What do you want from Fallout 4 and TES 6?

Lol no just no

ibc0C9rvviK5EZ.gif

Just a smoother engine and a more dynamic world.

The engine was robotic as hell, that can use a lot of improvement.

I feel like Skyrim was an awesome world, my favorite in any video game, but it could be a lot more dynamic. Apparently there was a war going on... sure didn't feel like it for the most part. New Vegas did a lot better in that regard. Some more recognition from NPC's would be nice too. They don't have to go all Fable though, that was just annoying. A bit more depth to the world basically. And I wanna lollygag wherever the fuck I please.

And combat of course, but that goes without saying.

The one aspect of Fallout 3 that separated it from all the other TES games (and Fallout Vegas) was how rewarding it was to do just exploring.

I'm not sure how to say it, but in Oblivions/Skyrim, each Town was a series of side quests with some mini stories, but there was a similarity of each location. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed all the TES games.

I really got lost in the story at times in Fallout 3, unlike any other game. Wandering around a random Vault, piecing together it's tragic story and finding some weapons/armor/etc whatever near the end that tied it all together.

If they can somehow capture that again in Fallout 4. Maybe it impossible to recreate that atmosphere again without it being too familiar.

Okay, so here's my pitch. Now, I've always been a progressive in the gamer community. I tend to hold that newer games study and improve upon flaws or shortcomings learned from previous masterpieces, and that other technical advancements and historical lessons provide the foundation for a superior future. Obviously some games are utterly timeless and transcend not just their peers, but their period itself. So the real caveat to beware is not learning and building upon these past lessons effectively.

The primary complaint about games like the TES/Witcher and others is the combat. IMO, the problem with games carrying the ambition to achieve complex real-time RPG-style combat is that they've focused too much on YOU, and not enough on your OPPONENT. I think of past classics like Tyson's Punch-Out. The control of Mac was relatively straightforward and simple. up or down dictate head/body with A/B as the left and right hands, respectively. Left/Right would dodge, down with punching would block, and start was the special punch. That was it. Otherwise, the fascinating complexity of the game relied on your opposition, and the learning the keys to reading their attacks, figuring out what to do, then timing it correctly.

• Why not apply this to the next TES combat? Just like certain creatures are faster than others, and I wish they would emphasize that more than they already have, I think some should be much faster and more difficult to block/parry/anticipate in combat than others. Make simple reaction to the attack part of the challenge. However, don't give us the same b-line aggro attack from every creature. Give them little idiosyncrasies that tip off what they're going to do (the same as in Tyson's Punch Out). Make the best counter a certain preemptive attack, or a certain block/parry (high & left, low & left, high & right, low & right), or a dodge, etc. Sometimes he swings with his claw (exposing himself), and you should attack first, but not 100% of the time. Sometimes he spits acid, so you should raise your shield if you're a warrior, or use a special evasive maneuver if you're a thief, or erect a wax shield if you're a mage. Make it so a slash works, but not a stab. That sort of thing.
  • Create variance in these to make it interesting. For example,in Tyson's Punch-Out sometimes an uppercut would come, but not always, so you couldn't be perfect in killing them if you were more aggressive and trying to finish them quickly in Rd 1). Use this to make dealing with swarms of creatures more difficult and interesting. Sure, you could kill that mob faster, but you might take a bit more dmg. Uh oh, here comes a second mob you accidentally aggro'd. Do you expedite killing the first guy, and risk taking more dmg, or do you play it safe and risk dealing with two at once? Three? Four?
  • Make combat more cerebral. For example, if fighting a Vampire, have pulling out a wooden stake or sword give a massive bonus to dmg instead of that burly Daedric sword, or for a Werewolf, make this apply to Silver weapons. Make holy water potentially deadly to these creatures. Make staying at distance the only suitable strategy against certain creatures, and staying at range the only viable strategy for others.
  • Make certain creatures weak to fire/ice/whatever, meaningfully. Make certain creatures more intelligent, like humans, for example, and use this to perpetuate the fun of this challenge. Use a Rock-Paper-Scissors effect. Imagine a wizard battle. He throws up an Ice Shield. So you attack him with Fireballs to melt it. The AI reads this. The next shield it spawns is a Rock Shield. This blocks fire without melting. Meanwhile, the defenses you erect the AI tries to read and attack similarly. Lower level creatures take longer to respond to certain disadvantages in combat, or they don't at all. Certain mobs don't have any means to address certain defenses, meaningfully, at all. The challenge is learning their weakness, and then bolstering your abilities/skills that exploit this weakness.
  • Make more intelligent creatures work together more meaningfully to attack you.
  • Take this puzzle aspect to the extreme. For example, say you introduce a Medusa to encounter. Make holding up a mirror the only possible way to kill her, or otherwise make it ridiculously difficult. Some people will just look the answer up online, but the rest of us appreciate this classic tradition from platformers like Zelda. Introduce more side quests with puzzles that require reading of all the great lore in the game to figure out.
  • Introduce creatures that can't move. For example, I always think of that great fight from LOTR where they encounter the Lake Monster. Introduce creatures like that. This way, you have to work towards them while dealing with their tentacles at range. You could place them inside a canyon, for example, that the hero has traverse in order to reach a quest destination, so even though they were immobile, they would be unavoidable (unless a stealthy thief...adding yet more variance to the game). Or have them be creatures on the walls inside of cave ceilings that shoot things at you, and you have to take them out at range. Similarly, think of creatures that only attack from the air.
  • Extend this to travel. For example, certain creatures are better at scaling mountains than others (ex. Cougars vs. Wild Boars). Certain creatures can swim, and others can't. Certain creatures can't tolerate the cold/heat, or the sun/dark, etc.
  • Allow PC gamers more native control over keybinding. Just like in competitive MMO games one should be able to fight in real-time combat with 40+ spells or other actions at his fingertips without pausing combat. This shouldn't be something the modding community adds. It should be built into the game with the expectation that gamers can handle a lot of keybinds to manage combat effectively on the most difficult settings.

