Shavkat’s fight with Gastelum makes no sense?

Weak division when Kevin gets a shot at him

Gastelum's problem isn't that he was fighting big guys............ Gastelum's problem is that he has not improved at all from what he was 8 years ago and almost everyone has figured him out by now. He is a one dimensional fighter who is good at getting into the pocket and countering you, but that is all he can do. Moving down the weight class only makes his job tougher cause his speed advantage now disappears. Gastelum is no faster than Neal, and Neal has a far more developed striking game than him.
I disagree I think Kelvin easily beats neal

Shavkat probably cant get a fight with top contenders and Kelvin can go the distance in a fire fight. It's a win- win for Shavkat and the UFC.

I was going to say they are just slow cooking the quieter Shavkhat compared to shoving the loud Khamzat in the spotlight immediately.

But since users seem confident Shav asked for Kelvin then I'd say it's probably hard to get a fight due to his poor popularity to skill ratio. Kelvin is always game and is a southpaw like Neal. I expect him to take notes from that fight, maybe Neal did all the leg work for Kelvin who knows. Fun fight

One of the smartest thing UFC did was to make a ranking system. It gives fans a talking point and something to fight over.

Its a great fight. Gastelum looked excellent in his last fight.

it's a win-win fight for the U-Fight-Cheap league. Shavkat gets another win over a "name" opponent. Or, one of their old stars gets right back into the hype with a win over one of the most talented in the division.

after watching Shavka's last fight dude has some major holes in his game ....I am for real by saying Kevin could pull this off.
agree, the entire time during the neal fight and i was thinking how shavkat had literally zero head movement. doesnt move laterally. just presses forward taking it lol.

They fight for money...so the more fights without the biggest risks i guess he will take them, also not many would be willing to fight him.

This is a fun fight. Geoff Neal really showed how porous Shavkat's striking defense is. Guy blocked a lotta punches with his face. Gastelum is a bad guy to do that against. Should be a good fight.

Wish Shavkat would get someone ranked high up at WW and that can actually make weight. And someone that isn't 2 in their last 7.

Agreed, but none of those guys want to fight him.
He actually wanted this fight though so I think he's trying to stay active.

Its a great test, Gastelum has the best chin in UFC with Vettori, he has never been knocked our or finished with strikes.. he has very fast hands, great hand speed and good wrestling. Fought way better guys as well, its a good matchup and Gastelum back at WW is great, his hand speed with his chin will make it interesting and I think he will win a close decision.

The best guy Shavkat has fought is Neal, and that was back and forth and Neal hurt him at times. He is still very untested. Gastelum has fought so many top fighters in WW and MW.

I realize that everyone who won a few fights is the new greatest p4p fighter ever these days, so I expect the hyperbole on everyone, its cute lol.. but anyways its a good matchup

Gastelum is just as good as a top five win at WW. Everyone wins.

It seems like a favor to Kelvin but it's really just a showcase for Shaved Kat. He gets a nice clean finish in an easy matchup over "the guy that went to war with Izzy"

Gastelum has held his own against multiple middleweight champions.

It would be seen as a legit win for Shavkat.

Shavkat might see it as, “this guy will be a contender in the division at some point, might as well fight him now while he’s still figuring out the weight cut, maybe even get a shot at 20% of his purse if he misses weight.”

Its a great test, Gastelum has the best chin in UFC with Vettori, he has never been knocked our or finished with strikes.. he has very fast hands, great hand speed and good wrestling. Fought way better guys as well, its a good matchup and Gastelum back at WW is great, his hand speed with his chin will make it interesting and I think he will win a close decision.

The best guy Shavkat has fought is Neal, and that was back and forth and Neal hurt him at times. He is still very untested. Gastelum has fought so many top fighters in WW and MW.

I realize that everyone who won a few fights is the new greatest p4p fighter ever these days, so I expect the hyperbole on everyone, its cute lol.. but anyways its a good matchup
Hate to break it to you but Magny is Shavkat's best win not Neal. But who has Kelvin beat that's worthy of respect? Curtis and Jacare both of which he should have lost (and he knows it lol). Washed up short notice Bisping and Ian fucking Heinisch? Lmfao

It will be incredible if Shavkat puts away Kelvin.

Shavkat became my favorite UFC fighter lately.

Back