Why The Selective Outrage Over Belal Muhammad Not Getting a Title Shot?

I represent the people I also was speaking with back in the day because I was there, and you apparently weren't, but still decided to speak on behalf of first.

I think Wonderboy had a long cemented position in the ranks, unlike strawweight, which had a lot of newer fighters, and a high rate of turnover and meaningless numbers next to their names. He had fought for the title twice, and Burns was a contender too, even pretty recently. They KEPT themselves at the top with repeated wins (like how Waterson had repeatedly proven herself to be the back half of the top 10 in her old age, but yeah, great win for Rodriguez, bud..). Compare that to Xioanan who fought her way to an eliminator and just lost. She was still only freshly in the rankings, and was on the backstep, so there's no reason to think her fight against Marina would have been an eliminator. Again, the Burns fight was specifically called that.

But talking about fresh faces instead of "old" contenders who apparently no one can beat, but them being old means they don't count for some reason: take 2 surging fighters they both fought. Sean Brady was on a 5 fight win streak vs Ribas, who was on 4, but Brady still had 10 pre-UFC fighters under his belt, vs Ribas who came in only at 6-1. That's the different in the experience level you get in the two divisions. The surging fresh faced hot streak in the UFC has twice the win streak Ribas did

You could have just written:

" Belal beating a bunch of old dudes is more impressive than Marina beating a bunch of younger contenders she was favored to lose too"

Instead of trying to pretend it is only about meritocracy.

You could have just written:

" Belal beating a bunch of old dudes is more impressive than Marina beating a bunch of younger contenders she was favored to lose too"

Instead of trying to pretend it is only about meritocracy.
First off, you're the one who started this thread off comparing meritocracy. Secondly, odds don't fucking matter at all, they're marketing tools. Thirdly, if they did matter, Belal was the underdog against Wonderboy, Luque, Brady, and Burns while Marina was favored over Waterson and Yan.

Also, I pointed out a lot of people that you apparently weren't paying attention to. See, we were both in the same threads back then, but I guess I recognized that people had the same argument as me. Maybe you're just suffering from a victim complex which makes you think you were alone then.

I see a lot of folks outraged that the UFC have not yet guaranteed Belal Muhammad a title shot, on the basis of “meritocracy”, but these same outraged fans didn’t say a peep about Marina Rodriguez not getting a title shot after arguably cleaning out the strawweight division last year. The UFC made Rodriguez continue to fight contenders, until they found one who was able to beat her, and then immediately gave that contender (Amanda Lemos) a title shot.

Rodriguez defeated Amanda Ribas (then #10), Michelle Waterson-Gomez (then #9), Tecia Torres (then #8), Mackenzie Dern (then #4), and Yan Xiaonan (then #4); she had wins over five Top 10 ranked fighters, headlined multiple fight nights, and never received a title shot. Whereas Belal beat Demian Maia (then #9) in his retirement fight, Sean Brady (then #8), Stephen Thomson (then #5), Vicente Luque (then #5), and Gilbert Burns (then #5); the exact same number of Top 10 wins as Marina Rodriguez.

I would argue Rodriguez’s opponents had more momentum going into their fights with her, but more importantly she had the exact same number of Top 10 wins as Belal yet there was no outrage when she didn’t receive a title shot. So why would it be such a tremendous injustice if Belal did not receive the next title shot, when Rodriguez very recently did not receive one despite being just as deserving, and you have an undefeated contender with all finishes like Shavkat waiting in the wings?
Well for starters you're including fights that werent part of her win streak. She lost to Esparza after beating Torres. Belal is on a 9 fight win streak, Rodriguez was on a 4 fight win streak.

She didn't get a title shot after beating Xiaonan because (1) it was a split decision that most people think she lost and (2) Esparza was ahead of her in the rankings and beat Xiaonan more impressively.

Well for starters you're including fights that werent part of her win streak. She lost to Esparza after beating Torres. Belal is on a 9 fight win streak, Rodriguez was on a 4 fight win streak.

She didn't get a title shot after beating Xiaonan because (1) it was a split decision that most people think she lost and (2) Esparza was ahead of her in the rankings and beat Xiaonan more impressively.

By these standards isn't Belal also technically only on a four fight win streak, since you want to be really meticulous about it, given he had that NC against Leon where he couldn't continue?

