Why The Selective Outrage Over Belal Muhammad Not Getting a Title Shot?

So let me get this straight. It is your contention that Rodriguez, who had wins over half of the top 10, didn't deserve a title shot but to instead to be placed in a "title eliminator" with a fighter on a one fight win streak? The fight also didn't become a title eliminator until AFTER Marina lost its convenient how you left that part out.

you are embarrassing yourself.
I assure you I am not embarrassed. Was Lemos vs Rodriguez not a #1 contender match?
You are wound up about this WMMA fighter for some reason and frankly I don't care or remember if it was officially booked as a #1 contender match but she was booked in it and she lost.

Belal was on a 9 fight unbeaten streak and had a #1 contender match and he won.

Your comparison of Marina being more deserving of a title shot then Belal is simply invalid on its face. If you want to say she deserves a title shot fine. Why is Belal your baseline you want to compare her with? Also please note I never said Marina did not deserve a title shot as you claimed. I stated your comparison of her situation and Belal's was wrong and it simply is a fact.

And as I pointed out earlier, there was a more deserving contender ahead of Marina. Esparza was on a longer win streak and also had a win over Marina as part of that win streak.

Belal arguably was a more deserving contender than Leon himself.
There was a time at which after Carla won the belt that Marina should pretty clearly have been next. People were using the "The Yan fight was too close" logic to deny Marina while ignoring what a robbery Carla over Marina was.

BUT that window of time AND that clarity were both miniscule in comparison to Belal getting screwed here. Marina should have been number 1 cuz there were no meritous eliminators, whereas Belal should be next now and should have been next after his last win

Leon was piecing him up, his win streak is 5 in reality.

Leon dominated for 5 minutes, thats what we do know.
A 10-9 "domination" in one round (that Leon fouled him in) of a 5 round fight?

I suppose getting rocked exactly one time means he automatically lost the fight then

Marina definitely got screwed and it did bother me at the time. She is one of the best strikers in WMMA and consistently entertaining to watch but doesn't have much in terms of looks or personality. It's pretty obvious Dana wants one of the Chinese girls or Rose as strawweight champion

yeah and no one cares about Belal Muhammad.

Making his argument, just as strong as yours.
If that was my only point maybe but it wasn't. Also there are levels, Belal is somebody that isn't that popular but fighting in a popular division. Rodriguez isn't popular nor is her division or WMMA in general. Also Belal has 5x as many IG followers if that means anything.

The WMMA thing is the weakest of the points I made. Much bigger win streak and beating several title challengers makes him way more deserving of a TS than she ever was.

[There was absolutely no demand for Lemos, who was on a 1 fight win streak to get a title shot, you pulled that out of thin air.

But since that is all totally legitimate from your pov what would be the problem with Belal having a title eliminator with a more marketable fighter on a one fight winning streak, like Vicente Luque, while Shavkat gets the next title shot?]
Lemos was on a 1 fight streak after previous losing to Andrade, the former champion of the division who had just challenged the division up. Prior to that she had won 5 straight only losing in her debut.

I'm sorry if you don't recall her getting the hype for a title shot by fans and the promotion. That's really not our fault that you're not as clued in as you like to believe.

Why should Belal have to once again fight for a title shot when Dana previously said he was the top contender? When Dana previously stated being the backup for a title fight meant you were next in line?
How does Belal being the top contender with a better resume than the reigning champion for over a year find himself in a title eliminator with a fighter that said in early 2023 he wanted to wait?

How and why are you trying to compare rising contenders at the same time to the established contender and the new guy?
You've called others on here obtuse for disagreeing with your non existent point while ignoring everything pointed out to you.

I see a lot of folks outraged that the UFC have not yet guaranteed Belal Muhammad a title shot, on the basis of “meritocracy”, but these same outraged fans didn’t say a peep about Marina Rodriguez not getting a title shot after arguably cleaning out the strawweight division last year. The UFC made Rodriguez continue to fight contenders, until they found one who was able to beat her, and then immediately gave that contender (Amanda Lemos) a title shot.

Rodriguez defeated Amanda Ribas (then #10), Michelle Waterson-Gomez (then #9), Tecia Torres (then #8), Mackenzie Dern (then #4), and Yan Xiaonan (then #4); she had wins over five Top 10 ranked fighters, headlined multiple fight nights, and never received a title shot. Whereas Belal beat Demian Maia (then #9) in his retirement fight, Sean Brady (then #8), Stephen Thomson (then #5), Vicente Luque (then #5), and Gilbert Burns (then #5); the exact same number of Top 10 wins as Marina Rodriguez.

I would argue Rodriguez’s opponents had more momentum going into their fights with her, but more importantly she had the exact same number of Top 10 wins as Belal yet there was no outrage when she didn’t receive a title shot. So why would it be such a tremendous injustice if Belal did not receive the next title shot, when Rodriguez very recently did not receive one despite being just as deserving, and you have an undefeated contender with all finishes like Shavkat waiting in the wings?
In both cases I forgot their name.

Back