Last edited:
TES: Bring back Acrobatics and Speed.

FO: Don't make it another Vault Dweller coming of age story like 1, 3 and to a lesser extent 2.

The one aspect of Fallout 3 that separated it from all the other TES games (and Fallout Vegas) was how rewarding it was to do just exploring.

I'm not sure how to say it, but in Oblivions/Skyrim, each Town was a series of side quests with some mini stories, but there was a similarity of each location. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed all the TES games.

I really got lost in the story at times in Fallout 3, unlike any other game. Wandering around a random Vault, piecing together it's tragic story and finding some weapons/armor/etc whatever near the end that tied it all together.

If they can somehow capture that again in Fallout 4. Maybe it impossible to recreate that atmosphere again without it being too familiar.

So you got lost in the game world, right? You do know that you can beat the game without even speed running in like 10 hours if you just follow the story? Hard to imagine anyone getting lost to that crap.

Otherwise I agree. Fallout 3 was more of a sandbox game than New Vegas which was more story & rpg oriented.

So you got lost in the game world, right? You do know that you can beat the game without even speed running in like 10 hours if you just follow the story? Hard to imagine anyone getting lost to that crap.

Otherwise I agree. Fallout 3 was more of a sandbox game than New Vegas which was more story & rpg oriented.

LOL - You misunderstood me. I didn't get truly lost, like where I didn't know where I was going. Maybe sidetracked is a better word. But some of the best sidequests were the ones that weren't real quests.

I remember one vault that didn't have any quests associated with it. You just picked up bits and pieces from random letters, recordings, computer terminals and by the end of exploring the vault, you knew the tragic events that unfolded there.

It wasn't forced or spoon feed to the player. You could have just blew threw the vault and not bothered. But I got sucked into to some of these distractions unlike any other game I've played.

- More dungeon variety.

- Deeper NPC story lines

- More payoff for dungeon crawling/loot system.

The 3rd is my biggest gripe with both TES and FO. You go from dungeon to dungeon to dungeon and hardy ever find anything worth a damn. I'd really like to see some decent loot or a unique boss every now and then. Just make it interesting.

More unique loot in dungeons would go a long way for me. Like weapons/armor with weird abilities.

And the difficulty has to go up. By midgame I'm a badass and am not afraid of enemies any more.

PS. VATS is awesome, if you don't like it, don't use it. Simple.

Last edited:
For me to be able to get into Fallout the way I got into Skyrim, I need dual wielding and I need cool radiation super powers. I'd also need a map like in Skyrim. Basically Skyrim with guns and VATS.

For Fallout it's the shooting mechanics, no question. I know it's an RPG franchise (and a great one) but if you're also making it an fps, make a good fucking fps please. Give options like auto-aim so the noobs can still enjoy it, and people who play pure FPS can also find satisfying combat.

For TES, they're honestly going in the right direction imo. Make an interesting, divided world. I suppose my fear is that rather than make a larger world, they just add more pixels to a world the same size. Say it quietly, but Skyrim wasn't actually that large a world.

I see on both games my opinion is partly based on Arma, solid shooting mechanics and a huge open world.

