Why is 28 Days later so special?

I thought it was good for about an hour and then kind of went to shit after that, like every Danny Boyle film I've seen.

The Beyond is prob my favourite ever zombie flick

Tranny-zombie forced sex?

28 Days Later is by far the most realistic and conceivable 'zombie' film ever made and for many reasons, it is also original and changes your perception of it happening.

How many times have you heard someone say 'Oh, i'd love a zombie outbreak like Dawn of the Dead so I could go to a shopping mall or bash some zombies in gamer style' i'm guessing alot? Well how many times have you ever heard 'i'd love to be in the 28 Days Later universe'? Yeah, never.

It's fucked up and depressing, parents ripping their children's faces off, the infected aren't hungry for brains they want to pull your tongue out and cough blond into your eyes so you then turn into a rage infested animal and want to rip someone else's face off.

They also got the tone perfect, a grey, dark feel that when watching you felt there was no happy ending or silver lining, everything was fucked and just being there would make you wanna hide under a bed forever because these things don't claw at glass windows like normal zombies they chew threw the thing to get you, they will tear walls down and rip doors of hinges if they know you are inside, there is NO escape and they are relentless.

For me the film fell flat at the end, I find it stupid that army soldiers living in a post apocalyptic Britain would be so quick to want to rape any women they come in contact with especially one being about 13, it kinda lost me there like come on? Really? Everyone you know and love is dead but you are to horny to care. It also made soldiers live upto the stereo type of being heartless thugs who rape women and beat people.

It was also kinda silly how like 1 or 2 infected took out a team of trained soldiers with rifles in a house, that should not have been possible.

Overall though it is the best film in the zombie genre by far for me.

The opener with him waking up in a hospital and going out to an abandoned London is awesome and terrifying.

Fast zombies were also new and equally terrifying.

I thought all the acting performances were really good too... subtle, but powerful. I especially loved Brendan Gleeson in this one. The part where the blood drips in his eye, awesome scene.

28 Weeks Later is also a great sequel. A lot scarier imo and one of my favorite opening scenes ever. I recall a lot of people on Sherdog hating on it so surprised to see people saying they liked it more than 28 Days.

It and 28 Weeks Later are head and shoulders above any other zombie films I've ever seen. It's properly credited with popularizing the "fast zombie" (often wrongly attributed to the Dawn of the Dead remake) but the key to both 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later are the characters and acting. Between the two, you have Cillian Murphy, Brendan Gleeson, Catherine McCormack and Robert Carlyle (among others) doing serious work as well-written characters, several orders of magnitude better than the silliness we're used to seeing as zombies trudge forward with their arms stretched out.

The clip above is like a high school theater project compared to what was accomplished in 28 Days / Weeks Later.

Yeah the beginning of 28 Weeks Later is great, although it falls off hard after that in my opinion.

Speaking of which, the opening 10 minutes of the Dawn Of The Dead remake is arguably the best 10 minutes of any zombie movie, ever. If it had actually maintained that level of quality throughout the rest of the film it would be the GOAT.
Couldn't agree more. That start of the remake is the best sequence in zombie movie history.

The zombies in Train To Busan were the most roided zombies I have ever seen as well as the ones in Day of the Dead remake.

28 days later was very unique and innovative when it came out, but it's been copied so much that it seems rather ordinary now.

People like it because they remember how great it WAS not how great it is currently.

It and 28 Weeks Later are head and shoulders above any other zombie films I've ever seen. It's properly credited with popularizing the "fast zombie" (often wrongly attributed to the Dawn of the Dead remake) but the key to both 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later are the characters and acting. Between the two, you have Cillian Murphy, Brendan Gleeson, Catherine McCormack and Robert Carlyle (among others) doing serious work as well-written characters, several orders of magnitude better than the silliness we're used to seeing as zombies trudge forward with their arms stretched out.

The clip above is like a high school theater project compared to what was accomplished in 28 Days / Weeks Later.

i might have to watch that again.

When the movie came out, my stepdad and I (both big horror fans) went to see it in theaters and to this day, it's the only movie I've ever walked out of. That shit is just bad.
28 weeks later.
Die Hard 4 aka True Lies aka Under Siege 2.

It captured the desolation of a wiped out population in a post-apocalypse film better than most movies in that genre.

200w.gif

It really felt like there was no one left.

200w.gif

It also had a realism and seriousness about it instead of being campy, that made it more impactful when a character you were following would get infected and turn.

200w.gif

I don't know if it's my favorite zombie flick, but it's great.

200w.gif

The recent Train To Busan was also awesome.

giphy.gif

It captured the desolation of a wiped out population in a post-apocalypse film better than most movies in that genre. It really felt like there was no one left. It also had a realism and seriousness about it instead of being campy, that made it more impactful when a character you were following would get infected and turn.

I don't know if it's my favorite zombie flick, but it's great. The recent Train To Busan was also awesome.
Finally some sanity up in herre

Funny you mention that too....

The first 20 minutes of that film is probably one of the best openings of any horror film
bro... when the dad is running away from the house after abandoning his wife. hes running and running and that music is blaring. the zombies start running over the hill towards him. shit was insane and easily my favorite scene from any zombie film

If we're going to count diseases as zombie movies, The Crazies is a vastly superior movie.

Shaun of the Dead or Train to Busan are my two favorite zombie films. Train to Busan was fantastic and if you haven't seen it you need to.

28 Days later was good in my opinion, but nothing about it makes it better than the top tier zombie flicks out there.
Train to Busan was garbage and I will fight you if you disagree.

@BisexualMMA and @Midnighter. Train To Busan is awesome. What the hell is wrong with you two?

I found the tone to be all over the place. Too silly to take remotely serious as scary or to induce any emotional investment in the characters. By the time people were making sacrifices and so on, it was meaningless, not to mention the threat level / capabilities of the zombies varied wildly from scene to scene. The zombie extras were truly terrible in some scenes.

I get that a lot of people like it. I really haven't connected with any of the big recent Korean films. I think these directors are just on a completely different wavelength that doesn't appeal to me.

They might execute their vision perfectly, but even so, it was something I was never going to connect with. Plus I find the social commentary to be extremely on the nose and hamhanded.

I found the tone to be all over the place. Too silly to take remotely serious as scary or to induce any emotional investment in the characters. By the time people were making sacrifices and so on, it was meaningless, not to mention the threat level / capabilities of the zombies varied wildly from scene to scene. The zombie extras were truly terrible in some scenes.

I get that a lot of people like it. I really haven't connected with any of the big recent Korean films. I think these directors are just on a completely different wavelength that doesn't appeal to me.

They might execute their vision perfectly, but even so, it was something I was never going to connect with. Plus I find the social commentary to be extremely on the nose and hamhanded.

I appreciate the honesty and clarity of your explanation but I still vote that you be kicked out of the sherdog zombie club until you fall in love with all things Train to Busan.

Back