Tennis or Basketball - Which sport is tougher and more physically demanding to your body?

Which sport is tougher and more physical demanding to your body?

• Total voters
Last summer, I joined a pickleball tournament with friends, thinking it'd be a breeze. Boy, was I wrong! The quick lateral movements and constant paddle swings left my muscles sore for days. It's a blast, but don't underestimate its physicality!
lol it’s a sport for those who aren’t good enough to succeed at tennis or geriatrics.

lol it’s a sport for those who aren’t good enough to succeed at tennis or geriatrics.
As a former tennis player id like to think I'd destroy at pickleball.

However I am kind of old and also think I could pick up a tennis racket and smoke a backhand past anybody ITT after decades so....

As a former tennis player id like to think I'd destroy at pickleball.

However I am kind of old and also think I could pick up a tennis racket and smoke a backhand past anybody ITT after decades so....
If you were halfway decent at volleying, you would dominate. Look at Jack Sock…he recently retired from tennis just last year and was playing pickleball for fun and now look lmao. Beating the 3rd and 4th ranked player already.

You just making his point dummy. If picketball is what failed tennis players are what physicly and mentaly does it take to be pro elite tennis player

Tennis requires explosive movements, agility, and endurance, while basketball demands strength, coordination, and constant movement on the court. It ultimately depends on the individual's preference and physical abilities. If you're interested in exploring another dynamic sport, you might enjoy learning how to play ultimate frisbee! Check out this guide for some helpful tips: https://playultimatefrisbee.com/how-to-guides.

Last edited:
BBall due to physical contact

That’s not a good measure. There is zero contact in a triathalon yet that is more physical demanding.
It's as fair a measure as anything, and the OP didn't just ask which was more physically demanding, as vaguely interpreted as that phrase could validly be interpreted, but also "tougher". Also validly interpreted many ways, but toughness is a term we usually associate with the quality of enduring physical trauma inflicted on the body, including violence. This is what differentiates it from endurance itself, from stamina, or even from grit.

And, as I've already pointed out in this thread, tennis has a very low rate of injury, and involves virtually no trauma to the body beyond the gruel of the length of its matches. The pounding of the joints on the hard courts doesn't come close to the trauma the body endures from the same thing in basketball due to the verticality of basketball combined with the nature of gravity. Really, the most brutal thing endured in professional tennis that isn't in professional basketball is the sun.

It's as fair a measure as anything, and the OP didn't just ask which was more physically demanding, as vaguely interpreted as that phrase could validly be interpreted, but also "tougher". Also validly interpreted many ways, but toughness is a term we usually associate with the quality of enduring physical trauma inflicted on the body, including violence. This is what differentiates it from endurance itself, from stamina, or even from grit.

And, as I've already pointed out in this thread, tennis has a very low rate of injury, and involves virtually no trauma to the body beyond the gruel of the length of its matches. The pounding of the joints on the hard courts doesn't come close to the trauma the body endures from the same thing in basketball due to the verticality of basketball combined with the nature of gravity. Really, the most brutal thing endured in professional tennis that isn't in professional basketball is the sun.
I responded to a very vague statement with the same type of response. My point still stands and I was one of the first responses in this thread so I’m well aware of what the topic of this thread is about.

I responded to a very vague statement with the same type of response. My point still stands and I was one of the first responses in this thread so I’m well aware of what the topic of this thread is about.
The statement you just responded to wasn't vague. That poster said basketball because it is a contact sport. That's very specific and concrete.

I explained why the reason he chose basketball was a valid interpretation of the thread's question, and for a response to it.

If you want me to address your point more specifically, I'd argue this. Are wrestling, boxing, MMA or any other combat sports "tougher" or "more demanding on the body" than a Triathlon? After all, just as a basketball game doesn't last as long as a tennis match, they don't last as long as a triathlon. In fact, they typically don't even last as long as cross-country competitions or the longer runs in Track & Field (the WR in the 10KM is 26:11.00 meaning even as ran by the fastest man in history the race lasts longer than the compiled round-length of an MMA main event or championship fight).

So is that a reliable measure? Is that what this is about? The length of the competition? Calories burned? Because, if so, every wrestler in high school and college across the USA needs to be told he's more of a sissy than the kids running the 2-mile event on the track team. Those track runners are in a "tougher", more "physically demanding" sport.

The statement you just responded to wasn't vague. That poster said basketball because it is a contact sport. That's very specific and concrete.

I explained why the reason he chose basketball was a valid interpretation of the thread's question, and for a response to it.

If you want me to address your point more specifically, I'd argue this. Are wrestling, boxing, MMA or any other combat sports "tougher" or "more demanding on the body" than a Triathlon? After all, just as a basketball game doesn't last as long as a tennis match, they don't last as long as a triathlon. In fact, they typically don't even last as long as cross-country competitions or the longer runs in Track & Field (the WR in the 10KM is 26:11.00 meaning even as ran by the fastest man in history the race lasts longer than the compiled round-length of an MMA main event or championship fight).

