Wonderboy wants oblique kicks banned - blames them for MCL Tear

Wonderboys's frustrations makes sense but I just don't think MMA can afford to eliminate fundamental strikes or try to sanitize it more. We have USADA along with committed, sometimes overzealous commissions trying to keep it safety oriented and going any further could shed the core appeal. Oblique kicks are standard Muay Thai techniques and so it just isn't in the same spirit as head butts or groin shots or 12-6 elbows.

Timed jabs can fracture your orbital
Knees can fracture your skull
It’s a fight man, there are a lot of strikes that can end a career, eez normal.

Knees fracturing skulls is a freak occurance. Whereas oblique kicks are meant to thrash someones knee.

Knee injuries are usually the culprit for fighter injuries or careers going to shit. Look at some great fighters that are a shell of their former selves because of knee injuries. Do we really need fighters to start stomping on them, cutting careers even shorter? And its not like it'll take the fun out of the sport if they prohibit it.

of course he wants them banned, then his side stance is less assailable

and i dont like his argument about there just thrown to hurt an opponent, its a fight they are supposed to try and hurt each other well except for point fighters who want techniques taken out of the game to help themselves

I agree, its a dick move

6nMm8q6.gif

Compare the amount (and severity) of knee injuries to those kicks to any other strike in MMA.

Oblique kicks are foul, ill intentioned, techniques that can ruin someone's career or at the very least take them out of commission for very long stretches of time.

And before anyone quotes me about any strike being dangerous, no other strike takes you out for this long. You can turn around from a KO in a short as 2 months. Broken ribs will take you out for maybe 3 months. Knee injuries can take you out for years.

You can lessen knee injuries by banning oblique kicks. This lets you fighters spend more time in the cage then they do in the hospital. It also keeps they in peak condition, as knee injuries can permanently effect a fighters ability in the cage.
Not always ill intentioned. I threw one by accident in sparring out of instinct. It's a very easy kick to throw if someone squares up. The anti muay thai weapon. I felt terrible and apologized profusely keeping all my kicks high after that.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/6/...stephen-thompson-mcl-injury-darren-till-fight

648115504.jpg.0.jpg

You know I tore my MCL in the fight with Till. We did an MRI and thankfully nothing else was damaged. No surgery is required for this injury but I have to give it at least eight weeks to heal properly before I can get back to training.

I honestly think that strike should be made illegal. It could end somebody’s career. You know Robert Whittaker had to have ACL surgery following his first fight with Yoel Romero due to that particular strike. And as you could see, Robert Whittaker made sure to beat Yoel Romero to the punch in their second fight. He threw a lot more than he did this time around. It is just a very dangerous technique. I think a lot of fighters throw that strike but sometimes it is for different reasons.

When I fought Jorge Masvidal he used that same side kick to the knee. But when Jorge threw it, he was doing so just to keep me away. Not in an attempt to injure my knee. But when I was in the cage fighting Till it felt like ok this guy is trying to break my leg. It was like he had intentions of ripping everything out in my knee. That’s how I felt anyway. Like this dude is really trying to injure me in here. I think it an ugly strike and that it should be made illegal.

ThompsonMandelSherdog.jpg
So my first take on this is that it is very biased coming from Thompson. I like Stephen, but lets face it, there's obvious bias here. Especially when considering his style. Now, that's not to say he's not telling the truth. So lets try to just listen to what he's saying. If we do that, it's kind of taking an advantage away from one fighter and giving it to the other. I do think there's intention to hurt people from some fighters. It was interesting in Robert Whittaker's fight that he was trying to get revenge on Romero. Or it was almost like he was saying, this is what you did to me...let me show you how this feels. But then he stopped doing it.
Maybe they should just ban it. Or provide limitations to the strike. Like maybe there's a safer way to do it depending on the placement of the kick where you can still keep opponent off of you. Or maybe this is just a new aspect of the game that needs to be acknowledged by all fighters. If we increasingly see this as a problem I think it needs to be highly considered for making change. But I think the verdict is still out right now.

If you can't make a living, you're unlikely to make it to 70 anyways

so being a pro athlete is the only way for these people to make a living? i find that hard to believe. since you know, MILLIONS of other people somehow make it without being a pro athlete.

you misunderstood what i said anyway, i said i'd rather have a limp for life than walk around LIKE A 70 yr old azheimer's patient. not many NFL players make it to 70, even with their millions because like i said, their brain is 70 yrs old when they're in their 40s.

probably won't happen. I can see his point but wouldnt it be better just to learn to defend it?

Disagree.

Wouldn’t it also be better to just learn how to defend knees on the ground, soccer kicks, small joint manipulation, eye gouges, and Palhares heel hooks?

Anything that causes serious injury or long term damage should be taken out.

I wasnt just specifying a headkick.... but even with that example you wouldnt say that at the time. A blown ACL is far more painful than any headkick, not to mention the surgery and rehab required

yes i would, because i understand what "forethought" is. i realize, the ACL is painful now, but it is temporary, they have great surgery now a days.

you also wouldn't say i'm sure glad i have my 2 knees now that i keep forgetting my children's names, get angry and depressed for no reason, have thoughts of suicide because i need help tying my shoes, randomly have explosive outbursts of rage and sorrow, and pretty much rely totally on other people to take care of you.

but i mean, it's always a personal choice. if you rather be a lunatic and have 2 good knees, than have bad knees but a functioning brain, that's your choice.

Disagree.

Wouldn’t it also be better to just learn how to defend knees on the ground, soccer kicks, small joint manipulation, eye gouges, and Palhares heel hooks?

Anything that causes serious injury or long term damage should be taken out.

then they shouldn't be allowed to attack the head at all. every head strike is causing long term damage and serious injury to their brain.

this is fighting folks, this isn't ballet.

I really don't think MMA would miss them if they're gone. It's a dirty move.

If you like dirty moves and wanna bring up that weak, tired "why don't we ban punches, too?"
Why don't we unban groin strikes and headbutts? Those are strikes.
i don't see headbutts and groin strikes in the same light. maybe they should add more rules in one organisation and take more rules out in another and see were the fans go.

It's pretty similar to small joint manipulation IMO. Knee is a complex and easily injured thing and it will never heal to be the same after you've injured it. How can you even train that technique and defending it? I know if someone tries to injure my knees in sparring I'll never spar with that freak again. And if the coach tells me alright you're gonna kick each others knees I'll say no thanks, I want to train in the future as well. It's a dirty technique and should be banned like grabbing someone's finger and breaking it is banned.

Strikes can inflict damage to the body that receive them

<WellThere>

Lets just get rid of kneebars as well. Sorry if posted already, only scrolled the first page.

Should have been banned years ago. It’s a dirty move that is used to stall out fights and people can no longer say “bu but no ones been injured by it!” Anymore. It’s Jones’ fault. He is the pioneer of everything cheap

It's fighting

We need to allow more techniques
Not ban more
This, the ultimate marital art can't evolve until all techniques are allowed. If it's allowed people will eventully learn how to counter it or change their stance to nullify a specific strike.

Back