Smartphone Handgun in Production, Shipping to Dealers

Well the combination of the unusual shape, belt clip built on, the light/laser built into the frame, sort of the whole package. It certainly stands out in a firearm case compared to everything else. There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just that it was hyped more than any other compact .380 for minor cosmetic differences. That’s why I believe the term “gimmicky” fits.

Edit: I consider it to be sort of like the Kimber Saphire. It was always advertised when we got one in, placed front and center, and showed off. There wasn’t anything all that revolutionary about it, it’s just blue. That’s the only difference. It was hyped, though, because it looked unusual, thus it was a gimmick to draw people’s eyes, and then you could sell them whatever.

Fair enough . . . although I do think calling a gun gimmicky for including accessories as part of the design that folks would likely add later to be a stretch. I guess the shape could be gimmicky. The belt clip isn't a big deal to me either. I have a similar clip that I can add to an LC9.

Fair enough . . . although I do think calling a gun gimmicky for including accessories as part of the design that folks would likely add later to be a stretch. I guess the shape could be gimmicky. The belt clip isn't a big deal to me either. I have a similar clip that I can add to an LC9.
It’s not so much that adding accessories in and of itself is a gimmick, the M&P Shields can come right out of the box with a crimson trace laser, it’s that it was so heavily hyped that it was built right into the frame. It’s really not any different than the crimson trace, but Taurus used it heavily in its marketing to get people hyped up. It’s more about the marketing, less about the product itself.

Back