Rick and Morty season 3 discussion

just found this show and its awesome. anyone know where I can watch from season 1? I got netfix and prime and this show is not on there

just found this show and its awesome. anyone know where I can watch from season 1? I got netfix and prime and this show is not on there

You can find entire episodes and each season being streamed on Youtube 24/7.

Adult Swim hasn't been taking it down for some reason. Maybe they like the exposure? Who knows.

I liked it. Rick fighting the Prez and his henchmen was really good.

Pickle Rick is still GOAT of this season but there were good episodes.

You could also buy it on XBOX Store, there's only 3 seasons and only $15 I think each?

So, Ghostbusters aren't cool now? I don't remember signing THAT bill!

My favourite was probably tales from the citadel or Mortys mind blowers. Mortys mind blowers had me laughing so hard the entire episode, so good.

Okay, not going to lie, that was super disappointing. Easily the weakest episode of the entire series.

Just...wow. What a lackluster ending to the season.
What? That episode was incredible. It told us more about Rick than any episode in the past.

The 9th episode developing Beth was the weakest in the series history, IMO, but indeed, it was quite enlightening. It was interesting that we learned she was a little monster, and it made sense of why she is with Jerry. They were actually copacetic all along, and basically he is one of the only humans who is willing to endure the level of abuse that she dishes out at the hands of the people he loves. Really, politically, at this moment, it's not a popular truth to highlight, but it's true. Women are emotional abusers, too; in fact, if you look into domestic abuse, you'll often discover it's not as one-sided as society has often made these relationships out to be. The women are like Beth, but the men, unlike Jerry, are willing to hit back, but with a fist. I'm not saying this is the primary dynamic, but it is common if you review some literature on the topic.

So she and Jerry are a match. She's an emotional abuser, and she-- the woman-- is actually the one who is intimidated by a partner who is an equal intellectually, or in terms of capability. That's why she's with Jerry. She loves that he's weak, but that he'll continue to take it. The reason it works out is because nobody is getting hit in the face, but it's not a terribly healthy relationship. In fact, it may explain why she became a vet instead of a surgeon. She wanted to avoid a more competitive landscape of medicine where she might discover her true ceiling, or be forced to deal with other doctors (vets tend to work alone) where she was on equal footing.

Rick and Beth do not handle capable antagonism well. That became the basis for the 10th episode. Rick is every bit the egoistical asshole that the President is. If he can't have his way he runs away.

What? That episode was incredible. It told us more about Rick than any episode in the past.

The 9th episode developing Beth was the weakest in the series history, IMO, but indeed, it was quite enlightening. It was interesting that we learned she was a little monster, and it made sense of why she is with Jerry. They were actually copacetic all along, and basically he is one of the only humans who is willing to endure the level of abuse that she dishes out at the hands of the people he loves. Really, politically, at this moment, it's not a popular truth to highlight, but it's true. Women are emotional abusers, too; in fact, if you look into domestic abuse, you'll often discover it's not as one-sided as society has often made these relationships out to be. The women are like Beth, but the men, unlike Jerry, are willing to hit back, but with a fist. I'm not saying this is the primary dynamic, but it is common if you review some literature on the topic.

So she and Jerry are a match. She's an emotional abuser, and she-- the woman-- is actually the one who is intimidated by a partner who is an equal intellectually, or in terms of capability. That's why she's with Jerry. She loves that he's weak, but that he'll continue to take it. The reason it works out is because nobody is getting hit in the face, but it's not a terribly healthy relationship. In fact, it may explain why she became a vet instead of a surgeon. She wanted to avoid a more competitive landscape of medicine where she might discover her true ceiling, or be forced to deal with other doctors (vets tend to work alone) where she was on equal footing.

Rick and Beth do not handle capable antagonism well. That became the basis for the 10th episode. Rick is every bit the egoistical asshole that the President is. If he can't have his way he runs away.

We also found out that Rick is afraid of pirates.

Loved the episode but was hoping to see a little more of the evil morty who took over the citadel of Ricks. That felt like more of an end to the season than the last episode, which was kind of just the end of a two episode arc.

Ah well. Looking forward to more in the future. Show is getting hype. Now's not the time to slow down. Hopefully they get another quality season up quick.
I agree that it would've been smarter to end with "the ricklantis mixup" that episode was a masterpiece they could've have aired the episodes in a different order

I agree that it would've been smarter to end with "the ricklantis mixup" that episode was a masterpiece they could've have aired the episodes in a different order
Yeah, I actually think they could have shown the last two episodes before the Ricklantis Mixup, but Rick and Morty's dynamic would've been a bit off. Morty wasn't really keen on jumping into another adventure with Rick after finding out his family could get back together, so them getting mermaid puss would'nt have made as much sense. They could have moved some things around though, the ending to Ricklantis Mixup was a perfect season finale.