So is that a reliable measure? Is that what this is about? The length of the competition? Calories burned? Because, if so, every wrestler in high school and college across the USA needs to be told he's more of a sissy than the kids running the 2-mile event on the track team. Those track runners are in a "tougher", more "physically demanding" sport.
Lmao the point went way over your head. You are continuously saying it is more complicated than a simple statement and the guy literally said 5 words with zero explanation or context. Doesn’t get more vague than that.

If you want to see my opinion on this topic look at page 1. Not wasting time explaining again.

Lmao the point went way over your head. You are continuously saying it is more complicated than a simple statement and the guy literally said 5 words with zero explanation or context. Doesn’t get more vague than that.

If you want to see my opinion on this topic look at page 1. Not wasting time explaining again.
Quite obviously nothing has gone over my head. I've read your posts.

I'm addressing this simple point, here. His argument for physical contact is a simple, straightforward one. You're wrong. It is a good measure. There are good arguments to the contrary, and definitely many that complicate considerations, but it is a good measuring stick.

Quite obviously nothing has gone over my head. I've read your posts.

I'm addressing this simple point, here. His argument for physical contact is a simple, straightforward one. You're wrong. It is a good measure. There are good arguments to the contrary, and definitely many that complicate considerations, but it is a good measuring stick.
I’m not wrong at all. I can do what he did and say “tennis because it’s played on tougher surfaces.” And not explain my reasoning. I’d say the same thing that it’s a vague statement and not a good measure on its own. Notice I never said that he was wrong, just that only saying that vague statement isn’t a good measure by itself since I brought up a good example explaining it.

Not hard to comprehend.

I’m not wrong at all. I can do what he did and say “tennis because it’s played on tougher surfaces.” And not explain my reasoning. I’d say the same thing that it’s a vague statement and not a good measure on its own. Notice I never said that he was wrong, just that only saying that vague statement isn’t a good measure by itself since I brought up a good example explaining it.

Not hard to comprehend.
Yet you haven't said anything to address the counterpoint I've raised highlighting how sports with shorter durations that burn fewer calories may be considered by most to be tougher and more demanding on the body. Previously in this thread, I substantiated this by highlighting how all the sports with the highest injury rates are contact sports-- as just one objective metric comparing sports. There are other more subjective supporting arguments, too. These arguments validate the simplicity of his brief statement.

You're condemning his point based on its brevity, and yet it's as good as any as a personal measuring stick to define an answer for the question. Because there is no singular, objective metric to assess this. Therefore, any complicated analyses will entail subjective weighting. So his measuring stick is as good as any because ultimately, however one chooses, one won't be basing this on a wholly objective assessment. You're dismissing his objective logic with your own subjective opinion, and then opining your subjective opinion is more appropriate because...it's longer. That's silly, and it's wrong.

Yet you haven't said anything to address the counterpoint I've raised highlighting how sports with shorter durations that burn fewer calories may be considered by most to be tougher and more demanding on the body. Previously in this thread, I substantiated this by highlighting how all the sports with the highest injury rates are contact sports-- as just one objective metric comparing sports. There are other more subjective supporting arguments, too. These arguments validate the simplicity of his brief statement.

You're condemning his point based on its brevity, and yet it's as good as any as a personal measuring stick to define an answer for the question. Because there is no singular, objective metric to assess this. Therefore, any complicated analyses will entail subjective weighting. So his measuring stick is as good as any because ultimately, however one chooses, one won't be basing this on a wholly objective assessment. You're dismissing his objective logic with your own subjective opinion, and then opining your subjective opinion is more appropriate because...it's longer. That's silly, and it's wrong.
All of that nonsense just to waste both of our time. If you can’t understand how vague it was then I can’t help you. I never disagreed with your points lol, you just enjoy going on long tangents it seems putting your own subjective opinion into his vague statement. My last remark on this..it is not a good measure simply only because it’s a contact sport. Many factors go into it as you have even brought up.

All of that nonsense just to waste both of our time. If you can’t understand how vague it was then I can’t help you. I never disagreed with your points lol, you just enjoy going on long tangents it seems putting your own subjective opinion into his vague statement. My last remark on this..it is not a good measure simply only because it’s a contact sport. Many factors go into it as you have even brought up.
Frankly, it sounds like you've been backed into a corner and want to tap out without admitting you have to tap out.

Long tangents, LOL? Here, let me Cliffs this:
  1. Choosing a sport as tougher or more physically demanding because it is a contact sport is a simple objective ruler
  2. This isn't vague-- you were wrong to state this
  3. It is also as valid as any measuring stick because there is no more complicated set of objective assessments that satisfy the question because the question is fundamentally vague and subjective by its nature
  4. Ergo, telling someone his choice of simple logic is "not a good measure" is wrong because it implies that there is a good measure
  5. In fact, there is no "good measure", and your rejection of his logic is you valuing your own more complicated subjective opinion as being correct as opposed to his subjective opinion only because his is rooted in simpler, objective logic
  6. This is why you are wrong. Because you are telling him he isn't right, but there is no "right" answer. Ironically, in a philosophical debate where there are no wrong answers, you have managed to be wrong.

Got it?

Thanks for proving my point. Peace

Back