The Simpsons™ Destroyed By PC Goons. #ApuToo

Yeah. Those films are available on the web. Same as other movies. Pretty sure Hollywood has had great success reaching foreigners. I guess it all comes down to what and who people are interested in. Art doesn't need "representation" added for appeasement in my opinion. Anyone is free to create some of their own if they don't like what's out there and feel some hole in the market exists.

That's all fine. I'm not sure why you're telling me that though.

Right, but we're talking about in America. Not in India. Indian kids may see Bollywood movies, but nobody else is watching that stuff.
I dunno, the Indian/Paki region is finally starting to get some representatives.

Kunal Nayyar (Raj from Big Bang Theory), Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley, The Big Sick), Karan Soni (Deadpool, Office Christmas Party), Irrfan Khan, etc.

I dunno, the Indian/Paki region is finally starting to get some representatives.

Kunal Nayyar (Raj from Big Bang Theory), Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley, The Big Sick), Karan Soni (Deadpool, Office Christmas Party), Irrfan Khan, etc.

Yeah it's a lot different now than it was before. There are a lot more Indian guys and girls on TV now in non-stereotypical roles.

Mindy Kaling and Aziz Ansari are probably the most well known.

how is this offensive though? i mean; Apu is exactly how indians are irl?

Yeah it's a lot different now than it was before. There are a lot more Indian guys and girls on TV now in non-stereotypical roles.

Mindy Kaling and Aziz Ansari are probably the most well known.
Yeah. I mean, a lot of those were born in the West to Indian/Paki parents, but the roots are still there.

how is this offensive though? i mean; Apu is exactly how indians are irl?

Because some guy got called Apu when he was a kid, never got over it, made a doc whining about it, and this pathetic culture decided he had a valid complaint, and here we are.

Meanwhile...

th

Because you opined about "representation". I took that to mean you were open to discussing it.

I don't mean to be short, I think the problem I run into on here is that I say things, and people tend to respond as if I said something slightly different. The slight difference is actually a major difference though.

For example, there is a big difference between saying I think it's a shame when certain groups are only represented as caricatures, and saying I think that art needs something added just to appease people.

The first is a general feeling about an observation, the second is almost like a demand for some superficial remedy.

the next thing you know, they'll take our thoughts away.

For example, there is a big difference between saying I think it's a shame when certain groups are only represented as caricatures, and saying I think that art needs something added just to appease people.

Sure. And I advanced the discussion into the territory of other possibilities and what's to be done about it. You've expressed disinterest so we can leave it at your lamentation. No worries.

Sure. And I advanced the discussion into the territory of other possibilities and what's to be done about it. You've expressed disinterest so we can leave it at your lamentation. No worries.

Maybe I'm a little defensive, or weary of it, because so many people use things I don't actually say to attack or insult me on here. It's something I've just come to expect.

Whatever percentage of that was a direct result of the popularity of his shameful, denigrating Apu character needs to be donated to the Indian community. Now, Hank. NOW!
If Hank really cares he will offer reparations to those negatively affected. He has a vast fortune.

It will continue to be completely fine to stereotype and crack jokes about the working class Americans though. You'll still have Homer and his family.

Also the 'dumb dad' thing which is common on TV.

Best part of the documentary was this guy saying he can't watch the Simpsons because Apu is so offensive.

The dipshit who made the documentary has been asking for an apology from Azaria for years and got no recognition until his documentary got picked up by the news. Assigning any kind of sincerity to Azaria's actions is laughable.
Yep 2002 lol.

Once the complaints reached critical mass in the explosion of SJW politics this decade Azaria backs down.
Not a coincidence. @shockaholic12

"bu-buht SJW are nothing new and cuckservatives existed before so it's just a coincidence."

30 years and nobody complained until now...during the "the internet raised me" era.

If Apu was a terrible person and took a shit on the side of the road every episode I could understand that. However, he's a business owner, a father of 8, a husband, a proud Hindu and well educated. There are FAR worse stereotypes on that show. However no virtue points to had by white people by complaining about the other stereotypes.

White liberals gonna white liberal though I guess. At least The Simpsons had an epic 30 year run before the bedwetters ruined it.

People were complaining about this a decade ago, and conservatives said the same "political correctness" BS. What was the excuse then?

People were complaining about this a decade ago, and conservatives said the same "political correctness" BS. What was the excuse then?

Was it as lame as singling out one of several dozen stereotyped characters 30 years into a cartoon series?

Back