Okay, so here's my pitch. Now, I've always been a progressive in the gamer community. I tend to hold that newer games study and improve upon flaws or shortcomings learned from previous masterpieces, and that other technical advancements and historical lessons provide the foundation for a superior future. Obviously some games are utterly timeless and transcend not just their peers, but their period itself. So the real caveat to beware is not learning and building upon these past lessons effectively.

The primary complaint about games like the TES/Witcher and others is the combat. IMO, the problem with games carrying the ambition to achieve complex real-time RPG-style combat is that they've focused too much on YOU, and not enough on your OPPONENT. I think of past classics like Tyson's Punch-Out. The control of Mac was relatively straightforward and simple. up or down dictate head/body with A/B as the left and right hands, respectively. Left/Right would dodge, down with punching would block, and start was the special punch. That was it. Otherwise, the fascinating complexity of the game relied on your opposition, and the learning the keys to reading their attacks, figuring out what to do, then timing it correctly.

• Why not apply this to the next TES combat? Just like certain creatures are faster than others, and I wish they would emphasize that more than they already have, I think some should be much faster and more difficult to block/parry/anticipate in combat than others. Make simple reaction to the attack part of the challenge. However, don't give us the same b-line aggro attack from every creature. Give them little idiosyncrasies that tip off what they're going to do (the same as in Tyson's Punch Out). Make the best counter a certain preemptive attack, or a certain block/parry (high & left, low & left, high & right, low & right), or a dodge, etc. Sometimes he swings with his claw (exposing himself), and you should attack first, but not 100% of the time. Sometimes he spits acid, so you should raise your shield if you're a warrior, or use a special evasive maneuver if you're a thief, or erect a wax shield if you're a mage. Make it so a slash works, but not a stab. That sort of thing.
  • Create variance in these to make it interesting. For example,in Tyson's Punch-Out sometimes an uppercut would come, but not always, so you couldn't be perfect in killing them if you were more aggressive and trying to finish them quickly in Rd 1). Use this to make dealing with swarms of creatures more difficult and interesting. Sure, you could kill that mob faster, but you might take a bit more dmg. Uh oh, here comes a second mob you accidentally aggro'd. Do you expedite killing the first guy, and risk taking more dmg, or do you play it safe and risk dealing with two at once? Three? Four?
  • Make combat more cerebral. For example, if fighting a Vampire, have pulling out a wooden stake or sword give a massive bonus to dmg instead of that burly Daedric sword, or for a Werewolf, make this apply to Silver weapons. Make holy water potentially deadly to these creatures. Make staying at distance the only suitable strategy against certain creatures, and staying at range the only viable strategy for others.
  • Make certain creatures weak to fire/ice/whatever, meaningfully. Make certain creatures more intelligent, like humans, for example, and use this to perpetuate the fun of this challenge. Use a Rock-Paper-Scissors effect. Imagine a wizard battle. He throws up an Ice Shield. So you attack him with Fireballs to melt it. The AI reads this. The next shield it spawns is a Rock Shield. This blocks fire without melting. Meanwhile, the defenses you erect the AI tries to read and attack similarly. Lower level creatures take longer to respond to certain disadvantages in combat, or they don't at all. Certain mobs don't have any means to address certain defenses, meaningfully, at all. The challenge is learning their weakness, and then bolstering your abilities/skills that exploit this weakness.
  • Make more intelligent creatures work together more meaningfully to attack you.
  • Take this puzzle aspect to the extreme. For example, say you introduce a Medusa to encounter. Make holding up a mirror the only possible way to kill her, or otherwise make it ridiculously difficult. Some people will just look the answer up online, but the rest of us appreciate this classic tradition from platformers like Zelda. Introduce more side quests with puzzles that require reading of all the great lore in the game to figure out.
  • Introduce creatures that can't move. For example, I always think of that great fight from LOTR where they encounter the Lake Monster. Introduce creatures like that. This way, you have to work towards them while dealing with their tentacles at range. You could place them inside a canyon, for example, that the hero has traverse in order to reach a quest destination, so even though they were immobile, they would be unavoidable (unless a stealthy thief...adding yet more variance to the game). Or have them be creatures on the walls inside of cave ceilings that shoot things at you, and you have to take them out at range. Similarly, think of creatures that only attack from the air.
  • Extend this to travel. For example, certain creatures are better at scaling mountains than others (ex. Cougars vs. Wild Boars). Certain creatures can swim, and others can't. Certain creatures can't tolerate the cold/heat, or the sun/dark, etc.
  • Allow PC gamers more native control over keybinding. Just like in competitive MMO games one should be able to fight in real-time combat with 40+ spells or other actions at his fingertips without pausing combat. This shouldn't be something the modding community adds. It should be built into the game with the expectation that gamers can handle a lot of keybinds to manage combat effectively on the most difficult settings.

