Tennis or Basketball - Which sport is tougher and more physically demanding to your body?

Which sport is tougher and more physical demanding to your body?

• Total voters
If a teammate is called in to double team, that teammate has increased his own workload. Because teammates exchange roles for any given play. Meaning, the guy who was helped with later help with a play. That "help" didn't come from the ether. The helped need a helper.

Math is hard.
lol how many times have i seen doubl team player kick the ball to open player guy that was double teaming just stands there so please bs about how hard nba players work to somebody else

mentally tennis is on another level. more demanding physical? No idea. I have played Tennis for 20 years, i played some basketball once in a while in school and i box since 7 years. in terms of physically demanding Boxing >>>>Tennis/Basketball They are both not THAT demanding.

Tennis is still a rich person's sport. The talent pool is so small that it never really gathers A Level athletes.
Lol, great logic: Since real football (not american rugby) has a deeper talent pool than all other sports combined, I guess A level athletes are only found in there and the rest are what's left.

Last edited:
Lol, great logic: Since real football (not american rugby) has a deeper talent pool than all other sports combined, I guess A level athletes are only found in there and the rest are what's left.

If tennis was as accessible as other sports, it would have more A level athletes. Soccer has more genetic outliers likely than a lot of sports.

1v1 is just a different type of sport. getting beatdown in front of a crowd where you have no shot at winning must do a number on your ego.

in pro bball you have outs when you getting busted up. you can get benched, subbed or just switched on a weaker player.

this was tough to call so im gonna give it a TIE. good question tho OP

If tennis was as accessible as other sports, it would have more A level athletes. Soccer has more genetic outliers likely than a lot of sports.

Tennis is more accessible than you think tbh. It's not golf. Before this pickleball nonsense most parks had a tennis court and most places that was free. Buying a racket and some balls isn't that expensive.

Tennis is perceived as exclusive because in the old day players didn't make any money and only aristocrats could afford not to get paid. It wasn't super expensive.

Tennis is more accessible than you think tbh. It's not golf. Before this pickleball nonsense most parks had a tennis court and most places that was free. Buying a racket and some balls isn't that expensive.

Tennis is perceived as exclusive because in the old day players didn't make any money and only aristocrats could afford not to get paid. It wasn't super expensive.
The guy is just talking out of his ass. Tennis is pretty unexpensive. What is expensive, however, is the coaching you need and the relatively high expenses for turning pro and reaching a high level... If you're not super wealthy you might need to be spotted and sponsored/ getting some kind of grant to further advance. But this happens in most competitive individual sports. There's a guy from my hometown my age (name's Galo Blanco), whom I've seen around plenty of times. Plain middle class like me. Guy devoted himself to tennis from an early age. When 15, and after winning couple of tournaments, was sent to a high performance institute run by the Spanish "Consejo Superior de Deportes" and made it to #40 ATP ranking at one time and after retiring helped coaching guys like Raonic, Feliciano López or Andrey Rublev.

Last edited:
I went with tennis. But motocross is the most physically demanding sport in the world, followed by Soccer.

The guy is just talking out of his ass. Tennis is pretty unexpensive. What is expensive, however, is the coaching you need and the relatively high expenses for turning pro and reaching a high level... If you're not super wealthy you might need to be spotted and sponsored/ getting some kind of grant to further advance. But this happens in most competitive individual sports. There's a guy from my hometown my age (name's Galo Blanco), whom I've seen around plenty of times. Plain middle class like me. Guy devoted himself to tennis from an early age. When 15, and after winning couple of tournaments, was sent to a high performance institute run by the Spanish "Consejo Superior de Deportes" and made it to #40 ATP ranking at one time and after retiring helped coaching guys like Raonic, Feliciano López or Andrey Rublev.

I'm not educated on this matter(I grew up in Queens where tennis resources were abundant I even went to summer camp at the USTA) but in the US wouldn't the high school and college system provide the exposure for the kids who couldn't go to any of these "academies" like it does for most sports? If someone was good at tennis wouldn't they play in high school go to college etc?

I realize as I typed this that a college graduate is actually pretty old for tennis and that whole timeline doesn't really work out.

I'm not educated on this matter(I grew up in Queens where tennis resources were abundant I even went to summer camp at the USTA) but in the US wouldn't the high school and college system provide the exposure for the kids who couldn't go to any of these "academies" like it does for most sports? If someone was good at tennis wouldn't they play in high school go to college etc?

