MINDHUNTER Series Discussion

The title is a bit cheesy... Mindhunter! Sounds like a 80s sci-fi starring Robert Zdar..
Now I'm frustrated because I pictured Robert Zdar as that Rutger Hauer knock off and now I can't think of the Rutger Hauer knockoff's name.

I was thinking of Richard Lynch:

latest

A face worthy of a creepier name, imo.

Last edited:
How can you hunt something as abstract as a mind?
You should watch the film Citizen X. The psychiatrist that wrote a profile on Andrei Chikatilo was spot on. Six years later when he was caught they couldn't get a confession out of him (which they needed to charge him) and so the detective decided to bring in this psychiatrist to talk to him....

From wikipedia:

On 29 November, at the request of Burakov and Fetisov, Dr. Alexandr Bukhanovsky, the psychiatrist who had written the 1985 psychological profile of the then-unknown killer, was invited to assist in the questioning of the suspect. Bukhanovsky read extracts from his 65-page psychological profile to Chikatilo.[143] Within two hours, Chikatilo burst into tears[144] and confessed to Bukhanovsky that he was indeed guilty of the crimes for which he had been arrested. After conversing into the evening, Bukhanovsky reported to Burakov and Fetisov that Chikatilo was ready to confess.[145]

Last edited:
Just watched the first 2 episodes and it's solid so far. Nothing mind blowing but worth watching some more.

You think there are possibly ten better directors today?

Fincher is in my personal Top 5 . . . maybe even Top 3 . . . so not really, no. But I don't think it's just a foregone conclusion that he's Top 10.

Let's see who his competition is. . .

Steven Spielberg
Martin Scorsese
Quentin Tarantino
Chris Nolan
James Cameron
Ridley Scott
Paul Thomas Anderson
Wes Anderson
Coen Bros (we'll count them as one)
Ron Howard
Guillermo Del Toro
Robert Zemeckis
Denis Villeneuve

While I would not agree in most cases, that's 13 guys who I would at least be willing to hear arguments for. There are probably a few more that aren't coming to mind right now.

Sure it did. They aren't literally hunting down a mind.

But if you want the boring answer, you figure out the characteristics of the person based on their actions, and then look for people with those characteristics.

Watched the pilot. Pretty good start. I like how it focuses less on the killers and more on the process of deconstructing them.

Either way I will give it 15 mins ..

I watched the first two episodes and enjoyed it. One big criticism I have to get out of the way. The lead character is the most boring character in the show. Bland, dull, naive, and just talks in an off-putting manner. All the surrounding characters are more interesting and it's hard to understand why they are drawn to hang around Holden. Like his girlfriend. She seems intelligent and interesting, they have an awkward first date where she talks circles around him and he says nothing impressive. I don't understand why they are together. It comes across as a failed first date and he never does anything to redeem himself.

This show is INCREDIBLE!

Its like Silence of the Lambs meets True Detective, but completely based in reality.

10/10

CGI head explosion already brings it down to a 7 for me

When I saw you that you rated it 10/10 I laughed

Watched the first two episodes and they are two of the most boring episodes of television I have ever seen in my life.

Protagonist sucks ass. NOTHING HAPPENS.

Another Netflix dud.

was pretty good overall, a little slow at times. main dude started getting full of himself towards the end, and the woman who was once just a consultant started to get the big britches as well.

The part about leaving out the sentence because it might offend some people was pathetic. Pathetic that people felt that way. and also pathetic in that as far as weve come since that time, I feel like time has reverted back to then. If he said that today, someone would be offended and butthurt.

Three eps in- really liking it. Fincher is a boss.

I watched the first two episodes and enjoyed it. One big criticism I have to get out of the way. The lead character is the most boring character in the show. Bland, dull, naive, and just talks in an off-putting manner. All the surrounding characters are more interesting and it's hard to understand why they are drawn to hang around Holden. Like his girlfriend. She seems intelligent and interesting, they have an awkward first date where she talks circles around him and he says nothing impressive. I don't understand why they are together. It comes across as a failed first date and he never does anything to redeem himself.

I'd say he comes off as naive and vanilla but also intelligent and not a douche. The mere fact that he's seemingly a nice guy and not completely jaded given his line of work seems to be something I can get on board with. Definitely a lot less interesting than Bill and the girlfriend, etc, but nothing particularly offputting about the character to me.

I see why Fincher wanted to make a series about this story...

his movies are ripe with process-deduction-investigation

Girl with Dragon Tattoo is fantastic BECAUSE of the way he shoots his investigation scenes

i don't know if the actor is bad or really bad, i only saw the first episode so maybe its character development but he took me out of the show. maybe its the writing too, its too contrived at times but im not sure if thats the writing or the acting that doesn't sell it as authentic.

i'll keep watching though because Fincher is one of my favorite directors and I'm very interested in these themes, i'm surprisedthat he didn't recast the lead guy though. maybe I have too high expectations for just the first show but i know that Fincher is a relentless perfectionist who shoots and reshoots endlessly so I'm surprised that these were the best takes they got.

I've lived in Santa Cruz and live in Sacramento and the attention to detail in the episodes that take place there is amazing. From cop cars and police uniforms to the logos of the TV channels, etc. it's all correct.

lol, 3 minutes into E1 and you've rated it a 7?

That one scene soured me on it right away

I started watching it cause of your comment on its quality and I had a slight chuckle about it

I will continue watching it tho

I see why Fincher wanted to make a series about this story...

his movies are ripe with process-deduction-investigation

Girl with Dragon Tattoo is fantastic BECAUSE of the way he shoots his investigation scenes

So true. Ditto for Zodiac.

That one scene soured me on it right away

I started watching it cause of your comment on its quality and I had a slight chuckle about it

I will continue watching it tho
It is the only cgi scene in the entire season, and it wasn't even terrible cgi.
The show it great.

The title is a bit cheesy... Mindhunter! Sounds like a 80s sci-fi starring Robert Zdar..

I keep thinking of this movie every time i hear the title. Can't help it even though it's a completely different word paired with hunter.

Nice. Me and my chick plan on starting in on watching it tonight. They couldn't have picked a better time to release this show imo. I also love how Netflix releases entire seasons in one shot so one can binge.
pic of chick watching mindhunter please asap

Back