Which gaming console should I get?

You sound pretty casual about it, so I'd grab a last gen system for dirt cheap, with a few notable titles. They've still got all the extra shit you're looking for too, like Netflix, Youtube and whatnot. PS3 is probably the best bet, since it's online functionality is free, and it has the better exclusives since most of the 360's exclusives went multi-platform, except for Gears Of War and Halo.

If you want a new one, PS4 is the best of the bunch. Although, if you're buying it for your kids to play, you might want to consider a Switch.

Any Gamers on SD want to give advice on which console I should get. I'm on holidays now and feel like playing some games. Also I want to use for Netflix and youtube and music. I have kids too so should have a good selection for young kids as well as adults.

Whats your pick?

Thanks

If you got a 4k TV and want to maximise it get the latest xbox.

If you want more 1st party releases and a nicer UI go with the latest ps4.

Really just get what your friends use tho.

I have a ps4 and switch.. Like both but switch is newer so not many games but probably better for kids.

PC would be my recommendation. The only thing that I miss on the PC is just sports games. My XBOX 360 was just for Fight Night games.

I don't know why they quit releasing Madden for PC. They were doing it for awhile and they were good ports.

Emulators will play PS2 Madden 13 well. Emulators are 4-5 years typically from consoles. That will probably become less and less since the newer consoles are basically stripped down PCs. XBOX One can run 360 games so a PC should be able do anything the 360 did with ease.

He said console. Did you even read the op?

(you get much better value for money off a console, top PC is how I roll but ps4 is a pleasure and it's good how everything works without messing with settings, remembering a million passwords and paying big bucks)

Blah blah blah console peasantry

get a PS4

I see what you're saying, but why not be a first mover? The first iPhone sucked compared to todays tech, but it was still cool.

Because the first iPhone, while not as good as the ones we have now, was applicable and worth using. No one I knew with their first gen iPhones decided to revert back to their flip phones and leave their iPhones collecting dusts on shelves. This was indicative of Apple releasing a product that was fully ready for the consumer.

Gaming VR is still clunky, buggy, expensive (for what you're getting), and most importantly, not generally regarded as fun.

Simply put; the technology is still not here. Maybe soon.

Ask your kids what they want.

Blah blah blah console peasantry

get a PS4
We%252Bre%252Bstill%252Bthe%252Bmaster%252Brace_9a4391_5030933.gif

Get a PS4 for youself. Get the wii U or switch for the kiddos.

that way, they'll leave you alone when you're running over whores and killing cops in GTA

I like how sherdog has a video game forum...

He said console. Did you even read the op?

(you get much better value for money off a console, top PC is how I roll but ps4 is a pleasure and it's good how everything works without messing with settings, remembering a million passwords and paying big bucks)

No. You can build a PS4 or XBOX capable rig for the same with off the shelf parts. I saw a guy do it on you tube. PS4 and XBOX aren't losing money on each unit.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/171158-can-you-build-a-gaming-pc-better-than-the-ps4-for-400
You can get a good xbox 360 bundle with a few games under $40 at gamestop. I think this better suits you judging by your OP.
It has everything you want in HD.

I think a new thread should be made about this. From a cost point of view, almost no entertainment cheaper than last generation games. As long as you don't get into stuff that is old enough to be valuable for nostalgic reasons (near all has been emulated), old gaming is incredibly cheap.

Graphics are the worst definers of a good game in my humble opinion. Everytime, I have upgraded to a newer rig, I have been blown away by the graphics for about a month and then I quit giving a shit. I care more about frame rate than anything. Even at that, I have a lot of games that are 20 years old that I have near 1000 hours on. Railroad Tycoon 2 is my go to sandbox world game for awhile. There is enough meat on it that I have to work hard to get gold level. Even at that. my 5 year old rig with graphics card that is worth like $10-20 dollars now still maxes out Rainbow Six Siege and Metro Redux.

The biggest difference I find in newer games in comparison to older games is the greater dependence on multiplayer and the expense of single player. There are fewer games that are geared towards the single player experience as before. There are exceptions. The Fallout series and others like it are tremendous in this regard. The part that is disappointing is that the funding is there to make incredible worlds but there isn't as much emphasis on in that regard. All this funding has allowed for games to be opened up with more paths that were just not do able in older games. That said, with an older generation you could literally be playing a new game nearly every few days if you so desire and good games, not junk.

I say you should Switch it up a little bit.
Not only will you get a home console experience that is kid friendly, you can also game on the go with the same device.

XBOX One is the best deal.

EA Access- for $30 a year you get 55 (and growing) of EA's games, plus 9 hours of demos for all of their new titles.

Game Pass is $10 a month and is like a Netflix gaming service with 140 (and growing) downloadable games.

XBOX live offers 4 free games a month

You can play emulators through the browser.

You can share digital games with other consoles

There is a huge library of backwards compatible games

You can wirelessly stream it through you're laptop via built in Windows 10 app

Better Controller IMO

The $500 Xbox One X is the most powerful console on the market and would take around $1500 to build a PC that is capable of what XB1X does.

Last edited:
Make a list of games you might want to play and see which platform supports the most.

Back