Overwatch Official Discussion, v2: ELO Hell (hello darkness my old friend)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got this the other day, easily one of the most fun games I've ever played. I'm doing well with D. VA, Mercy, Reinhardt and Zenyatta. Haven't used much of the other characters.

Jesus, last time I try competitive with my friend who just got this game....ended up losing two straight because he's only good with Soldier 76.

Jesus, last time I try competitive with my friend who just got this game....ended up losing two straight because he's only good with Soldier 76.

I play with a friend who will only use Soldier 76. He's good with him but he won't play another character at all unless someone takes S76, then he'll use Roadhog.

Jesus fuck is Symmetra a monster on PC or something? I played on PS4 and no one uses her, I get smashed by her regularly on PC.

Really enjoying this game. I wish it had a little more depth in the combat though. Maybe one more ability per character. Or perhaps alternative Ultimates for each character (like Symm has now). Or maybe a double-Ult, where if you build it up twice there's added effects. I get that the game is trying to be simple and fun, but a lil more depth wouldn't hurt.

Really enjoying this game. I wish it had a little more depth in the combat though. Maybe one more ability per character. Or perhaps alternative Ultimates for each character (like Symm has now). Or maybe a double-Ult, where if you build it up twice there's added effects. I get that the game is trying to be simple and fun, but a lil more depth wouldn't hurt.

You may want to try Battleborn. More abilities, the ability to upgrade your abilities (and you can choose two or three types of upgrades from the branches, so there will rarely be two players with the same upgrades), every character can sprint, and more abilities in general, plus more health and the health passively regenerates (not quickly though). This makes for matches that rely less on "I saw you first, so now you're dead" type moments. The ults also aren't instant win type things like some can be in Overwatch. There's nothing that will just insta-kill someone that gets hit by one.
Battleborn has its' problems, but it's not due to the gameplay and mainly to the publisher (the only real in game issues being the lack of a training room for characters, and you have to unlock characters through gameplay (though you unlock them in batches, not one at a time). Luckily you can try out characters in the game's story mode against A.I. though.

On a purely Overwatch note, I've been playing the game again for the first time in over a month. Turns out my internet was messed up for a while and it finally went out (There's a service box in your house with Fios and the battery in it was dying and finally died out, probably some other issues as well), had to get the service-guy over here and now my internet in the game is as smooth as butter.
Tried out new Symmetra, first in no limits and went 16-0 on Eichenwald, the opposing team never got past the bridge near their spawn. Went into quick play and got 12, 22-24, and 24 elims on my first day, which was a nice average for three matches there. Picking shield generator spots came as second nature to me, only had one found out at the last minute so far in about ten matches in both quick play and free for all with her; and that was by accident when a Junkrat was spamming in Numbani after the payload was getting near the second checkpoint, and that was on attack on my second day in free for all.
I still feel her charge shot should fire faster and hers and Zen's should hold until the button is released though, and I'd prefer it if her sentries had more than 1 health as well given Torb's turret pretty easily gets to 300 (especially now that his hammer whack is quicker, which was a great buff). Torb's new generation of armor is also a godsend. I've killed it with him on defense, especially on King's Row. I got something like 26 kills on the last point alone in one match and generated about the same number of armor packs there.
I never felt weak with 76 unless someone was in super close and was hopping around, so the buff doesn't make him feel any different to me.
D'Va probably has had one too many buffs. I think it should have been turn speed or 100 extra health, but not both.
Zarya, the beam buff is nice, I never really relied much on soaking up charge, I played her mainly to support my team's healer and attackers with shields and toss in bombs to press the enemy back from certain areas, I never felt her beam was consistently strong enough to rely on it, but I can certainly understand why people hate that 20% nerf when they are on more communicative teams so they know when their teammates are going into high damage output situations (and hence situations to gain more charge). The buff to the beam range and the constant damage though has me tearing through opposing tanks and others on the front line now, so I feel like the nerfs and buffs are pretty balanced for my play style now.

I played Battleborn beta. While I liked the MOBA/RPG elements, I didn't enjoy the gameplay or level design nearly as much as Overwatch.

