TOOL $%^$ing TOOL

Agreed. They lost their hunger. It happens to many artists. And it was apparent on the 10,000 days album, though that one was still ok.

I think part of the problem is that Adam Jones has somewhat of a limited skill set on the guitar. I don’t think he knows much music theory. And that’s not always an issue. But knowing music theory can give you a deep well to pull ideas from when you have none and when everything you write is becoming derivative of everything else you have written.

You can say “Hey, I’ll try this weird conceptual thing here”, and while it may not always yield a good sounding idea, there are many times it can. It can lead to a new cool lick or riff. Or just a new way of seeing the guitar which can spawn more ideas when the old ones are stale.

And that’s what their shit is sounding like. Like it’s stale.

I couldn't get into 10,000 Days. I tried giving it a few listens, but quickly moved on. I might give it another try. I like the new album more than 10,000 Days.

Spot on!! Maynard's voice and vocals aren't what Tool is about and isn't what carries the bad. It's the tight drum, bass, and guitar riffs woven together. Listen to The Pot or 46&2 and just listen to the drums and bass working together. It's awesome.

Tool's songs all come from the rhythms, I'd imagine Adam has a very good knowledge of drumming to write his stuff, Danny probably comes up with most of the base of their songs i think.

Tool's songs all come from the rhythms, I'd imagine Adam has a very good knowledge of drumming to write his stuff, Danny probably comes up with most of the base of their songs i think.

I think it's pretty collaborative between the three instrumentalists. Maynard has said he comes in after the instrumentals are done and adds his vocals.

I still think Aenima is their best song.

And I got the whole album on iTunes for 11.99 so not sure what price everyone is tripping on.
In Australia it was avl pre order but the only version was a bloody paperback book sized thing with disc and a small screen with a battery that plays something I think, either way it was 140 fucking $
I said yeah I'll pass on that one love but order me the normal one, if there's a digipak version for 30 bucks or so ill take that, if not just anormal jewel case version will do
Sorry sir the $140 version is the only hard copy being released for now and we sold out our small allocation in a day
Fmd the cunts are taking the pics, ill download it instead
Same here...

Reading through this thread I didn't realize it was lame to like tool:D I've never been a super fan, but they've always earned a spot on a play list or two. Being a teenager in the 90's I went from listening to Gun's N Roses, Motley Crue, AC/DC etc... To shit like Tool, Deftones, Pantera, Soulfly/Sepultura, Korn etc...

Their new Album does Rock though. Maybe it's nostagia, but it's nice to see some new quality heavy music come out these days.

New korn tomorrow where I am
Will be purchasing for sure

Maynard said the only reason this album happend is because he got the fuck out of the place and did side projects. It's a tight group and then him.

I've been listening to it again today loud on headphones and it's better again, I cannot produce a superlative strong enough to describe how tight the instrumentation is.

That brings me to my conclusion: I would love to hear the album without Maynard's vocals. Every aspect of the instrumentation feeds back into the rest of it, amplifies and embodies the rest. The vocals come across as added on at the end, which I understand is what happened. As such the vocals are limited by Maynard's interpretation of the instrumentation, there is no feedback loop. It's unfair really considering the craft in the rest of it but there it is, feels like a commentary track on a film, except the commentary is actually all the guy talking about himself.

It's still good vocals, but in contrast to the masterpiece of the instrumentation it can feel discordant.

wtf is a Maynards?

Lead singer!

I've been listening to it again today loud on headphones and it's better again, I cannot produce a superlative strong enough to describe how tight the instrumentation is.

That brings me to my conclusion: I would love to hear the album without Maynard's vocals. Every aspect of the instrumentation feeds back into the rest of it, amplifies and embodies the rest. The vocals come across as added on at the end, which I understand is what happened. As such the vocals are limited by Maynard's interpretation of the instrumentation, there is no feedback loop. It's unfair really considering the craft in the rest of it but there it is, feels like a commentary track on a film, except the commentary is actually all the guy talking about himself.

It's still good vocals, but in contrast to the masterpiece of the instrumentation it can feel discordant.

Lead singer!
Yeah, instrumentals in this are fantastic. Maynard’s lycrics and singing are the weakest link. I preferred Maynard’s lyrics and singing in the 90s.

Back