NHL Offseason Discussion: Live From the KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't know what was wrong with the 1-8 format. It's fair. The teams in there deserve it. The bottom teams fight for a spot. Best faces worst, and so on. It was balanced.

Create rivalries? You can't manufacture that. If it happens, it happens.

It's not like Baseball, where they needed a widcard to spice things up, and expand the playoffs. The format in the NHL just seems arbitrary. There's still 16 teams making the playoffs, yes? What's the difference, other than punishing top seeded teams?

Last edited:
The current seeding format is complete bullshit. It unfairly punishes teams like the Jets/Bruins/TB for being great in good tough divisions. The first 2 rounds for either of these teams is a 100+ pt team then against one of the best teams in the league after (unless a massive 1st Rd upset happens).

Choosing the team you play is the fruitiest shit I've ever heard in my life

1v8 and so forth is the only logical way to do things

You guys realise the reason for the current playoff format is so that the NHL can do it's own half-assed version of a "bracket" right? I guarantee you the NHL saw the interest that March Madness brackets generate especially in social media and actually thought they would garner more attention in the playoffs by mimicking it. I don't think they realise the main reasons March Madness brackets are so popular are due to the nature of the single game elimination format plus the tournament lasts 1 month. Ain't nobody got time for a bracket that takes 3 months.

You guys realise the reason for the current playoff format is so that the NHL can do it's own half-assed version of a "bracket" right? I guarantee you the NHL saw the interest that March Madness brackets generate especially in social media and actually thought they would garner more attention in the playoffs by mimicking it. I don't think they realise the main reasons March Madness brackets are so popular are due to the nature of the single game elimination format plus the tournament lasts 1 month. Ain't nobody got time for a bracket that takes 3 months.

Wouldn't the 1-8 brackets be more akin to the NCAA model though? In the NCAA, doesn't the 16th seed face the #1 seed, and so forth?

Can confirm that in the NCAA the #1 seeds do in fact face the 16 seeds.

Holy shit, this Bruins game. Mrazek makes a ridiculous save then the Flyers head down and bury one two seconds later.

I think Kuch, Malkin, and McDavid will make it, there might be a couple 99/98s behind them.
Kuch needs to step it up.. a couple others might make it at this point if they have big games.

Wouldn't the 1-8 brackets be more akin to the NCAA model though? In the NCAA, doesn't the 16th seed face the #1 seed, and so forth?

Well the old 1-8 had re-seeding each round which negates the ability to do a traditional "bracket". I guess I forgot that one of the reasons for the current format is to try and create rivalries but rivalries can't be forced they either happen or they don't (as you mentioned).

The old system was the best though, the highest remaining seed should always be playing the lowest remaining seed. There needs to be some sort of reward for doing well in the regular season, having to play good teams in a wildcard position because they happen to be in a really good division isn't fair.

Last edited:
Holy shit, this Bruins game. Mrazek makes a ridiculous save then the Flyers head down and bury one two seconds later.
I needed a Philly win for my fantasy semi final game. Still might not pull out the win tho. Fucking Quick sucked this week.

Well the old 1-8 had re-seeding each round which negates the ability to do a traditional "bracket". I guess I forgot that one of the reasons for the current format is to try and create rivalries but rivalries can't be forced they either happen or they don't (as you mentioned).

The old system was the best though, the highest remaining seed should always be playing the lowest remaining seed. There needs to be some sort of reward for doing well in the regular season, having to play good teams in a wildcard position because they happen to be in a really good division isn't fair.
I think the Wild Card teams aren't the real problem. It's the 2/3 seed in each division who end up having to play each other even if they have way better records than the 2/3 teams in the other division. You got some bs under the old system with bad division winners *cough* Southeast *cough*, but I think it's time with two divisions to rethink it. They want rivalries, but those aren't made in the first round, unless something insane happens like Leafs/Bruins. Eliminating a good team in the first round because of matchmaking leads to less interesting rivalries later on, imo, and that's the stuff that matters.

Idk how the ducks won that.. but WOOOOOO

Last edited:
That was one hell of a 7th round pick.
I guess you could say the Kase...is closed.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Legends who will never get the respect they deserve

The Sedins were elite for years and at the top of their game were an unstoppable top line and a devastating power play unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonSable
Back