Measuring the power of the hardest hitting middleweights

It took me literally years to get my jab to where it should be. I’ve got a nice, sharp snappy jab now but I’m too old and injured to fight anymore.
I'm in the same boat only my jab still sucks. :oops:

I have done both Kickboxing and Boxing. Of all the combat systems, Boxing is the one I feel you either got it or you don't. Including power.

Every beginner at kicking sucked (myself included). Not every beginner at boxing sucked at punching. Far from it.
We've evolved to punch so I don't find that surprising. I remember giving my neighbor a black eye for making fun of my sister at about 5 years old and had no training at that point. Granted I did have some exposure to boxing watching from my dad's lap but your natural instinct is to make a punch.

Absolutely. That's what I was saying.

Here's my jab.

Your jab has an issue, you lead with your elbow. It will cost you some time and give your opponent more time to defend or counter.

I remembered Earnie Shavers asked about punching power insisting there's a correlation between the ability to chop wood and punch hard.

As it happened, a buddy of mine lived out in the country and asked to see me chop a huge brick of wood with his axe. He told me his buddy failed miserably, and he's a heavyweight.

I killed it my first try. Could do that shit all day. Shavers is on to something:cool:

I've got a feeling that these videos are going to get progressively stranger.

Your jab has an issue, you lead with your elbow. It will cost you some time and give your opponent more time to defend or counter.

I can snap it too. Doesn't look as flashy on youtube though. I wanted to KO a bag with a jab. So power jab it is!

I remembered Earnie Shavers asked about punching power insisting there's a correlation between the ability to chop wood and punch hard.

As it happened, a buddy of mine lived out in the country and asked to see me chop a huge brick of wood with his axe. He told me his buddy failed miserably, and he's a heavyweight.

I killed it my first try. Could do that shit all day. Shavers is on to something:cool:
I think it might be you that's on something. <Moves>

Because you're making a lot of big claims but so so far have only demonstrated on a heavy bag that doesn't hit back. And even that is leaned up against a wall so it doesn't even swing around. Post a video at least hitting a double end bag and your claims would carry more weight.

I love these sort of questions. There hasn't been, to my knowledge a study of the hardest hitting MW's but if you want some idea of how MW's compare to HW's then have a look at this study I link to. To surmise it basically says that there isn't much difference at all in speed of punch, so that doesn't determine the difference in power very much. What matters was what they termed 'effective punch mass'. As you would guess a HW has a higher effective punch mass than a MW. The range of effective punch mass is only measured in mere kilos but quite clearly you could work out that the boxers with better technique were the ones who would be able to generate a higher effective mass by getting more of their body into their punch. HW's have more bodyweight so could get a higher proportion of that weight into the punch, leading to a higher effective mass. Anyway here's the study: http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/39/10/710

Also relating to your question I'm pretty sure that the Olympic boxing team did a study on punch power on it's fighters at the 2000 games and found that Jeff Lacy was the most powerful puncher not the HW's.

i've looked at this title for like minutes and still have no idea what it means.

"Biomechanics of the head for Olympic boxer punches to the face"

Can anyone help?

No problem if it's motivated. He didn't say why.

Btw, do you think my right cross is technically better than my jab? I couldn't tell you which my best shot is. It's either the cross or the jab, that much I know.

Why do you care what I have to say? I’m some random dude on the internet you don’t even know if I have boxing experience.

You’re showing us clips of one punch at a time. That’s like playing one chord on the piano and asking if you’re a great musician.

I don’t think nitpicking about perfect technique is as important as you think. There’s a lot more to landing a punch than not flaring an elbow.

Combat is a dance. It’s the organization of chaos.

Why do you care what I have to say? I’m some random dude on the internet you don’t even know if I have boxing experience.

You’re showing us clips of one punch at a time. That’s like playing one chord on the piano and asking if you’re a great musician.

I don’t think nitpicking about perfect technique is as important as you think. There’s a lot more to landing a punch than not flaring an elbow.

Combat is a dance. It’s the organization of chaos.

There are one punch ko boxers: Shavers, Ingemar Johansson, Wladimir Klitchko.

There are one punch ko boxers: Shavers, Ingemar Johansson, Wladimir Klitchko.

The way you land a punch on a bag is not how you’d land a punch on a person who’s trying not to be punched.

It’s complexity different. A knockout is more about timing.

General studies probably couldn't account for your unique levels of badassery.
giphy.gif

What do you guys think about this as a surprise tactic? Is there a term for it? It looks like an overhand right, minus the looping trajectory

The idea is to load up on the right hand and ducking under/to the side of it where my opponent can't do anything to counter.

The way you land a punch on a bag is not how you’d land a punch on a person who’s trying not to be punched.

That's not necessarily true. If he just stays in the pocket passively, figuring out what to do next, I can throw a feint and fire off a cross just like on the heavy bag. It depends on which range we are fighting at

Back