Seeing old friend can be very depressing

I'll try to give you a bit of advice; just be happy to see them. Don't get sad, don't think about their problems, don't worry how their life turned out, just be happy to see them. Be nice and non judgmental, that will help you get through these situations.

I guess I'm that guy. It hasn't been going well. Not going very well for most of the people I still keep track of either.

Life is a motherfucker

I have one I'm really worried about right now. He has told me before the only thing keeping him going is his job. Found out he just got fired for going to work intoxicated. He just had his second baby too. I think his wife left him

One of the top 3 hottest girls from my high school ended up fat and working at Subway. It wasn't even sad more like I couldn't compute.

Kind of a similar situation with a couple girls I was classmates with in high school. Decent looking girls, I'd say around an 8, but they were also really good students, sociable, and pretty well grounded. We didn't think; everyone just knew for sure that they'd do well and succeed in life. Somehow, it didn't work out that way, one of them is stuck as a restaurant waitress and the other bounced from one low wage job to another for years then just dropped off the face of the Earth, no one knows what happened to her.

At my age, the biggest thing I see isn't that they've fallen off or hit rock bottom, but having to come to term with being completely average or worse, like being an entry level supervisor of a retail store.

I guess I'm that guy. It hasn't been going well. Not going very well for most of the people I still keep track of either.

Life is a motherfucker

The world can be ruthless. It’s also completely unpredictable and 100% unfair. Unless something really bad happens to you as a kid, you have no idea how brutal life can be.

That being said, a lot of people are very fortunate. They live great lives, even though - like everyone else - they suffer at times. I’m very lucky, but I’m also really sad at times, for no particular reason. It would be nice to be able to appreciate every day as if it were the first day you found out you’ve been completely cured of a cancer that should have given you only a few months to live.

a girl that was a pretty good friend of mine, and we used to bang on occasion turned into a legit cat lady. when i first saw her on facebook a few years ago, i legit thought it was a picture of her mother. she looks 60

The world can be ruthless. It’s also completely unpredictable and 100% unfair. Unless something really bad happens to you as a kid, you have no idea how brutal life can be.

That being said, a lot of people are very fortunate. They live great lives, even though - like everyone else - they suffer at times. I’m very lucky, but I’m also really sad at times, for no particular reason. It would be nice to be able to appreciate every day as if it were the first day you found out you’ve been completely cured of a cancer that should have given you only a few months to live.

Circumstances are so ridiculously unequal, it's hard to take life seriously sometimes. Some people I know grew up healthy, middle class, both parents. Sent off to college right after high school, given a car. Now things are going well and they act as if it's all because of their effort, when all they did was walk down the obvious path in front of them.

Then there are people like me, and most of the people I've known. Weren't really raised by anyone, no mentors, nobody making an investment in them. Out the door at eighteen and straight into dead end jobs. Mental/emotional problems they cope with by just drinking and doing drugs.

Don't say any of that as an excuse, but it makes your learning curve higher. You waste more time, get in more trouble, meet more stupid people that in your mind validate living your life in a stupid way.

The more resources you deprive a person of, the harder they have to work and the more exceptional they have to be to be as successful as the next guy. And most people aren't exceptional at all.

Life is a motherfucker
Me too. The successful ones tend to be too busy. I'm busy hiding.

Me too. The successful ones tend to be too busy. I'm busy hiding.
<WellThere>

Tbh I'd rather not keep up with a lot of people. It is embarrassing when you don't talk to people for a while, then you run into them and they ask how youre doing.

Who, me? Uh, well, still bad I guess. Really bad. Oh yeah, you know, sure it's going to get better any day now.

After a while you just want them to save the pep talks or well wishes.

<WellThere>

Tbh I'd rather not keep up with a lot of people. It is embarrassing when you don't talk to people for a while, then you run into them and they ask how youre doing.

Who, me? Uh, well, still bad I guess. Really bad. Oh yeah, you know, sure it's going to get better any day now.

After a while you just want them to save the pep talks or well wishes.
I hear ya. I just smile and say everything is fine instead of sounding like a bitch on why people screwed me over a promotion/position that I was gunning for.

I hear ya. I just smile and say everything is fine instead of sounding like a bitch on why people screwed me over a promotion/position that I was gunning for.
Yeah I don't really tell anyone the truth anymore. Things are.... good.

I don’t associate with even a single person from high school anymore. They’re all dead, in jail or leeches. The people I ran with anyways.

If Bourdains suicide has taughte anything it's that you could have the most perfect life, objectivley speaking and still be absolutely miserable on the inside.

We all know fortune doesn't always equate to happiness but it's the little things that matter. Well what if you were someone like Bourdain who pretty much had it all. Ate the best food, was well respected internationally, dating a hot younger Italian broad and had all that fortune to boot and were miserable after all that.

The human condition has a level of suffering that we will never understand.
Bourdain ate shit food in shit countries.

Circumstances are so ridiculously unequal, it's hard to take life seriously sometimes. Some people I know grew up healthy, middle class, both parents. Sent off to college right after high school, given a car. Now things are going well and they act as if it's all because of their effort, when all they did was walk down the obvious path in front of them.

Then there are people like me, and most of the people I've known. Weren't really raised by anyone, no mentors, nobody making an investment in them. Out the door at eighteen and straight into dead end jobs. Mental/emotional problems they cope with by just drinking and doing drugs.

Don't say any of that as an excuse, but it makes your learning curve higher. You waste more time, get in more trouble, meet more stupid people that in your mind validate living your life in a stupid way.

The more resources you deprive a person of, the harder they have to work and the more exceptional they have to be to be as successful as the next guy. And most people aren't exceptional at all.

A lot of ignorant, self-righteous A holes would say you’re just being a baby, and need to stop making excuses. Get off your ass and take responsibility for your own life. You get what you put in.

But I’m not one of those A holes. I agree with you 100%. The other thing to remember too, is that a lot of happiness has to do with your brain’s hardwiring. There are people who are as happy as a fly on dogshit, and by anyone else’s calculation, their lives appear to be a cesspool of utter misery.

If there is an eventual light at the end of the tunnel, the key to seeing it may lie in convincing your mind to believe that things are actually pretty good.

Life is a motherfucker

This explains a lot of your posts context.

Back