UFC 218 - Holloway vs Aldo II - Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Getting Aldo at this price is tempting for sure, but I'm struggling to see him actually winning this.

Is he going to put Max away? Seems pretty unlikely, Max is extremely durable and outside of the KZ shoulder injury, Aldo hasn't stopped anyone since the Mendes knee in 2012.

Can he win a decision in a 5 round fight against a cardio machine who pushes the pace like Max? I suppose there's an outside chance, but he slowed down a lot in the first fight, so idk how much he can really improve that in only 6 months. I get he was supposedly injured, but his cardio was a question mark in the past as well.

It just seems to me like Holloway is a nightmare matchup for Aldo at this point.

A lot of people of the board including myself (1u) were on Aldo due to the fact he looked pretty good against Edgar so we couldn't argue he was on the decline, the fight was in Brazil and he is essentially the GOAT and lines were pretty close.

Jose Aldo looked good initially in the beginning of the first fight but once Holloway found his rhythm and distance, he broke Aldo down. Holloway's striking is so diverse, the way he works the head and body, the angles he uses, his cardio, pace and volume and his chin. I think he gives people tons of problems with the angles he comes at and then darts back out so he can't be hit and they have essentially identical reaches (Aldo 70' and Holloway 69'). He is in his prime and imo Aldo is in the latter part of his career. I totally agree he is a nightmare matchup for Aldo and now he is flying to the USA to fight and not in front of his home crowd. At his point in his career, what you see is what you get.

I know the ML for Holloway is steep but he wins this fight like 80-90% at this point of their careers, maybe look into Holloway ITD line as a better alternative.

A lot of people of the board including myself (1u) were on Aldo due to the fact he looked pretty good against Edgar so we couldn't argue he was on the decline, the fight was in Brazil and he is essentially the GOAT and lines were pretty close.

Jose Aldo looked good initially in the beginning of the first fight but once Holloway found his rhythm and distance, he broke Aldo down. Holloway's striking is so diverse, the way he works the head and body, the angles he uses, his cardio, pace and volume and his chin. I think he gives people tons of problems with the angles he comes at and then darts back out so he can't be hit and they have essentially identical reaches (Aldo 70' and Holloway 69'). He is in his prime and imo Aldo is in the latter part of his career. I totally agree he is a nightmare matchup for Aldo and now he is flying to the USA to fight and not in front of his home crowd. At his point in his career, what you see is what you get.

I know the ML for Holloway is steep but he wins this fight like 80-90% at this point of their careers, maybe look into Holloway ITD line as a better alternative.

Yea, my main plays on the first fight were the over and Max NSC/KO. Ended up making out okay, but at the time I thought Aldo by decision was the most likely outcome based on how he looked against Edgar/the McGregor fight being the only mark against him and not really telling us much of anything with how quickly it ended.

I'm not sure how I'm going to bet this second fight yet, but even with my confidence in Max winning I can't bring myself to play him at this price against Aldo.

I think Max is simply a nightmare matchup for any 145er at this point. And after this fight he will probably not be -200 against Edgar but more like -300

So salty I'm not able to bet Max at -200 against Edgar. Not sure we ever see him at -200 again for a very long time

I think Max is simply a nightmare matchup for any 145er at this point. And after this fight he will probably not be -200 against Edgar but more like -300

So salty I'm not able to bet Max at -200 against Edgar. Not sure we ever see him at -200 again for a very long time
How will the outcome of this fight make a difference to the Edgar fight's odds? Chances are that, if he beats Aldo, it's going to look very similar to the first fight. 3rd/4th round TKO after Aldo has his moments in the 1st/2nd before ultimately getting out-cardio'd. The Edgar fight's more about Holloway reacting to Edgar's cardio, TDs and pressure-game.

Agreed. Getting Aldo at this price is tempting for sure, but I'm struggling to see him actually winning this.

Is he going to put Max away? Seems pretty unlikely, Max is extremely durable and outside of the KZ shoulder injury, Aldo hasn't stopped anyone since the Mendes knee in 2012.

Can he win a decision in a 5 round fight against a cardio machine who pushes the pace like Max? I suppose there's an outside chance, but he slowed down a lot in the first fight, so idk how much he can really improve that in only 6 months. I get he was supposedly injured, but his cardio was a question mark in the past as well.

It just seems to me like Holloway is a nightmare matchup for Aldo at this point.

i honestly think holloway is a nightmare matchup for anyone at 145 or 155 right now, hehe. he's so f'ing strong on his feet, so sturdy.. cardio for days, insane chin, great footwork and volume

how can we have a Jose Aldo fight discussion without @plekz

How will the outcome of this fight make a difference to the Edgar fight's odds? Chances are that, if he beats Aldo, it's going to look very similar to the first fight. 3rd/4th round TKO after Aldo has his moments in the 1st/2nd before ultimately getting out-cardio'd. The Edgar fight's more about Holloway reacting to Edgar's cardio, TDs and pressure-game.

Just watch. He will look even better this fight and he will NOT be -200 against Frankie

Just watch. He will look even better this fight and he will NOT be -200 against Frankie
I'm not saying he won't look good. I'm just saying that Edgar will ask different questions of him than Aldo does. Edgar fight comes down to Holloway having the TDD and cardio. Neither of which will be tested hard against Aldo

I'm not saying he won't look good. I'm just saying that Edgar will ask different questions of him than Aldo does. Edgar fight comes down to Holloway having the TDD and cardio. Neither of which will be tested hard against Aldo
maybe but the public will still smash him causing the line to inflate

Aldo not fooling me again. He can’t be trusted against a top guy like Holloway.

He said a leg injured prevented him from running for his last fight l and that’s why he didn’t throw many leg kicks.

I don’t care if he has a cyborg leg now. It’s going to be the same fight. Might end earlier.

Should’ve dropped a nuke on Holloway itd +500 last time.

Now it started around -115, currently sitting at -135

fight does not go the distance is the best line -145

After watching Gastelum/Bisping today, really strong feeling that Holloway/Aldo not going to be much different (not saying Aldo gets blasted in the first but will over 5 rounds). One fighter in his prime and one in the latter part of his career and a nightmare matchup.

aldo was credited for throwing four leg kicks against frankie, seven against mendes
he didn't threw legkicks against them cuz they were and are wrestlers.
A wrestler can catch your kick and get you to the ground, Holloway however ain't a wrestler.
Aldo by decision mark my words guys

I don't that Aldo likes to fight infront of his people.
To much pressure, afraid of losing in devasting fashion infront of his people.
Aldo is mentally not that strong, that's why he pulled out the fight against mcgregor. When everyone doubted him and said Frankie would whoop his ass, he performed the best.
Aldo by decision

Who was saying Frankie was gonna whoop Aldo's ass

I already bet Max ITD but dont forget, Aldo was winning the first two rounds of the first meeting. Aldo is probably going to win the first round seeing as Max is a slow starter. Max only started getting his timing down in the latter part of the second round. Can anyone say live betting opportunity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back