Ronda Rousey: "If GSP Wasn't Good-Looking & Canadian He Would Be Unknown"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like GSP more if he was scary looking and not Canadian.

Man, I like her less every time I hear any quotes from her.

Most people I know think patriotism is just about being proud of your country, or happy to live in your country, or that they would prefer to live in Canada rather than any other country. True patriotism is absolute LOVE and devotion to your country. I have seen people kiss the ground in America and would absolutely be ready to die for the country for any reason. I don't think Canadians go that far.

Patriotism is being proud of your country etc.
It is defined as :love for or devotion to one's country

Canadians are patriotic they don't just think they are patriotic. Kissing the ground and wanting to die for your country might be taking it to the extreme. But it doesn't mean the more reasonable way of showing patriotism does not count

She was just making a point to counter how she is popular for here looks. She wasn't trying to really bash with that comment but when they taken parts of quotes like that and make them the headline/ thread title, people take it out of context.

How does this have 45 pages of responses, her point is moot. GSP has dominated so hard that looks/nationality aren't important.

Exactly.

But the sheer absurdity and ludicrousness of her statements regarding GSP would tend to inflame, and provoke knee-jerk responses from even the most reserved forum members; hence the number of pages in this thread.

I'd like to add my own knee-jerk response:

Ronda, if you aren't trolling and truly believe that shit, you're a damn fool.

GSP is one of the most accomplished MMA fighters of all time. He is top 3 all time in the sport easily. She is saying "He fights boring and gets tons of love for his looks and not his fights" GSP is not some pretty boy selling tickets he is an MMA legend.. When Ronda has been in the UFC for a while and actually won some fights she can run her mouth like this and not have the whole locker room giggle..

She's already beating the best in her division. She's also a highly accomplish Olympic athlete.

You don't have to like it, but you can't exactly tell her she's not allowed to say as she damn-well pleases.

Her point is valid. You don't have to like it, and I don't agree with the totality of her conclusion, but the point stands. You want to talk to her about how good looks are the reason she's getting anything? Point to an ugly star right now.

And lets not pretend the ferver of Canadian fanboyism is not part of what keeps GSP a big seller. Look at Fitch and look at him. They employ the same style. One gets very little in the way of supporter respect and the other does. If we're going to pretend it has to do with that one beat the other... then I believe in the Avengers as well.

How does this have 45 pages of responses, her point is moot. GSP has dominated so hard that looks/nationality aren't important.

Must be why Dom Cruz is as popular as GSP......... wait.

Most people I know think patriotism is just about being proud of your country, or happy to live in your country, or that they would prefer to live in Canada rather than any other country. True patriotism is absolute LOVE and devotion to your country. I have seen people kiss the ground in America and would absolutely be ready to die for the country for any reason. I don't think Canadians go that far.

After living abroad, and travelling a lot for the past 5 years I can tell you I am proud to be a Canadian. I say that only because i think it's a great place to live, not because i think the people are better than anyone. Also my grandfather was a scout in ww2, and was overseas himself for like 4 years. Very proud of him.

When it comes to fighters i see beyond the invisible lines that separate us though.

I was just addressing your claim that no Canadian cities come close to Chicago's diversity, which was just wrong. I didn't want to touch statements about gun violence, because that is obviously a silly thing to do in a thread about GSP's popularity... Pithy statements on MMA forums won't address that issue.

No matter. Dumb remarks lead to dumb threads.

Fair enough.

I looked up some stats pretty quickly, and was pretty wrong.

I'm still pretty shocked that less than half of people living in Toronto were born in Canada, that sounds insane.

She needs to STFU!! She has been trolling the MMA community for a year now!

Toronto has some pretty "Black" areas, like Jamaican neighborhoods and stuff. I'm not at all surprised by its diversity.

So does Montreal, in fact, I live in one.

Probably not because they have never supported WMMA, and Rousey appears to be popular enough to make that happen.

I hate just about everything she says because she has the composure of a twelve year old, but she sure can fight, and at the end of the day that's all I really care about concerning her.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I hate listening to her talk.

But whatever it takes to produce what she does I'll support.

she's trolling cuz she's confident she can handle whatever happens afterwards.

this gets me excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back