I realize as I typed this that a college graduate is actually pretty old for tennis and that whole timeline doesn't really work out.

If someone is extremely good then they will usually be playing ITF juniors in their high school years and then futures, challengers etc to go pro. They also typically have financial support from national federations etc and it's pretty clear they'll be trying to turn pro as soon as possible. Playing in high school/college doesn't do anything for you in terms of trying to get ATP points.

It's not so much about college graduates being too old, it's just that the best talent has no reason to go down that road. The college route isn't terrible though, there are still quite a few players on the tour that played in college. You can get a decent education on a free ride while still playing at a high level and then can give the tour a shot once you're finished.

1v1 is just a different type of sport. getting beatdown in front of a crowd where you have no shot at winning must do a number on your ego.

in pro bball you have outs when you getting busted up. you can get benched, subbed or just switched on a weaker player.

this was tough to call so im gonna give it a TIE. good question tho OP

In tennis you can "retire".

Tough question.

I played tennis in HS, its an incredibly taxing sport, but I still have to go with basketball simply because your opponent can be physical with you. In tennis its just you alone on your side of the court. Still requires a ton of endurance, but at the end of the day its just you running around on your own, whereas in basketball you can get physically bullied by whoever you're playing against.

Tennis is definitely more mentally demanding though, you are alone out there and when you start to lose, its entirely on you to find the motivation to stay in the match.

No sport is more demanding mentally and physically in a total addition more than tennis i would guess. Those long wimbledon finals that are so even that they go on for 3-4 hours is a pain to watch if you support a player and i can't even imagine how they are to play. The ruleset with games and tie-breaks just adds to this.

No sport is more demanding mentally and physically in a total addition more than tennis i would guess. Those long wimbledon finals that are so even that they go on for 3-4 hours is a pain to watch if you support a player and i can't even imagine how they are to play. The ruleset with games and tie-breaks just adds to this.
LOL, the Ironman called. Told the Wimbledon to holds its beer.

7 1/2 hours to 17 hour duration.

However it is worth noting that most tennis matches even for men are best of 3 and Wimbledon doesn't allow 5 set tiebreaks. Given that Grass tends to have the best servers getting a break when your exhausted is very very hard.

Played pro ball and state tennis. Tennis has the extremes you can blow someone off the court and hardly break a sweat (or get murdered yourself) and the game is over. Or have a 4hr war and you are fucked for days.

For an average high level game of both basketball is more demanding assuming you are going all out on defence. You have to handle other players and refs being dickheads too, not just some ponce on the other side of the net or sitting in his tower jacking off

LOL, the Ironman called. Told the Wimbledon to holds its beer.

7 1/2 hours to 17 hour duration.

Ironman isn't really a sport though but yeah there are of course "sports" that are more demanding than tennis. Wrestling seems quite demanding and gymnastics, or free climbing mountains (you make a mistake and you die and your muscles needs to work all the time)

Physically demanding is hard to define. Some of those norwegian cross-country skiers are also extreme, they push their bodies to the maximum. Axtually alot of condition/cardio sports are as physically demanding as it possible can be since those who compete always pushing their maximum physical abilities.

It's easier if you add mentallity to it aswell and then i think Tennis is really demanding on your body. Especially those long grand-slam finals, 50000 watching and it is you against probably your rival competing in total silence and it is so delicate moves in tennis that just a little bit nervousness or stiffnes will make you miss the shots.

Triathlons aren't a sport. Now I've heard it all.

Just about every club or park that I've been to with tennis courts, private or public, the people I most commonly see playing tennis are old ladies. Meanwhile, when it comes to mere recreational basketball, not even the competitive sort, whether at indoor gyms or outdoors on blacktops, I rarely see more than one 'old guy' making runs if there is any old guy at all.

There's a reason for that.

Incidence of injuries in college sport:

i1062-6050-42-2-311-f05.jpg

As one of these studies authors' infers, there is a clear correlation between contact and injury. That's why sports like football, combat sports, rugby, hockey, basketball, and soccer are the sports with the highest rate of injury incidence no matter what the study is, and its methodology. Meanwhile, tennis is always near the very bottom. Incredibly low rate of injury. Just not that hard on the body.

Back