Why The Selective Outrage Over Belal Muhammad Not Getting a Title Shot?

By these standards isn't Belal also technically only on a four fight win streak, since you want to be really meticulous about it, given he had that NC against Leon where he couldn't continue?
10 fight  unbeaten streak is what matters, since draws don't set you back. That's not being really meticulous, it's you being willfully obtuse.

You make a good argument but I choose to still be outraged.
No he doesn't

I see a lot of folks outraged that the UFC have not yet guaranteed Belal Muhammad a title shot, on the basis of “meritocracy”, but these same outraged fans didn’t say a peep about Marina Rodriguez not getting a title shot after arguably cleaning out the strawweight division last year. The UFC made Rodriguez continue to fight contenders, until they found one who was able to beat her, and then immediately gave that contender (Amanda Lemos) a title shot.

Rodriguez defeated Amanda Ribas (then #10), Michelle Waterson-Gomez (then #9), Tecia Torres (then #8), Mackenzie Dern (then #4), and Yan Xiaonan (then #4); she had wins over five Top 10 ranked fighters, headlined multiple fight nights, and never received a title shot. Whereas Belal beat Demian Maia (then #9) in his retirement fight, Sean Brady (then #8), Stephen Thomson (then #5), Vicente Luque (then #5), and Gilbert Burns (then #5); the exact same number of Top 10 wins as Marina Rodriguez.

I would argue Rodriguez’s opponents had more momentum going into their fights with her, but more importantly she had the exact same number of Top 10 wins as Belal yet there was no outrage when she didn’t receive a title shot. So why would it be such a tremendous injustice if Belal did not receive the next title shot, when Rodriguez very recently did not receive one despite being just as deserving, and you have an undefeated contender with all finishes like Shavkat waiting in the wings?

<This7>
Fight is bullshit. Marina Rodriguez deserves the shot.

<WellThere>

Give belal his ts already, come on
He used to be a boring fighter, but a silent guy. Whne he decided to start talking he became double boring
Let him lose so his name can be deleted

@UFCIsNOTRigged I brought this to everyone's attention way back! ;)

I don't remember it being a stinker. I remember Leon picking Belal apart. I should probably rewatch it either way.
I watched it recently, and I'll admit I was only looking for the spot in the first round where Leon poked him the first time, not just the fight ending one in the second round, but all I saw was that Belal was rocked once, I think mid-to-late round, but was recovered fairly quickly and Leon just ended the round strong too. Then the second round was negligible since nothing happened.

I don't remember it being a stinker. I remember Leon picking Belal apart. I should probably rewatch it either way.
Belal mysteriously decided not to attempt any takedowns, and choose to stand and bang with a much better striker.

Hopefully he had some sort of game plan like tire Leon out in the first couple rounds then takeover with his superior cardio and start taking him down and controlling him against the cage or something, otherwise he's got no chance.

Colby getting a shot made no sense but its hardly the worst someone has been overlooked. Khabib got bullshitted out for Conor who hadn't even fought in the UFC at 155 for fuck sake. I doubt its even top 10.

Comparatively, many people have used the argument that Belal shouldn’t get the TS because he’s boring. And while I agree that he isn’t very entertaining, I’d like to know where this argument was when they gave Colby the TS? Colby isn’t exactly Justin Gaethje in the cage.

I legit don't even know who Marina Rodriguez is.

I see a lot of folks outraged that the UFC have not yet guaranteed Belal Muhammad a title shot, on the basis of “meritocracy”, but these same outraged fans didn’t say a peep about Marina Rodriguez not getting a title shot after arguably cleaning out the strawweight division last year. The UFC made Rodriguez continue to fight contenders, until they found one who was able to beat her, and then immediately gave that contender (Amanda Lemos) a title shot.

Rodriguez defeated Amanda Ribas (then #10), Michelle Waterson-Gomez (then #9), Tecia Torres (then #8), Mackenzie Dern (then #4), and Yan Xiaonan (then #4); she had wins over five Top 10 ranked fighters, headlined multiple fight nights, and never received a title shot. Whereas Belal beat Demian Maia (then #9) in his retirement fight, Sean Brady (then #8), Stephen Thomson (then #5), Vicente Luque (then #5), and Gilbert Burns (then #5); the exact same number of Top 10 wins as Marina Rodriguez.

