Thoughts on Rickson's BJJ/Self Defense claims?

Yeah I think you should trust the guy with 20 years of what he terms street fighting experience relative to the guy with 20 years of perfect safety and no fights.

20 years of street fighting means you do not have the damndest idea how to defend against street violence. The meta issues are completely lost.

Yeah I think you should trust the guy with 20 years of what he terms street fighting experience relative to the guy with 20 years of perfect safety and no fights.

20 years of street fighting means you do not have the damndest idea how to defend against street violence. The meta issues are completely lost.

I used to train a lot of "real world" martial arts back in the day and I've been in the security industry for 10 years (nightclubs, etc). I still dabble in krav maga and literally the first thing you learn in all of those situations is using situational awareness to avoid the environment that may foster street violence or, failing that, how to properly defuse a situation.

I've learned all the knife and gun disarming techniques, and I learned them from very good instructors. The first thing they tell you is that if you ever have to use a weapons disarm technique, you've already lost.

I laughed very hard at this. Relating 20 years of street fighting "experience" to combat expert is akin to believing that working as a dishwasher for 20 years makes you a chef.

Just as absurd as thinking 20 years on the mat makes you a street fighter.

You are not a warrior because you play jiu-jitsu. When they need guys to take a building or a hill they don't hire jiu-jitsu fighters and MMA guys.

You know why? They can't fight with weapons. Wars are fought with weapons and they do the same "non-alive" training you think won't work. They don't really shoot or stab each other in training and they do cowardly things like attacking before the other guy is ready because that's how it works in the real world.

You play nerf ball, just accept it. There's nothing wrong with that, we all do. The problem is when you start thinking it's real.

Like "some new guy came in off the street and I handled him". Did you now? You beat him in a fake fight with no malice on a padded floor with no strikes or weapons allowed where both guys agreed to a match and were ready. The bitter truth is, you really didn't do much.

The only way to be a fighter is to fight, the simulation only takes you so far. Therefore the people who really know about this stuff are the ones who have been there and done that.

If you want to stay out of trouble that's fine and it's your right, but you're not a warrior.

Last edited:

Sure, I know exactly how to avoid violence.

Being submissive will work 90% of the time I just...don't because I don't want to.

The problem is one day you'll run into those guys that just want to beat your brakes off for kicks. Like those guys that beat up the white guy on the train after asking his opinion of Michael Brown shooting.

Who you want to take tips from? A guy who's been on a mat or a guy who beat up a bunch of guys for trying that same stunt?

I used to train a lot of "real world" martial arts back in the day and I've been in the security industry for 10 years (nightclubs, etc). I still dabble in krav maga and literally the first thing you learn in all of those situations is using situational awareness to avoid the environment that may foster street violence or, failing that, how to properly defuse a situation.

I've learned all the knife and gun disarming techniques, and I learned them from very good instructors. The first thing they tell you is that if you ever have to use a weapons disarm technique, you've already lost.

That is true, situation awareness is very important thing for surviving any kind of violence whether you want to fight or you want to avoid a fight

The key to making any technique work is to be aggressive with it. Action is always better and faster than reaction.

You don't simply stand there and wait for the knife, you attack. It's not a defense, it's an attack.

Obviously the best case scenario was the one I dealt with. I started swinging before he could draw. I didn't have to disarm him because I beat him senseless first. If he reached his waist to draw I'd probably Kimura his arm and break his shoulder. If he already had the knife I'd rush him by surprise and gain control of his arm and start forcing him back and get him off balance, maybe break his nose, then disarm. If you can't do anything else take ground, force him to defend.

I was able to get through that because I was aware of the situation and what I needed to do to win.

The problem with most people is they just can't do it because they don't have the background for it.

You run into a brick wall where you don't know how to convey what violence is. They just kind of stand there and go through the motions. lol

Last edited:
I feel he has a point to be honest, it's a "martial" art after all, with "sport" competitions

Name change request for JohnSouth to JohnSeagal pls, Zanky, thx.

I don't understand peoples fixation on all that self defense bullshit in the first place.

I don't understand peoples fixation on all that self defense bullshit in the first place.

Rarely do fights have anything to do with defending yourself against unprovoked attack. Much less a true murderous criminal assailant.

For adults, 9/10 what is called 'self defense' in the martial arts has nothing to do with self defense, and might better be translated 'I want to be a belligerent buffoon and come out better at it.' Or at least feel like I would.

This is a large part of where the self defense fixation comes from. Real self defense in modern society is boring. That CPA down the road is doing it right now. So people substitute in 'street fights' as 'self defense.'