Either way, I guess next season it'll be more like season 1 but more streamlined :p They still have a bunch of things left open, like Tammy and PhoenixPerson, Evil Morty, etc. I like how they're continuously building this universe of characters and storylines.

I just hope it won't take them another two years to make ten more episodes. Atleast they acknowledge it in almost every episode. I liked the SP joke.

"Morty, South Park did this four years ago."
"They're fast."
"Or we're slow."

We also found out that Rick is afraid of pirates.
profound

i didnt love that episode as much as a lot of others did, but i agree as well that would have made for a much more epic ending.

this episode just felt like another episode

Jesus christ, I can't believe how much has gone over the heads of fans of the show, and the cracked logic behind criticism of season 3 in general.

AV club got it wrong. Reddit got it wrong. 89% of sherdog got it wrong. Twitter got it wrong.

First of all, let me say this:

If you do not watch or listen to the harmontown podcast, you have missed so many fucking references and parallels to the actual writer and his worldview, i promise, no I guarantee you will misread the show's nihilism and that will affect your opinions on the entire show and every. single. episode structure.

Minecraft references? Discussed on Harmontown. Anti-government authoritarian rhetoric, self-aware of its own flawed skepticism? Harmontown. Defiance of meta-narrative consistency? Harmontown. Expendable main characters? Fuck me, even the "tooth beast" from the latest Harmonquest show season 2? Deep callback to Spencer's improv reference on Harmontown. Jeff Davis' cameo from this season's "Simple Rick" is a Sam Elliot impression originating from an improv game in Harmontown where Dan would force Jeff to advertise random prompts in a Sam Elliot voice:

That's not to say a lot of plot and story elements aren't just products of the Rick/Morty writer's room, but well over two humdred 2 hr + live podcasts detailing the writer's improvisational story impulses and life philosophy, metered by a self-awareness that too much self-aware conviction can be unhealthy too, explains a fuckton of these idiot complaints swirling around the series and its characters.

Last edited:
People who think there is a hidden Obama commentary or critique splayed all over the season 3 finale are forgetting Dan's politics and his targeting of government beyond any one person's involvement. If you know anything about the writer, you'd know he doesn't like compartmentalizing all synthesis into any one person, he's all about Zeitgeist and popular opinion, and the dangers of crowd-sourcing our morality and decision-making.

The guy is post-structuralist at heart, anachronistic in philosophy, improvisational in training, cynical in framing all human competency, and none of those impulses are going to give you your "Evil Morty" boss battle for a season cap. You'd be ten times more likely to get a season finale that consists of 20 minutes straight of rick and morty eating a fucking sandwich and taking a nap if what you wanted to see more than anything in the world was a boss fight. As justin roiland's 15,000 improvised GVP podcast characters would say, "fuck you" because every single one of his inventions, without exception, pursues his anachronism alongside harmon. You don't get to see what you want to see, because that's what every single other show on television is for.

Rick isn't a "red-pill, by-any-means-necessary-troll-the-sensitive" self-satisfied genius, he's hurting from his awareness, in exact parallels to Dan. Dan sees bullshit in almost everything he puts his mind to, and it curses his ability to genuinely invest in those emotional high-notes. He'd rather undermine everything with heart or value to people, but going full-tilt in that direction too, makes him disgusted with its aloofness.

So he, like his titular character rick, frequently oscillates between giving zero shits and teleporting back to the scene to preserve what he wants at the very last minute.

It means he absolutely "un-wrings" the bells of his episodes despite the crying from AV club and reddit, because to commit to any one path will ruin his enjoyment. That same spirit of cynical vs salvation infuses real emotional moments of empathy and simultaneous indifference throughout his show's characterizations and plot points. Too much criticism of the show's "smart" deus ex machina and self-parody ignores that very real duality in the writer's philosophy.

TL;DR version:
Criticize nothing of the show's format or character arcs if you haven't heard 500 hours of the writer simultaneously self-deprecating and rebuilding his faith in humanity and story potentials.

Listen to the early harmontowns if you haven't seen anything from it. The latest shows are less about story structure given the changing weekly political climate, and won't illuminate as much about Harmon's writerly and philosophical instincts

Last edited:
Just listen to Dan's brilliant pivot from ranting about how much he hates teenagers to championing their every impulse under a capitalistic, iconographic public opinion

Back