What are you reading? Sci-fi/fantasy edition

I recently read "Children of Time" by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Best sci-fi I've read for quite a while.

I'm also working my way through a collection of the works of Arthur Machen. Loved "The White People" and especially "The Great God Pan".

novel_cover_the_witcher_vol_3_by_xiling-d9w3lgw.jpg

The Gentleman Bastards series by Lynch was pretty damn good.
The Demon Cycle from Peter V Brett I thought was solid and worth the read.
And thanks for all the other suggestions in the thread

I'm on the 8th book of Malazan, Toll the Hounds. Loving the series.

I tried twice on this. Finished the first book the second time. Wasn't my cup of tea I guess. Crazy because it is on just about every top fantasy series list.

I was legit getting ready to ask if anyone had any insight on this series. the first book, Gardens of the Moon keeps showing up in my Goodreads suggestions. really want to pick it up, but 10 books is a big commitment.

They get progressively worse as the series goes on and the weirdness goes off the scale. I gave up about 100 pages into the 5th.

The first three are I think clearly the best but it was never really much of an action series, more philosophy mixed with drama. You could I spose argue that Children of Dune has more tension to it as theres less direct knowledge of the future for the lead characters.

There definitely books that benefit from re reading as well I'd say, the density first time around can obscure a lot of the character/drama.

Last edited:
I was pretty disappointed with how the film turned out, it should have been better.

I share your hopes for a better attempt.

I thought Rutger Hauer gave a good performance, as did Peter Vaughan, but there was only so much they could do under those constraints.

i picked up this series because i liked the cover for this book,some of them a great,but i found he kind of lost his way towards the end.

I tried twice on this. Finished the first book the second time. Wasn't my cup of tea I guess. Crazy because it is on just about every top fantasy series list.

I was legit getting ready to ask if anyone had any insight on this series. the first book, Gardens of the Moon keeps showing up in my Goodreads suggestions. really want to pick it up, but 10 books is a big commitment.

i picked up this series because i liked the cover for this book,some of them a great,but i found he kind of lost his way towards the end.

It's definitely a difficult series. There's a ton going on and the author is not much for plot exposition.

The best advice I got was not to try to reread anything and just accept that somethings will become clearer as you read further into the series.

I personally love them, but I can understand why some people would get frustrated and read something else.

Anyone recommend some Star Wars Expanded Universe shit? Would prefer stuff from the Empire side

I love this old Star Wars game Star Wars Rebellion and it includes a lot of characters I guess came from these books, like Thrawn

Just finished The Drawing of the Three. It's been a while since I finished the first book, so it took me a bit to get into, but once it picked up I couldn't put it down. I want to jump into the next one, but I need to finish up The First Law trilogy first. About 1/3 of the way through The Last Arguments of Kings so it shouldn't be to long now.

51ZJLAWiZVL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I barely have anytime to wind down after work and class, so I recently started to re-read the guards storyline of Discworld books by Terry Pratchett. Currently up to Thud. I find the 5-10 minutes of reading something familiar to me is in a way comforting, like visiting old friends, a nice mind cleanser.

I’ve read the whole series atleast once, and even after going back and re-reading certain books a few times they are still entertaining to me.

Just read a great new fantasy series called the Midnight Front, by New York times Bestseller David Mack. Its about magic users who are involved in ww2, and how the various governments try to control them. It was outstanding, Mix a grown up Harry potter meets James Bond meets Saving private Ryan. I think it has the potential to be the next big HBO type series.

9780765383198.jpg

Anyone recommend some Star Wars Expanded Universe shit? Would prefer stuff from the Empire side

I love this old Star Wars game Star Wars Rebellion and it includes a lot of characters I guess came from these books, like Thrawn
Thrawn. Star wars has released some great novels this year, Thrawn, Aftermath 1-3, and Bloodlines were all fantastic.

All my favorite authors keep dying haven't read a book in about a year.

Back