WAR ROOM LOUNGE V17: The Stuff Under Your You-Know-What

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add Diogenes of Sinope to the list of 2018 troll accounts.

@Fawlty wanna open up an excel doc to keep track of these losers?
I think this is more serious than a spreadsheet situation...we're gonna need a database.

increased purchasing power
significantly more trust by other countries w/ choosing USD to repay debt w/

You're blatantly ignoring the rest of the world economy, typically it works in relative unison. That is NOT the case right now. Tell me, why was the Shanghai Stock Exchange at essentially even for the year until July when the 'trade war' started, and now it's down 20%?

Wait, you're celebrating a decline in stock markets in other countries and saying that *I* am ignoring the interconnectedness of the world economy? You don't see the contradiction there? I'm the guy who is arguing for free trade in theory. Plus, your view that our economy is being boosted still has no evidence.

To satisfy @HereticBD, I've moved this. Even though in reality, I think you guys lack the sophistication and rationality to discuss any issue on its own merits (everything is just seen through the lens of "Daddy is awesome").

Wait, you're celebrating a decline in stock markets in other countries and saying that *I* am ignoring the interconnectedness of the world economy? You don't see the contradiction there? I'm the guy who is arguing for free trade in theory. Plus, your view that our economy is being boosted still has no evidence.

To satisfy @HereticBD, I've moved this. Even though in reality, I think you guys lack the sophistication and rationality to discuss any issue on its own merits (everything is just seen through the lens of "Daddy is awesome").
'daddy?'

the only GOP candidate I've ever voted for, or even supported was Arnold for Governor. I'm not even a registered GOP voter playa
'lack the sophistication and rationality' hahahahahahahahha. Have you hit up Comedy Central about your own 30 minute special?

carry on sir

'daddy?'

the only GOP candidate I've ever voted for, or even supported was Arnold for Governor. I'm not even a registered GOP voter playa
'lack the sophistication and rationality' hahahahahahahahha. Have you hit up Comedy Central about your own 30 minute special?

carry on sir

So looks like you're wrapping with the understanding that your thesis is not supported by either evidence or logic. There's no rational justification for the belief that falling stock markets in other countries helps us or that the small recovery in the dollar to levels last reached in July of last year isn't providing any noticeable boon to the economy.

So looks like you're wrapping with the understanding that your thesis is not supported by either evidence or logic. There's no rational justification for the belief that falling stock markets in other countries helps us or that the small recovery in the dollar to levels last reached in July of last year isn't providing any noticeable boon to the economy.
Wait a second, one of these guys said that falling stock markets in other countries boosts Americas? That's laughably stupid.

Wait a second, one of these guys said that falling stock markets in other countries boosts Americas? That's laughably stupid.

@HunterSdVa29. He also argued that the rise in the dollar that started in April:

fredgraph.png

is a result of Trump's alleged "America first" policy and is providing a big boost to our economy.

I think part of it is just that this stuff is complicated, and it's easier to think in terms of stereotypes and partisanship. Imagine if Romney had won in 2012 and done everything exactly the same as Obama actually did. The stronger job growth, wage growth, cratering deficits, and GDP growth would have been taken as a result of having a business guy in the WH, and Romney would have been called a miracle worker. While we're stipulating that policy and outcomes would be the same, it would be impossible to argue that if Obama had won re-election, things would have been the same to the satisfaction of non-economists. I know Hunter will take this as condescending (rightly, I guess, but I genuinely think that he's not thinking rationally), but that illustrates the challenge that clear-thinking people are facing now (though it's not as extreme).

Last edited:
@HunterSdVa29. He also argued that the rise in the dollar that started in April:

fredgraph.png

is a result of Trump's alleged "America first" policy and is providing a big boost to our economy.

I think part of it is just that this stuff is complicated, and it's easier to think in terms of stereotypes and partisanship. Imagine if Romney had won in 2012 and done everything exactly the same as Obama actually did. The stronger job growth, wage growth, cratering deficits, and GDP growth would have been taken as a result of having a business guy in the WH, and Romney would be called a miracle worker. While we're stipulating that policy and outcomes would be the same, it would be impossible to argue that if Obama had won re-election, things would have been the same to the satisfaction of non-economists. I know Hunter will take this as condescending (rightly, I guess, but I genuinely think that he's not thinking rationally), but that illustrates the challenge that clear-thinking people are facing now (though it's not as extreme).

Beautifully said.

No, i did not.

I said our stock market is rising, while others are falling (same w/ currencies) for the same underlying reason

Apparently people have not either realized that other Central Banks are literal institutional investors, and are recently NOTICEABLY increasing their investments into US equities (readily verified by the 13fs they have to file w/ the SEC) while also pulling out of China and the EM sectors. This is all related to not only the Trade War but oncoming balloon debt payments held by Turkey and various other countries, coupled w/ China's disastrous neocolonial policies.

No, i did not.

I said our stock market is rising, while others are falling (same w/ currencies) for the same underlying reason

??? Wait you're changing again? Tell me clearly what you think is happening and what the evidence for it is. "Our economy is getting a boost because of America-first policy that is making other countries' stock markets fall" is not an answer to the question.

Apparently people have not either realized that other Central Banks are literal institutional investors, and are recently NOTICEABLY increasing their investments into US equities (readily verified by the 13fs they have to file w/ the SEC) while also pulling out of China and the EM sectors. This is all related to not only the Trade War but oncoming balloon debt payments held by Turkey and various other countries, coupled w/ China's disastrous neocolonial policies.

Our market is on the same trajectory it's been on since 2009, though, yes? You're saying that there would have been a crash absent "America first" policy? What's your evidence?

I don't think @Jack V Savage would just make something up and say you're lying.

Of course not. But he's kind of refusing to say anything. Possible that I misinterpreted in an effort to pull some logic out of the words. You can follow the arrows to see the full discussion. Basically, he's saying that there's some kind of "America first"-policy-related boom, and I'm asking for evidence, and the evidence is that some other countries are seeing downturns in their markets. That's also why I gave the Romney example. In the hypothetical, it would just be "we have a business guy in the WH. You think it's just a coincidence that we're seeing all this?" But there would be no way to explain the reasoning.

I hate hate HATE that this is PG13 but I still can't wait to see it.

I hate hate HATE that this is PG13 but I still can't wait to see it.

The suit suggests they understand why we all love venom growing up....but I don't think the story will be any good. It has to be r-rated.

Not even sure why we have rating categories anymore...the shit that is available online, gaming and tv ....kids are not going to be messed up from a violent gore comic movie

The suit suggests they understand why we all love venom growing up....but I don't think the story will be any good. It has to be r-rated.

Not even sure why we have rating categories anymore...the shit that is available online, gaming and tv ....kids are not going to be messed up from a violent gore comic movie
The rating system doesn't make sense anymore either when you compare to old movies.

BLUES BROTHERS with Belushi and Akyroyd (the only one that matters as BB 2000 doesn't exist in my world) is the perfect example. That movie is rated R SIMPLY for the scene with the nun at the orphanage where Elwood drops a "FUCK PENGUIN" when she's beating them over the head with the ruler.

I took some BS film studies class my senior year of college for some humanity credits and we reviewed the rating system and the Blues Brothers was used as an example from the prof for why the rating system is garbage now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back