What was the Sherdog consensus about Diaz vs Silva (Pre-fight)?

fight gets shit on a lot because people were expecting Andy to get Nick out of there in a round but it was actually a close competetive fun fight for 5 rounds, people mad Nick went out and played the game with Anderson

They didn't had to, Diaz lack of volume and aggressiveness against Anderson was the reason he lost to Spider, he was fine standing at Anderson waiting for him, well, Anderson is not a idiot that will bum rush him asking for a counter

So Diaz is supposed to be the idiot and just bum rush Silva, who's forte is counterstriking? Makes a ton of sense.

Thank god you aren't a coach.

He asked PRE-FIGHT you fucking morons.

And the consensus was that Silva was going to kill Nick. Diaz as a pressure boxer was taylor made for Silva to counter. Anderson fought like shit and I think Nick won more rounds that he was given credit for.

And here we have the poster boy for not knowing what the fuck you are talking about.
Diaz clowned Silva and Silva didn't do shit to win that fight.

This fight was shockingly unpopular. I think mostly due to the fact on paper these guys don't match up well. The fight ended up proving it.

The OP asked about pre-fight.

On paper, Silva and Diaz match up very well. Diaz plods forward and throws volume, Silva was an elite counter striker. He's also bigger and longer than Nick.

For all intents and purposes, Nick was supposed to get slaughtered - as he will typically fight people at their strengths (Daley, Noons, Lawler, etc).

What's good for Nick, is that he probably recognized that his flat footed style probably would make him a sitting duck to one of the best strikers to ever grace the octagon, so he did what Cote did, and made Anderson come to him instead of leading. He mocked Silva for only relying on his counter striking and not engaging, when of course Nick wasn't engaging either. Which made for the boring fight.

The point is, I don't think anyone expected Nick to show a little gameplanning, which he did. It would've been stupid for him to try and implement his regular style.

This fight was shockingly unpopular. I think mostly due to the fact on paper these guys don't match up well. The fight ended up proving it. Neither of these guys are risk takers likes Georges.
GSP a risk taker? Lol, quite the opposite.

Diaz was uncharacteristicly timid. I enjoyed the blame being put on Anderson who did what he always does. Not lead

He asked PRE-FIGHT you fucking morons.

And the consensus was that Silva was going to kill Nick. Diaz as a pressure boxer was taylor made for Silva to counter. Anderson fought like shit and I think Nick won more rounds that he was given credit for.

Exactly.

Everyone bitches at Diaz for not engaging, as if he was just supposed to plod forward and get murdered by a countering Silva.

On paper, Silva and Diaz match up very well. Diaz plods forward and throws volume, Silva was an elite counter striker. He's also bigger and longer than Nick.

Nick's volume is over rated. He's not going to engage in poor positions. Neither is Silva. Diaz doesn't throw volume in the center of the cage, if he gets his opponent against the cage he will but it's obvious he wouldn't be able to put Silva there.

So Nick won't get in position to be aggressive, therefore Anderson has nothing to work with.

This turned out exactly how a lot of guys predicted, a lot of sparring and funny faces.

Nick's volume is over rated. He's not going to engage in poor positions. Neither is Silva. Diaz doesn't throw volume in the center of the cage, if he gets his opponent against the cage he will but it's obvious he wouldn't be able to put Silva there.

So Nick won't get in position to be aggressive, therefore Anderson has nothing to work with.

This turned out exactly how a lot of guys predicted, a lot of sparring and funny faces.

Nick may not throw volume unless he has someone against the cage, which may have been predicted, but the point is that he leads. He didn't do that this time.

Nick may not throw volume unless he has someone against the cage, which may have been predicted, but the point is that he leads. He didn't do that this time.

I doubt anyone expected Nick to lead Anderson into bad positions.

It's another example that the most hyped fights often turn out to be the worst fights.

Should have been one of the greatest fights we'd ever seen, in theory. Instead it was a lot of clowning and goofing, and a lot of hesitation and a lot of regret.

Back