I would argue Rodriguez’s opponents had more momentum going into their fights with her, but more importantly she had the exact same number of Top 10 wins as Belal yet there was no outrage when she didn’t receive a title shot. So why would it be such a tremendous injustice if Belal did not receive the next title shot, when Rodriguez very recently did not receive one despite being just as deserving, and you have an undefeated contender with all finishes like Shavkat waiting in the wings?

Who cares about Belial and her WMMA?

10 fight  unbeaten streak is what matters, since draws don't set you back. That's not being really meticulous, it's you being willfully obtuse.

No he doesn't

No he doesn't
If I'm being honest, I really didn't think too deeply about his argument. I generally believe in the UFC that Dana gives fighters that he likes or are popular title shots and/or easier roads to title shots. I also think the reverse is true. The outraged part is me having a little fun. I love the sport but I prefer for the best to fight the best. I don't really care about the personality and persona stuff. I think Belal deserves the shot but if he doesn't get it, i'll be ok.

It's already been broken down in a far more sophisticated way than I'm willing to do. So to sum it up: Belal Muhammed was in top 10 bouts for his last six fights. He defeated 3 former title challengers and hasn't lost in his last 10 fights, with a no contest against the current champion.
Marina was 6-1-2 (draws) since entering the promotion. They both only had 1 finish during this stretch.

The call out for Marina getting a title shot was there, but there was also an equal demand for Lemos. Belal was legitimately the only top contender with Khamzat moving up and Shavkat not being in the top 5 until recently.

Asking "Why the selective outrage about..." anything in the current state of the world is an effort in futility.

It's already been broken down in a far more sophisticated way than I'm willing to do. So to sum it up: Belal Muhammed was in top 10 bouts for his last six fights. He defeated 3 former title challengers and hasn't lost in his last 10 fights, with a no contest against the current champion.
Marina was 6-1-2 (draws) since entering the promotion. They both only had 1 finish during this stretch.

The call out for Marina getting a title shot was there, but there was also an equal demand for Lemos. Belal was legitimately the only top contender with Khamzat moving up and Shavkat not being in the top 5 until recently.

And as I pointed out earlier, there was a more deserving contender ahead of Marina. Esparza was on a longer win streak and also had a win over Marina as part of that win streak.

Belal arguably was a more deserving contender than Leon himself.

And as I pointed out earlier, there was a more deserving contender ahead of Marina. Esparza was on a longer win streak and also had a win over Marina as part of that win streak.

The actual simple fact is Rodriguez had a 4 fight win streak and got a #1 contender fight which she lost. Her opponent then got a title shot. The issue is Belal won a fight and the winner was to be next in line. He even weighed in as the back up which is all Colby had to do to get his 4th undeserved title shot FFS!

@UFCIsNOTRigged I brought this to everyone's attention way back! ;)

Respect to both of you.

The actual simple fact is Rodriguez had a 4 fight win streak and got a #1 contender fight which she lost. Her opponent then got a title shot. The issue is Belal won a fight and the winner was to be next in line. He even weighed in as the back up which is all Colby had to do to get his 4th undeserved title shot FFS!

So let me get this straight. It is your contention that Rodriguez, who had wins over half of the top 10, didn't deserve a title shot but to instead to be placed in a "title eliminator" with a fighter on a one fight win streak? The fight also didn't become a title eliminator until AFTER Marina lost its convenient how you left that part out.

you are embarrassing yourself.

There was absolutely no demand for Lemos, who was on a 1 fight win streak to get a title shot, you pulled that out of thin air.

But since that is all totally legitimate from your pov what would be the problem with Belal having a title eliminator with a more marketable fighter on a one fight winning streak, like Vicente Luque, while Shavkat gets the next title shot?

Carla got her title shot in May 2022. Lemos and Rodriguez fought in November 2022 a week before Esparza lost her belt to Weili.

By all means explain to me why Weili was more deserving than Rodriguez.

I cant tell if you are trolling or just obtuse.

Back