Professional Wrestling Discussion Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bling Belts vs Customized Belts

When Stone Cold Steve Austin received the Smoking Skull Belt, it was effective on so many levels.

1) In my opinion, it looked cool and didn't stray too far from what a championship belt should look like.
2) It was given to an icon that defined an era of wrestling, was a huge draw and did so much for WWF when the fed still had competition. It acknowledged Austin's efforts after years of hard work.

When the Rock received the Brahma Bull Belt, I felt the same as the above although I didn't care much for the guy. You just have to respect what he did for the industry no matter how much his ring work blew (note: yeah it was clunky but he was in so many memorable matches).

Now with Edge and Cena getting custom belts, it bothers me because first of all, they look ridiculous in a sense that they are aimed at a market that think grills are the height of fashion. Another words, they just clash with me and are too era specific. The belts are geared towards a new teen market and alienate the traditional fan. It's a dangerous business sense, chasing fads rather than integrating tradition with a new era. Once the fad is gone, you just look dated and lost your original audience and respect.

But what REALLY grinds my gears is that the like of John freaking Cena and Edge have NOT earned the accolades that SCSA or the Rock have earned. The WWE are forcibly shoving how important these guys are to us when in fact they aren't. I say that because if SCSA and the Rock never existed, we'd be watching at totally different show right now. If Cena and Edge remained mid-carders, not much would be different. WWE are marching around telling us how great they are when they aren't. They are seriously diluting what we grew up watching what makes a champ a champ. It's not the WWE solely behind this way of thinking, we were forced to see Sean Stasiak and Chuck Pulumbo as the next Mr. Perfect and Lex Lugar before WCW tanked.

At least the belts don't have a green strap. Those were just flat out ugly.

peves said:
But what REALLY grinds my gears is that the like of John freaking Cena and Edge have NOT earned the accolades that SCSA or the Rock have earned. The WWE are forcibly shoving how important these guys are to us when in fact they aren't.

I think the way Cena's world title push has been handled indicates that the E wanted to make Cena into another Rock or Stone Cold. His spinner belt also carried over from the one he had from his US title days when he was perhaps the most popular wrestler on Smackdown. With Edge, however, they won't even give a legit win but they are willing to give him a custom belt. I don't get it.

I think part of the problem with Edge is that he probably wouldn't have had another title run if the E hadn't had to scramble to get the belt off of RVD after his drug bust. The sad fact is that there are only two guys on RAW right now capable of really carrying the title in true championship fashion and they are way past their primes and stuck rehashing an angle that has absolutely no meaning this time around.

I finally watched Raw from last night on the Tivo, here are some random thoughts,
Did it seem like Orton was kinda stiff with Jeff Hardy? There were a couple of times during the match that Orton didn't sell the move too well, or at least it looked that way to me. Secondly, PLEASE never allow Milena to directly address a crowd again, she looked completely overwhelmed on the mic and several times had to stop and regain her composure before screeching something else that was indecipherable, however Nitro did OK.
Oh and Gordon Solie is rolling over in his grave after watching DX completely break character to hawk a DVD (even if it was kinda funny)

ashida.kim said:
wow chris masters seriously slimmed down. thought it was phil baroni when he came out..

Thats what happens when you kick the juice. Now the funny part is going to be that the guy has generic power offense and pretty soon he'll be as thin as Edge, and still using the full nelson as his finish, despite his arms looking shriveled...as well as the rest of him.

Are they going to have Tatanka go on a 2 year losing streak, like they had him go on a 2 year winning streak back in 1991-93?

peves said:
Bling belts (Cena, Edge): Good or Bad?

I say bad, but a sign of the times. Bad times.

EDIT: Oh yeah...Discuss.
ted dibiase's million dollar belt is the best bling belt ever.

White Snake said:
Are they going to have Tatanka go on a 2 year losing streak, like they had him go on a 2 year winning streak back in 1991-93?
That was the worst period in WWF history! They shoved that Village People reject down our throats for ever. Thankfully, WCW was around to take all of Vince's "over the hill" wrestlers (who are still working).

did u all know anthoney pitbull 1 durate had a few NHB\mma FIGHTS in "99". he was 0 and 2

actually pitbull unmber 1 was Gary wolfe

pitbull 2 was durante, but yes durante was the one who died

God, no one remind me of Stasiak as "the new Curt Hennig." That was blasphemy. Palumbo as Luger was fine, since they both sucked, but Stasiak as Hennig...come on.

Bischoff's autobiography is due out sometime this fall and in conjunction with WWE. But I would doubt we see him on tv again anytime soon. Shame too, because he's a great on-air character. Much rather see him than any of the McMahons.

speaking of on air characters

i realized they never picked a new GM for raw, whatever happened to dusty?

THE BIG APPLE COMIC BOOK, ART, & TOY SHOW
Big Apple Conventions in a League of Their Own with guests Lori Petty, Bruno Sammartino, Jim Steranko and more!
September 16 & 17, 2006
Sat. & Sun 10am

For anyone who's never met Bruno its a real treat. He's a hell of a nice guy and isn't the bitter old man Vince & co would like you to believe. I was 8 years old at the time when I went to a sports convention and met him and Jake LaMotta. Jake was pretty reserved and quiet, but his son had died in a plane crash shortly before it, so that was understandable. Bruno however was very personable, and made the experience an unforgettable one.

On a side note, for any comic book fans out there, if you have the opportunity to meet Jim Steranko do it. His art in the 60's and 70's and innovative concepts in comics are awesome, especially the work he did on Nick Fury. He also tied in experiences from his former career as an escape artist which made Fury & co pretty interesting. The convention is worth checking out for those two guys alone.

BrooklynBomber said:
For anyone who's never met Bruno its a real treat. He's a hell of a nice guy and isn't the bitter old man Vince & co would like you to believe. I was 8 years old at the time when I went to a sports convention and met him and Jake LaMotta. Jake was pretty reserved and quiet, but his son had died in a plane crash shortly before it, so that was understandable. Bruno however was very personable, and made the experience an unforgettable one.

Haven't met him yet but a good friend of my girlfriend's family actually dated him way back. I'd love to reunite the two but I'm not too sure a comic convention will be the best place for a 78-yr-old lady in a wheel chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back