John Kavanagh Questions McGregor's Motivation; Says He'll Have to be Convinced to Train Him Again

He's a good coach in terms of looking out for his fighter as a person, not just a performer. But I wouldn't say such a thing publicly. I think a long-time trainer should have such a talk with just the fighter to see if the competition is right now more important than everything else.

These are his prime years so it's better to go for it now if he wants it than come back in 5 years or so and go down washed up. If Kavanagh notices he's not really in it, that it's the ego or the character talking, then part ways.

Conor should just retire. After what Khabib did to him, he can’t even sell his fake aura to his most diehard fans. He has nothing left to offer the sport.

Lol if conor changes camps that would be the funniest thing ever since he called dillashaw a snake in the grass

The guy is just eating all his own words as of late

I think it was less about TJ switching camps and more about him trying to play both sides of the fence. Had he just ditched TAM and trained somewhere else the comment wouldn’t make any sense.

Wouldn't be a bad thing for Conor to change camp tbh.
Way too late in the game for that. Maybe get some new trainers and sparring partners. I really couldn't see Conor at ATT or Jacksons.

Lol even Kavannagh knows Conor is done. For his nuthuggers though, it'll probably take one more brutal beating. Lets put him up against Holloway so he can end Conor once and for all.

I get it. John isnt going to be 100% if Conor isn't. He's not going down that road without total dedication.

Conor's been half assing it and John knows that.

At this point, he doesn't need to join any particular camp. He is one of the few guys that can actually have a camp dedicated to himself. Sparring partners are just a few calls and payment away. He is pretty much set for life and he ensured his kids don't have to work with the whiskey deal. How hungry can you be when you already reached the top and every step you take is either trying to top it or fall down. The anxiety must be crippling. His coaches all made money off him and some even opened their own location. The only one that probably wants him to keep fighting is dildo anus since he burnt all his bridges by joining Mcgregor.

Kavanagh brings up many good points. Here are his comments:

From the sounds of it, Kavanagh just needs to be convinced that Conor McGregor is properly motivated for any future bouts.

“Honestly? I don’t know. Will he fight again? I don’t know,” Kavanagh said (h/t MMANytt). “I know him as a person and know that coming off two losses — even though one was boxing — will be hard for him. But he’s 30, two kids, and has a big whiskey deal that’s making him more money than fighting ever did.

“Would you get up in the morning to be punched in the face? I don’t think so,” Kavanagh continued. “But he’ll probably call me tomorrow and say: ‘What did you say that for? I’m fighting in March.’ So I don’t know.”

“He would certainly have to convince me to go again. Yeah, I love him. I love the whole journey we’ve had but I’d need a good ‘why’. It might be [Nate] Diaz again because he promised that fight. It might be a rematch with Khabib [Nurmagomedov]. But if it was just: ‘Well, they want me to fight that guy’ I think I’d say, ‘I wish you the best.’

“He has a wife and two kids now and I don’t want him taking more hits than he needs to,” Kavanagh concluded. “Khabib hit him with a punch in that fight that he has never been hit with in his career. And even Superman slows down at some stage.”

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...ed-to-train-conor-mcgregor-for-another-fight/

How do you guys feel about this?
2 kids?

blah blah

excuses because he isn't fighting the styles of fights that suit him and he knows the Ls are going to keep coming

this is just the same crap we see about money changing a person
yes... it did
but you also came back to your natural division and you're not fighting mentally weak fighters

Kavanghth or whatever is just putting the excuses out there to why conor's career going to change

dumb fight fans will believe it

Imagine how wild Conor would be if he won 229. Khabib really turned things for Conor around. Now his camp is scratching heads.
And it wasn't a close fight. When u get dropped, punched, GNP to close tko, almost kimoraed when Bib is talking to Dana it's very demoralising

Conor is a great fighter and great competitor. UFC would be empty wo him. He has 5 fights and hope it's Dustin Khabib Nate Tony and Max

3 of them are rematch though. Still great

Lol

How will Conor function without the great trainer of champions coach Cavanaugh in his corner

Pffft

Cya later coach

I highly doubt Conor has taken any instruction from him in many a year

John better convince Dana to give him favorable match ups again or call in fighters on short notice.

Wouldn't be a bad thing for Conor to change camp tbh.

History seems to indicate that changing camps usually revitalizes careers unless you change to Edmond.

It’s not that the old camp is bad but moreso that every camp has its limitations and changing camps opens up new viewpoints and avenues of improvement.

Conor should retire. His goal was to get in, get rich and quit. Mission accomplished.

Conor should retire. His goal was to get in, get rich and quit. Mission accomplished.
If he did it before the Khabib fight he would have rode off into the sunset as a God (He lost the Floyd fight but showed well and his stock went up).

Now, while still very rich, he leaves on a very low note of defeat and destruction and his legacy is badly stained.

Good, I hope Conor trains somewhere else.

Is kavanagh right? Sure.

Is he right to say this shit in an interview? No fucking way. He should save that crap for after Conor announces his retirement officially. Then he can say all the shit he wants in a book that he'll make plenty of money off of.

He plays the whole "I'm just a neutral good guy who takes no sides" thing way too far... Until he retires or fires you, you are on his team and you say only positive things about him in public. That's just how it is.

Take Artem for example. Yeah, he's a meme. But he talks Conor up at every opportunity even if it makes himself look like a fool. Even if it means losing a chunk of his russian fans because he's bashing khabib. Even if it means he gets slapped around by his goons.

Then there is coach kavanagh who has something negative to say about Conor every time he speaks.

I'm not even a Conor fan. I don't like the whole wwe shit. But I at least respect his loyalty to his team and friends. He sticks by them and doesn't say an ill word about any one of his team in public. Not even kavanagh who is constantly trying to score points at every turn. He just quietly distances himself and focuses on his own shit.

"He has two kids" - lol
On a recent podcast Kavanagh said he and Conor haven't even spoken once since the Khabib fight which struck me as odd, I got the impression him and Conor have drifted apart.

Last edited:
Conor only has a series of brutal ass kickings waiting for him and everyone who cares about him knows it.

Coach K is smart.

He knows his fighter has been brutally exposed, he's just trying to protect his health.

How was he "exposed" by losing a boxing match against Floyd and losing an mma fight against his biggest stylistically nightmare i.e. pressure + wrestling.

Most people expected the expected results from both of those fights unless Conor landed a good left.

Makes perfect sense and its pretty much the same ting Conor has been saying since before he was famous. It's probably the biggest thing that brings great fighters down from their perches. The drive to stay at the top pales in comparison to the desire to get there.
This is what makes Mayweather so incredible

Disharmony in the camp.

Obviously John can't say exactly what he thinks but i think it's always been fairly implicit that Conor's antics embarrassed him. But they're tolerable when he's winning and printing money for him...

Actually not sure whose side i take here in those circumstances. I don't really care that much either, to be fair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back