who is scarier, Holloway or Khabib? Why does Edgar have to win for him to move down?

Because he's already beaten Holloway. He can spin it as fighting the "toughest opponent" by saying hes moving down to fight a ufc legend

Frankie's best chance is his wrestling and ground game. He should use that to wear Max down because when it comes to stand up, Max is highly favoured there. He has range, power and variety over Frankie. Great fight.

Young grasshopper,

Max has already moved past the phase of just figuring out TDD to stop a wrestler’s shot. You can see it in his development.

He makes the fight his by not allowing his hips to be in the position to even need to grab underhooks with his movement. He also has mastered both stances in fighting making it harder for guys to shoot in on his hips because he can hit you in different angles and distances to deter you, or that he may exit in either lateral motion.

It’s called Playing-My-Game and he makes people play his game like he’s going to make Frankie Strike with him. I was able to figure this out when I saw his early fight with some random white guy forget his name (pat Schiller or some shit).

He would throw combinations and move his hips away so Schiller had no shot like a matador does to a bull.

Something that Wonderboy has developed too. These guys are in their own class.

Lastly, Max is fucking fast with them hands and he even switches up his tempo mid fight like he did with Aldo.

Agreed with most of this. Holloway is next level GOAT. Frankie is amazing, and if he does beat Holloway and turn 145 into a rock-paper-scissors situ' with Aldo I wouldn't be totally shocked, but IMO Max is gonna figure Edgar out like he does everyone else and put him away, first time in the former lightweight Champ's entire fighting career. Either way, another super exciting FW title match with a great contender lined up down the pipe for afterwards. Best division in the sport IMO.

Not sure if he will take mad down

Max has great control of distance, footwork, timing and reach.
But still I don't see how Max avoids the TD. Look at the list of people Frankie has gotten to the mat.

And once he's down Frankie is keeping him there.
I think Max is in for a long night kinda like Yair.

Frankie was a D-1 wrestler like 20 years ago. He was a coach at Rutgers like 10 years ago. I hate to be the guy to bet against Frankie but he's old and coming off an injury. Probably like 20 of them. Vegas sees it my way. Holloway -225. Holloway UD or late TKO. And I don't even like Holloway I just predict this shit with scary accuracy.
Vegas doesn't see it any way they just see the casual noobs putting money on max and account for it

anyone who knows their shit knows that holloway should have won that fight, not to mention he's gotten about 10 x better.

holloway has, imo, the TDD to keep it standing, even better cardio than edgar, and is obviously better on the feet.

Yes, I know that Max has improved immeasurably, but that doesn't changed the fact that the last Div I wrestler he faced took him down four times and won a closely contested fight. It's also worth noting that Dennis Bermudez is similar in size to Edgar and he still closed the distance and got Max down—but yes, MAx has improved, but at the same time, Bermudez is no Frankie Edgar.

Also, Conor and Andre fili took Max down multiple times as well after that bermudez fight.

Summary: I'm not convinced that Max has improved his TDD enough yet to stop someone like Edgar.

Div I wrestler doesn't mean as much as you and others think it does. Its a solid foundation, but wrestling in MMA is a whole different ball game, and Max seems to have adjusted to it well.

The best wrester in MMA right now is probably GSP, and he doesn't have D1 credentials.

The only person Edgar has ever really had trouble taking down was Aldo.

Maybe BJ in the first fight but he didn't attempt many until the later stages of the fight when he found success.
Damn you're right. Frankie pretty much has taken down anyone else he's fought. I'd add Gray Maynard to that too bc he never really controlled Gray on the ground too much. Got takedowns, but Gray popped right back up

I think this fight is really tough for Edgar, Holloway is a long fighter and Edgar does have nice takedowns, but he is had trouble taking down fighters with sound boxing and footwork.

I think this fight is really tough for Edgar, Holloway is a long fighter and Edgar does have nice takedowns, but he is had trouble taking down fighters with sound boxing and footwork.

like who? aldo? Aldo has soccer legs and is a freak athlete

He's only ever had trouble taking Aldo down, but even then he made Aldo stop kicking because Aldo worried about the takedown.

Aldo had top three TDD in the history of the UFC, so it's hard to imagine that max has tdd like that. Max may be able to control the range, though.

You're biased, you're not seeing things clearly ... D-1 Wrestler.

I'm not biased, the title is correct, max hasn't fought any good wrestlers. Just like Aldo had not fought any elite strikers until conor

Frankie, never stops, never been stopped
16-5-1 against multiple generations of top level comp across 2 weight classes
Only lost to three people

Edgar gonna edgar!! andnew
Edgar gonna Edgar? Wtf does that even mean? Lose another unwarranted title shit?

yea i still feel like Edgar's gonna get finished for the first time.

Back