What I'd like to see with Overwatch are just slight ability modifiers that would diversify gameplay and character selection. What I was thinking about is what if they had Speciality Skins that modified abilities. These are a few examples I made up. %'s are just made up and would obviously have to be adjusted;

Mercy - Pistoleer Skin - Decreases Damage Boost Ability by 50%, increases Pistol damage by 25%.

Junkrat - Suicide Skin - All explosives deal 25% increased damage, but also damage Junkrat.

Mei - Fire Skin - Ice Wall and Ice Block cooldown increased by 50%. Damage abilities increased by 25%.

D.Va - Stone Skin - Boosters cooldown doubled. Defense Matrix duration increased 100%.

Reinhardt - Carbon Fiber Skin - Barrier Field reduced 50%. Charge cooldown reduced 50%.

What I like about the Ability Mod Skin idea is I think it would increase character diversity on different maps. Since the abilities mods are incorporated in the skin, it also gives a visual indicator to your opponent. I think the slight ability mods would force people to adjust their strategy against different characters in different ways. For example if you see a Suicide Skin Junkrat, you know you need to be more careful around his grenades, but also know that if you get him in a confined area it's probably GG. Or if you come across a Carbon Fiber Rein you know his Barrier isn't going to hold as long, but that he's more likely to charge.

Playing again to get ranked, 5-1 and then get in a game with a teammate that bails.

Sweet, this'll help the ranking.

5-2.

got the zenyatta nutcracker skin in a loot box, it's sick --- that was the one thing I wanted the most out of the Christmas items

Semi-Finals / Finals of Overwatch MLG live on Youtube right now.

Some really good matches. Lots of switching and countering.

Last edited:
Wow....I got so lucky with a Lootbox tonight, got Winston and Zenyattas skin!

Damn that's kinda lame. Also I fucking suck ass with tanking classes besides Reinhardt rofl.

It's a good thing because a lot of classes in this game aren't about getting kills. Can't tell you how many times I've had a Reinhardt charge into the enemy trying to get kills leaving his team unshielded and to die. This one guy literally thought a battle Rein was a valid way to play the character when it's only him and Diva. While he's constantly talking shit to the other people on his team. After about 30 mins. I told him he needs to stop charging in because people are just discording him and focusing on him he needed to be much closer for his charge.

Wow....I got so lucky with a Lootbox tonight, got Winston and Zenyattas skin!
RF0pgXr.gif

Made it into Platinum.
Unfortunately, it was from Diamond. Definitely learned my lesson about playing comp on weekends.

Blizzard Jumped onto the LGBT train

http://www.craveonline.ca/entertainment/1184775-tracer-officially-overwatchs-first-lgbt-character

I dont really care but how long has the game been out? and now they are saying oh this character is gay now. Seems like a little bit of progressive pandering.

reminds me of this BS: http://kotaku.com/blizzard-removing-overwatch-butt-pose-after-fan-complai-1767613551

They remove this mildly sexual win pose just because some doofus on a forum wants Tracer to be a role model for his young daughter. You can't make this shit up --- if I was Blizzard I would have told the guy politely to fuck off - video game characters as role models, guy is delusional.

i don't get why they are making these comics and animations and crap without there being a story mode/campaign. the lack of story mode/campaign is one of the main reasons i didn't get this game on launch -- only got it a few weeks ago when it was on sale.

I got this with a gift certificate from Game Stop. I cannot get into this at all. I love/loved Titanfall 2, but this game isn't at all what I expected from a shooter. Am I missing something?

Blizzard Jumped onto the LGBT train

http://www.craveonline.ca/entertainment/1184775-tracer-officially-overwatchs-first-lgbt-character

I dont really care but how long has the game been out? and now they are saying oh this character is gay now. Seems like a little bit of progressive pandering.
The whole game's aesthetic has progressive pandering all over it. Think about it, "M-muh Omnic rights!"

Also look how the African city, Numbani, is a gleaming progressive metropolis where Omnic(robots) and human get along while King's Row in the UK looks like an oppressive slum and Eichenwald in Germany is a war torn ruin.

Torb and Junkrat are among my favorite characters because they're bigoted against the Omnic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back