I agree with you on the about the button mashing combat in TES. It would be my only complaint, combat at times felt too easy and/or pointless.

How about a glorious mix of Combat/Monster Design from Dark Souls with the Open World/Story of TES?

Dark Souls had some great Mini-Bosses like you described. I refrained from researching online on how to beat most of them because I wanted to try to figure them out on my own. Lake Hydra - Sif - Giant Lava Monster (Can't remember his name) I did break down and read up on a few of them however. But not before I tried and died several times.

New Vegas was one of my favourite gaming worlds due to feeling like on Old West gunslinger in a post apocolyptic world. Just love that setting so much and I know we won't get it again, with the new game looking likely to be set in Boston. I will still love it, I'm sure. But roaming the desert has a certain appeal to me.

I thought Fallout: NV was a better game than Fallout 3 in many respects. It had better weapons, better storyline, better setting, better game mechanics imo.

Love all the Fallout games and am currently replaying Fallout: Tactics. Its by fay my favorite franchise.

i think they should let ID do the shooting mechanics on Fall out 4. Get rid of the VATS and in vehicles instead of walking everywhere.

Also maybe a new story line completely? Try something new. The whole 1960 "future tech" is kinda boring now

Also have it run on ID Tech 5

Last edited:
I want Fallout 4 to be like Fallout and Fallout 2.

Just play Wasteland 2. Im fine with an open world AAA budget Fallout and another lower budget turn based indie game taking over the "Like Fallout 1 and 2" mantle.

As for what I'd like, really I'd like Bethesdas open worlds to feel more dynamic. Skyrim was a big step in the right direction. Keeping on that course would be great.

Also, Bethesdas needs better writers. Their dialogue tends to be stilted and makes me cringe at times.

Also, smoother animations. Really.

They still havent cracked the combat. Its fine as it is, but it isn't great. More AI/Enemy variance would go a long way for diversity. Not just in type, but tactics and abilities. Seems like everything is either "CHARGE!" or "Range attakcs".

Last edited:
i think they should let ID do the shooting mechanics on Fall out 4. Get rid of the VATS and in vehicles instead of walking everywhere.

Also maybe a new story line completely? Try something new. The whole 1960 "future tech" is kinda boring now

Also have it run on ID Tech 5

They did, the game is called Rage, which I doubt there will be a sequel. It was a very good and underrated game by the way. Doom 4 is apparently more important.
Dont know if Rage was on ID Tech 5.

I really dont understand why some people just cant stand that a game where shooting weapons is a skill you have level up exists. Its not like straight FPS games
dont exist, even post apocalyptic one...

What do I want out of these games...
in general...
I want loot to mean something... a happy middle ground between the loot whoring
in borderlands/diablo and the no loot from dragon age 2 and mass effect 2 and 3.
Good loot should be hard to get and you should feel ecstatic you got it.
I want money to mean something... you go from dirt poor to rich in a very short
period in these games and nothing to spend it on. I like how wasteland 2 has done
this... DA:O also was not bad. You should have lots of choices to spend your money
and all them shouldnt be an option
I dont want DLC... but if they are, make it good... Oblivion and FO3 all had good dlc
FO:NV not so much and I was underwhelmed with skyrim too
I would like to see 2 or 3 or 4 different options for origins, like DA:O that have
atleast some impact on the game
I am a little tired of TES "We need someone to save the world... quick check the prison" as a starting point.

fallout...
I think FO:NV had a lot of good things in it that need to be continued on in the next
one. The FO3 rule set was broken.
I want the super mutant behemoths from FO3 brought back
Hardcore mode from FO:NV needs to be kept
I honestly want a city that hasnt been hit directly by a nuclear bomb so has a lot of
buildings still standing.

TES
I want magic to be something other then a combat mechanic... I want levitation
back... mind reading... be able to control other people or animals
I dont want to have to wait for a follower to catch up to me 1/2 hour later when
Im riding on a horse.
I kinda want fast travel gone... keep the wagons, or bugs from morrowind and
bring back the recall spell from morrowind.
I want my stats back... I didnt like it being compressed into 3 stats
but I dont want to have to use a spreadsheet to maximize my leveling bonus
I want to go back to having only 1 home/house instead of 1 per city
The hearthstone dlc was a good idea but not implemented well

lol it seems people want Skyrim to be Dragon's Dogma (which was a superior game imo).

Last edited:
Back