Rarely do fights have anything to do with defending yourself against unprovoked attack. Much less a true murderous criminal assailant.

For adults, 9/10 what is called 'self defense' in the martial arts has nothing to do with self defense, and might better be translated 'I want to be a belligerent buffoon and come out better at it.' Or at least feel like I would.

This is a large part of where the self defense fixation comes from. Real self defense in modern society is boring. That CPA down the road is doing it right now. So people substitute in 'street fights' as 'self defense.'

Elephant in the room:

Martial arts are not about self defense or staying safe. It is 100% about honor and being a "belligerent buffoon" or standing up for what you believe in.
The people who invented these martial arts would break someones arms and legs or cut off heads with a sword over an insult and often did.

Now, many years later in a politically correct world people argue that it's all about getting home safe no matter the cost to your ego.

You can try to sell classes to soccer moms and pacifists that way but it is not historically accurate.

Go back in time and insult a young Helio Gracie or Kimura let alone a Samurai and try to run roughshod over him, I promise he will not buy you a drink.

You would have to fight him, beyond groveling you wouldn't get out of it and that would be judged harshly.

For a lot of guys, learning to fight in the gym leads to self defense because learning your limits and knowing you can fight are a cure for the shame and guilt the unitiated have at the thought of backing down from a fight.

Someone starting an impersonal fist fight on the street with me by calling me names or bumping into me on purpose and asking to fight can't teach me anything about myself I didn't learn getting my ass kicked in the gym. All I can learn is if he has a weapon or how good he is at fighting.

Many people, martial artists as well, love teaching other people about themselves. That's a different problem.

For many people though, shame and guilt at backing down are a huge problem and the cause of the delays and posturing that lead to a real fight. I can back down from a fight with no shame or guilt, instantly, and without thinking about it then or even later, because I know myself pretty well.

I never started a fight but I won't back down from an insult or a threat even if my death is likely.

I put my life in the hands of my God and do my best despite the danger. I accept death and fight anyway.

Now who do you think knows more about himself? lol

Let's face, it most of these problems you guys talk about are minor and involve no danger and yet people are murdered each day around the world.

Again, this is upper class people shaming lower class people for standing up for themselves.

You won't back down from an insult even if you know you're going to get your ass whipped or killed? This isn't ancient sparta...fuck you are a horrible troll or a horrible person.

You won't back down from an insult even if you know you're going to get your ass whipped or killed? This isn't ancient sparta...fuck you are a horrible troll or a horrible person.

Obviously it didn't turn out that way. lol

But I have no problem with death when my time is here. God decides that, not some punks. Maybe that's the difference between us and why I'm a "horrible person".

Forget about ancient sparta, 80s Baltimore would be too much for the starbucks crowd.

More hipster shaming from behind their gated apartments.

When it comes to streetfighting, i would honestly trust Rickson before my own opinion.
Sorry TS, he's just that guy. He knows. If he's wrong, fuck it, i'm willing to die on that gamble

Of course JohnSouth would never back down from an insult, his plot armor saves him from the vicious villains and allows him to murder numerous thugs with immunity.
Read a Punisher comic to truly understand how he operates.

Sport BJJ versus BJJ for self-defense is kinda like my beard. I have had a bears going on like 15 years. I was the weird beard guy and every thing was cool. Then a bunch of hipster assholes started growing beards and hanging out at dive bars and just screwed it up for all us. Now beards are getting shaved off and some new trend is replacing them and I get to go back to being weird beard guy.

The end.

When it comes to streetfighting, i would honestly trust Rickson before my own opinion.
Sorry TS, he's just that guy. He knows. If he's wrong, fuck it, i'm willing to die on that gamble

I would trust Rickson if he had no conflict of interest

Obviously it didn't turn out that way. lol

But I have no problem with death when my time is here. God decides that, not some punks. Maybe that's the difference between us and why I'm a "horrible person".

Forget about ancient sparta, 80s Baltimore would be too much for the starbucks crowd.

More hipster shaming from behind their gated apartments.

I'm glad you are ok with your make believe friend and would rather have your ego and such and be selfish like that. Instead of making sure you are safe and not getting into a scrap because you have to have a dick measuring contest with some idiot. fuck your family and friends if they miss you....you have your honor and that's what's up right broheim?!

I'm glad you are ok with your make believe friend and would rather have your ego and such and be selfish like that. Instead of making sure you are safe and not getting into a scrap because you have to have a dick measuring contest with some idiot. fuck your family and friends if they miss you....you have your honor and that's what's up right broheim?!

Funny how you are full of insults, hostility and mockery of my beliefs.

The lord hates a coward. Is that why you hate him?

Back