Social War Room Lounge v.231: Frodo Pack Edition

Favorite cut of steak

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The point being they get away with shit like this all the time.

Agreed that cops have a long history of abusing the public, although nothing in that Buffalo video constitutes anything criminal.

Also by your logic the Rodney king police were innocent “and didn’t do anything wrong” because the jury “didn’t let emotions guide their decision.” You said that not me.

No, that's your logic. Or more accurately, lack of it. Too funny.

That is a talk box, you may have heard Peter Frampton or Richie Sambora use it and some of their songs as well. I don’t know much about that particular guitar player, but people don’t only use a talk box because they suck, since Peter Frampton and Richie Sambora are obviously amazing guitar players.

Some guitar players may use extensive effects pedals to create some thing really interesting almost as a crutch for not being amazing guitar players, I know that the Edge from U2 is often accused of that. People will say he overuses effect petals so that he can play something simple that sounds more complex due to his gizmos.

But in my opinion, I don’t really care how skilled you are if you are able to create something that I enjoy listening to. Give me an average guitar player who is very creative and can create amazing sounding music any day over an amazing guitar player who can’t produce anything that I really want to listen to.

Does the recorded version use this contraption?

time stamped

I don't particularly dislike Coheed and Cambria, but they are one of the sloppiest bands I've ever seen live. I've never been able to sit through a whole set.

Weird. Definitely haven't heard that before. A common criticism is that Sanchez should pass off more of the harder guitar work so that he can give more focus to vocals. But their composition is extremely complex.

Can't say I've seen any (notable) band that I'd describe as sloppy. Most unfortunate live performance I saw was Bob Dylan circa 2011 just because the quality of his vocals was just so bad. Saw Killswitch Engage once and thought they sucked but I assumed it was just because I don't like metalcore. But I've only been to like 5 concerts in the past decade, so my scope of experience is very limited.

Josh Hawley making a spectacle out of grilling Merrick Garland over whether he supports defunding the police

God, what a fucking hack.

Weird. Definitely haven't heard that before. A common criticism is that Sanchez should pass off more of the harder guitar work so that he can give more focus to vocals. But their composition is extremely complex.

Can't say I've seen any (notable) band that I'd describe as sloppy. Most unfortunate live performance I saw was Bob Dylan circa 2011 just because the quality of his vocals was just so bad. Saw Killswitch Engage once and thought they sucked but I assumed it was just because I don't like metalcore. But I've only been to like 5 concerts in the past decade, so my scope of experience is very limited.

I've seen them live twice, and both times it sounded like the guitars were just out of tune.

Even the solo you posted, it sounds like he is covering a solo he just learned how to play, to my ears anyway. It's not a particularly difficult guitar piece in the grand scheme of progressive rock/metal. Just sounds "off".

I like some of their album work. Just never a good experience for me live.

Does the recorded version use this contraption?

time stamped

I don't hear it anywhere in that recording. Sounds like he might have a pretty slight wah wah pedal or something working in there, but I don't hear any talk box. But really, a talk box can be used sort of like a wah wah pedal, you can probably do a lot of things with it (I've never actually used one, or been interested in one enough to look into it).

To join the sloppy band discussion, I can't say I've ever heard a band that was sloppy, but I saw The National a few years ago and the guy forgot their opening song 3 times and restarted 3 times before getting 20 seconds in, then gave up on the song. It was one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

Imagine opening a concert with a song that you can't remember, stopping (literally 15 seconds into your concert), and restarting multiple times. Then saying to the crowd, "We are just going to skip this one." Lol.

I don't hear it anywhere in that recording. Sounds like he might have a pretty slight wah wah pedal or something working in there, but I don't hear any talk box. But really, a talk box can be used sort of like a wah wah pedal, you can probably do a lot of things with it (I've never actually used one, or been interested in one enough to look into it).

To join the sloppy band discussion, I can't say I've ever heard a band that was sloppy, but I saw The National a few years ago and the guy forgot their opening song 3 times and restarted 3 times before getting 20 seconds in, then gave up on the song. It was one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

Imagine opening a concert with a song that you can't remember, stopping (literally 15 seconds into your concert), and restarting multiple times. Then saying to the crowd, "We are just going to skip this one." Lol.

I've tried exceptionally hard to get into the National, but no dice.

Josh Hawley making a spectacle out of grilling Merrick Garland over whether he supports defunding the police

God, what a fucking hack.

Im completely embarrassed bud. Missouri politicians are amoung the worst.

I've tried exceptionally hard to get into the National, but no dice.

To me, I can listen to 10 of their songs and feel like I'm not missing anything by not checking out the rest of their catalog. They have some good music, and a lot of music that is a little bit boring to me.

Deftones
Chino, the singer, for some time had damaged vocal chords and sounded horrendous live. Other times I've seen them their guitarist, Stephen, had gotten too high before the show and kept fucking up. More than once I've seen Chino straight up attack Stephen on stage over his fuck ups, lol.

Deftones
Chino, the singer, for some time had damaged vocal chords and sounded horrendous live. Other times I've seen them their guitarist, Stephen, had gotten too high before the show and kept fucking up. More than once I've seen Chino straight up attack Stephen on stage over his fuck ups, lol.

I saw Elvis Costello and he had no voice at all. He tried his best, but he should have just cancelled a few shows and tried to recover for a few weeks.

those are literally your words not mine. Lmao

https://www.thoughtco.com/quoting-out-of-context-fallacy-250332

What does it mean to quote someone out of context? After all, every quotation necessarily excludes large sections of the original material and is thus an "out of context" quotation. What makes this a fallacy is to take a selective quotation which distorts, alters, or even reverses the originally intended meaning. This can be done accidentally or deliberately.

Another common way to use the fallacy of quoting out of context is to combine with a Straw Man argument. In this, someone is quoted out of context so that their position appears weaker or more extreme than it is. When this false position is refuted, the author pretends that they have refuted the real position of the original person.

I saw Elvis Costello and he had no voice at all. He tried his best, but he should have just cancelled a few shows and tried to recover for a few weeks.
Shit happens. I know it must be hard for some performers to cancel a show and not perform, but sometimes it is for the best. The thing with Chino, though, is that it lasted several years before he finally recovered.

Deftones

Okay, now I can think of a band I saw live that I would characterize as sloppy.

Hed PE.

Fuck, I haven't even thought of that band in years.

I once saw Fear Before the March of Flames show where their singer was replaced by numerous vocalists as he got injured by his own guitarist doing a bitch toss at the previous show. Was pretty cool to see the singers for Norma Jean, BTBAM, and ETID take turns taking over vocal duty for them. Even funnier that they had to have a print out of the lyrics since they didn't know the songs well enough.

Last edited:
Okay, now I can think of a band I saw live that I would characterize as sloppy.

Hed PE.

Fuck, I haven't even thought of that band in years.
LOL
I love (hed) P.E. but can totally imagine them being horrendous live
Awful band that is immensely entertaining, I love them like I love junk food

no but I hate when I have soap all over my face, only to have the bar slip out of my hands & ricochet out into the bathroom. the bar always ends up in the furthest corner, & having a wet bathroom floor annoys me to no end.

/rage
Oh yeah, hilarious when it rockets down one side of the tub and up the other under the shower curtain and onto the floor... not... well kind of fucking really funny. I've had it happen and I curse and then I laugh.

LOL
I love (hed) P.E. but can totally imagine them being horrendous live
Awful band that is immensely entertaining, I love them like I love junk food

I was very young and, to be fair, they were probably the most innovative band at the festival. But...yeah, no thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back