I see a lot of folks outraged that the UFC have not yet guaranteed Belal Muhammad a title shot, on the basis of “meritocracy”, but these same outraged fans didn’t say a peep about Marina Rodriguez not getting a title shot after arguably cleaning out the strawweight division last year. The UFC made Rodriguez continue to fight contenders, until they found one who was able to beat her, and then immediately gave that contender (Amanda Lemos) a title shot.

Rodriguez defeated Amanda Ribas (then #10), Michelle Waterson-Gomez (then #9), Tecia Torres (then #8), Mackenzie Dern (then #4), and Yan Xiaonan (then #4); she had wins over five Top 10 ranked fighters, headlined multiple fight nights, and never received a title shot. Whereas Belal beat Demian Maia (then #9) in his retirement fight, Sean Brady (then #8), Stephen Thomson (then #5), Vicente Luque (then #5), and Gilbert Burns (then #5); the exact same number of Top 10 wins as Marina Rodriguez.

I would argue Rodriguez’s opponents had more momentum going into their fights with her, but more importantly she had the exact same number of Top 10 wins as Belal yet there was no outrage when she didn’t receive a title shot. So why would it be such a tremendous injustice if Belal did not receive the next title shot, when Rodriguez very recently did not receive one despite being just as deserving, and you have an undefeated contender with all finishes like Shavkat waiting in the wings?

Who the fuck cares about WUFC? Maria Rodriguez??
<FookIsThatGuy>

You make a good argument but I choose to still be outraged.

Outrage? you mean the under the average amount of people asking about a title shot for him?

other then that no one talks about it which is nice

Imagine your gimmick being related to people who blow themselves up on purpose

Amanda Lemos was 7-1 with a lone loss to Andrade.
Rodriguez was on a similar streak except her last loss was to Esparza who took that shot in her place via a similar streak, being an ex champ and head to head win.
They got Weili straight back in there with a win over Joanna with Rose out of the picture.
Rodriguez will get a similar shot with a win or 2 from here, because the division is pretty lacking.

Belal has avenged one of his 3 losses and is on a 9 fight win streak including all those ranked wins. It's not really comparable.

The first fight was a stinker, saved by the eye poke to get us out early <Lmaoo>

Why anyone in their right mind wants to watch part 2 of that is beyond me^^

I don't remember it being a stinker. I remember Leon picking Belal apart. I should probably rewatch it either way.

Because we don't care about wmma /THREAD

1) four fight win streak vs 9 fight win streak
2) Marina had a title eliminator vs Lemos and Lost.
3) Nobody gets Outraged about WMMA.

Stop making sh!t up

Last edited:
This is hilarious. You think Belal beating a 44 year old Demian Maia in his retirement fight, 38 year old Wonderboy, and 36 year old Gilbert Burns, all by decision, is more impressive than Marina beating a string of younger contenders she was favored to lose too?

Also, who is "they" lmao, if you mean yourself then say that instead of pretending you represent everyone. Unless you also represent the virgin dudes in this thread pretending to not know who Rodriguez is.
First off you seem to have not gotten the whole nobody cares about WMMA message.

Secondly Wonderboy still seems to be top notch despite his age, still just as fast.

Also why are you saying 36 for Burns like that's ancient lol, depending on the fighter they could still he in their prime. Gilbert has shown zero signs of decline.

Unbeaten in his last 10 fights with the only blemish being a nc to the current champ. Beat Maia, Luque, Burns, Wonderboy and Brady. Brady had a ton of hype before the Belal fight but after Belal beat his ass people started saying he was a scrub but look what he did in his next fight.

Also since you are mentioning WMMA, name 1 WMMa fighter that has went 10 straight fights in the UFC without losing and didn't get a title shot... I'll wait.

Edit: her big win streak was only 4 fights with the last one being a split decision.. None of those 4 opponents have ever even fought for the belt before.

Belal beat Wonderboy who fought for the belt twice, Maia who fought for belts in 2 weight classes, Burns who fought for the belt... Then Also the NC with Leon which was Leon's fault so... I don't see how Rodriguez is even remotely comparable.... Belal is the clear contender, who did Rodriguez beat that was so impressive?

Last edited:
Back